Can you walk to anything in ports of Pride of Aloha?

arizonagirl

:) We plan to be on the Pride of Aloha 4/15/07 cruise and wondered if you can walk to anything from the ports. We also wondered if there are any public transportation or shuttles near any ports. Are there any independent vendors of tours near the ports if you don't want to take NCL tours? We are a little afraid to drive in a strange place. Are the NCL shuttles to Lahaina working well, running often, etc? We would appreciate any info, because on other cruises we often enjoyed being on our own in port.

:) We wondered if you can walk to anything from the ports. We also wondered if there are any public transportation or shuttles near any ports. Are there any independent vendors of tours near the ports if you don't want to take NCL tours? We are a little afraid to drive in a strange place.

Not sure what ports you will be at. Like in Maui if you are docking near Lahaina, lots of things nearby. Docking in Kahului, there is Kahului mall for some shopping. What are you looking for?? beach time/shopping/sites to see? Most ports have shuttles & private tours even taxi's. It depends on what interests you have. Lots of info on this Hawaii info. Just do a search for your interests (ie; waterfalls, hiking etc).

For the Pride of Aloha, you'll be in Kahului in Maui -- it's a long walk to anything nearby. They do have shopping shuttles that seem to run fairly often at the port. We had a car, so I didn't pay too much attention to the Lahaina shuttles, but I think I remember seeing that they ran to Lahaina twice during the day. You pretty much have to either do an excursion or get a car there -- most of the places you'll want to do are on the other side of the island.

In Kauai, it's also a bit of a walk to anything, but I saw several people doing it. If you're not getting a car, you really should take an excursion or two here -- the best sites are far from the ship.

Kona is a tender port. Most of the boat trips leave from the same dock that the tender uses, and there are several shopping shuttles waiting at the pier. You can walk to several sites here -- we didn't rent a car and got around fine.

I honestly don't remember if there was anything close in Hilo, but again, the best sites are quite a distance from the port so either rent a car or take excursions here!

I also don't remember seeing any independent tour operators at the ports -- I did notice several Roberts tour busses, but they may have been for ship tours.

Not sure what ports you will be at. Like in Maui if you are docking near Lahaina, lots of things nearby. Docking in Kahului, there is Kahului mall for some shopping. What are you looking for?? beach time/shopping/sites to see? Most ports have shuttles & private tours even taxi's. It depends on what interests you have. Lots of info on this Hawaii info. Just do a search for your interests (ie; waterfalls, hiking etc).

For any real island touring, taxis are prohibitively expensive. For example, it's well over $100 r/t from Kahului to Lahaina. The only port that really has tour operators at the pier is Hilo. Most of the shuttles at the pier are for shopping (Hilo Hattie's, Wal-Mart, etc.). There are tour consolidators along Ali'i Dr. in Kona, as well as along Front St. in Lahaina, but the really super low prices they list almost always require attending a time-share presentation. However, they often offer less-discounted prices with no time share. Taxis to places like Pearl Harbor or Waikiki from the pier on Oahu aren't too pricey, but it would probably cost at least $150 to do a taxi tour to the north shore.

Rental cars really are the most convenient. The cheapest transportation is the bus. I don't recall Kauai having a bus system (but they might). Oahu's bus system is good. Maui's has recently been expanded. But with the bus, your day is on their schedule, rather than your own and the stops may not be near where you want to go.

beachchick

Thank you so much for the information. It will be very helpful. We may be brave and try renting a car. It sounds like the most practical solution. Can you park near Kanapali Beach (spelling?)? Does anyone know where? Are there public restrooms at the Kanapali Beach and in Lahaina?

When we got off the ship in Hilo we were handed a Roberts of Hawaii tour pamphlet and I believe they had tours for all the islands on it. If I can find it I'll check for sure. You could then call them and try to set something up for the other islands or even better, maybe check them out on line and see what they have available.

Emi

Thank you so much for the information. It will be very helpful. We may be brave and try renting a car. It sounds like the most practical solution. Can you park near Kanapali Beach (spelling?)? Does anyone know where? Are there public restrooms at the Kanapali Beach and in Lahaina?

Ka'anapali is a long beach fronting several resorts and a shopping/dining complex (Whaler's Village). There is paid public parking at Whaler's; there is sometimes (maybe always now) paid parking for non-guests at the Sheraton, which is the resort furthest north (there may be a small free lot; not sure); there are a couple of public lots down at the Hyatt (resort furthest south). I've heard (but have no details about) a new lot being opened at or near the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. There are no public restrooms per se on Ka'anapali (except those at Whaler's), but you can almost always use the resort restrooms. There are public restrooms in several locations throughout Lahaina, mostly at the shopping complexes and places like the courthouse.

And yes, renting a car is the most practical and flexible option.

When we got off the ship in Hilo we were handed a Roberts of Hawaii tour pamphlet and I believe they had tours for all the islands on it. If I can find it I'll check for sure. You could then call them and try to set something up for the other islands or even better, maybe check them out on line and see what they have available.

Emi

I've heard some pretty good things about Roberts tours, but have no firsthand knowledge. We did see Roberts vans/buses at all the ports, but the pax getting on them had reservations. Sorry, that's all the info I have.

beachchick

For any real island touring, taxis are prohibitively expensive. For example, it's well over $100 r/t from Kahului to Lahaina....Rental cars really are the most convenient.......

beachchick

I agree taxis are expensive and I would never do it personally but she mentioned she didn't want to get a rental car so that was an option. I read on another post that someone rented a limo & driver for a group of 4 tour. Thats pricey lol.

Archived