New to Princess - Need Help

pat54

We have decided to take our first family cruise. We will be bringing the little cruisers, (4 and 7 yrs old) for the first time in Feb. to the Western Caribbean. We first considered HAL, Celebrity, Disney, RCCL, and Princess. We quickly narrowed our decision to RCCL, and Princess - because Disney was far too expensive, and HAL and Celebrity did not seem to be kid friendly.

Princess looks to have better accommodations and itineraries, but RCCL appears to have a better kids program.

Can anyone please provide any opinions on the Princess kids program?

Princess has an excellent kids program, but it will depend when you are sailing. If you are going on a low sailing week for children{when school is in session}, There will be much less children, and the activities will be structured toward that. If it is a vacation week, there will be lots of them, so lots more going on>

I find it ironic that many families forego Disney cruises because they are too expensive. One would think that Disney would realize that families are looking for affordability when planning a vacation. It's ashame that they make it impossible for the average family to afford to cruise their line. My kids are older so they are past the Disney stage, but I'm sure if I had little ones, they would have loved a Disney cruise.

I can't comment on the Children's Programs on Princess since we've never used them, but the accommodations look very nice.

Have a great cruise!

We have decided to take our first family cruise. We will be bringing the little cruisers, (4 and 7 yrs old) for the first time in Feb. to the Western Caribbean. We first considered HAL, Celebrity, Disney, RCCL, and Princess. We quickly narrowed our decision to RCCL, and Princess - because Disney was far too expensive, and HAL and Celebrity did not seem to be kid friendly.

Princess looks to have better accommodations and itineraries, but RCCL appears to have a better kids program.

Well to tell you the truth if the kids program is on the top of your list you might want to look at Carnival. I know they're not on your list but if they're not because you think its a big drunken frat party thats wrong. Their Camp Carnival is pretty much the standard that all others (including Disney in many ways) strive to emulate. They've got the credentials and the track record to almost guarantee that kids the ages of yours will have a great time

That said, book Princess

Princess' kids program now has all the elements of Camp Carnival but just no awards yet. My "kids" are way older than yours and would be better suited to giving a personal endorsement about who's got the hottest nightclub (Princess would win) than where the best finger-painting program is. But the reports I get and read here from parents of kids in the Princess program indicate a high level of satisfaction within the age group you're looking at. Older teens not so much, but little kids are having a ball.

If the kids programs are pretty much equal the Princess would get MY vote anyway because of the broad range of activities and possible cruise experiences available on board.

If your story was exactly the same except that you were my best friend I would recommend Princess

I'm curious which ship , was it the Rhapsody? I also looked at that ship, however I could be wrong, but I didn't see a kids pool??:confused:

But, the in room babysitting is attractive, I know , I know, this can cause arguments..:cool: :eek:

Because I booked so early, a year in advance, I always have my eyes open for what ever works best for our family.:)

Good Luck and let us know what you decide:D

My kids were 9 and 11 last time they sailed Princess. They absolutely loved the activities and participated 100% of the time that the kids center was open. We will be on the Diamond, October 9. The 9 year old is now 13 and can't wait to go on the cruise. She is planning on participating in all the fun activities she did the last cruise, including karaoke. The daughter that was 11 will now be 15. I'm not sure if she is planning on participating this year. She thinks she is too old for the Princess activities.

Princess really has a great program for the kids. Not sure how the little ones will enjoy the program, but for the pre-teens it is really a great program.

Laura

We will be going on the Carib Princess August 21. In some respects, the Carnival line is better for pre teen-aged kids. My kids (I have kids ages 9,12,13,and 15) have tried both Carnival and Princess--and both has its pros and cons.

Carnival--better kids program, esp if you have 11-12 years olds. Have cabins that fit 5 people. Lots of games and contests (savenger hunt, etc) for kids, with prizes if you won for the kids.

Princess-- are very strict about their age groups eg 7--9, and 10-12. I have a 9 year old son who will turn 10 yo 2 weeks after the cruise, and I am betting he will not be allowed in the 10-12 age group, even though he will be in the 5th grade and is a GATE student who is learning at the 7th grade level. I also have a 12 yo daughter who is in the 7th grade, acts 15, has already taken algebra and will be taking high school geometry this fall, and I bet she will have to stay in the 10-12 yo age group. That would not be bad if the 10-12 yo group activites would be geared to the middle school/Jr high age group but they are not (according to my daughter's opinion). And at least the Carib Princess also does not have a game arcade (A BIG MINUS) or a basketball court.

Pluses for Princess--better food (for example, has the every day menu, for picky eaters who may not like the daily offerings, which I did not find on Carnival), and nicer newer ships (in my opinion). Also for Carib Princess, the "movies under the stars" feature.

We are going on the Carib Princess in just a couple of weeks, hoping that the kids and teens program will be great--but sure my kids will find lots to do regardless.

Sure wish Carib Princess had the basketball courts going and a gaming arcade though. . . .BIG mistake on their part, I think. For example, we were just on the repo Dawn Princess cruise from LA to Vancouver this past May. . .one of the best parts of that cruise for my 9 yr old son was that the kids program offered 1 hour (7 - 8 pm) of FREE game arcade for the kids. . .you can bet he was there for the whole time. (even skipped out of 6 pm seating dinner early to do it)

We've been on both. Your 4 and 7 yrs old will have more things to do on RCCL. They will be ready for Princess when they are older.

Archived