Motion Sickness?

new_cruiser_22

I get a script for Scopolamine gel from my MD. That way you can adjust the dosage instead of having to use the full strength of the patches behind your ear. I have never had any problems with severe drowsiness or dryness and never any psychotic problems. Only difficult part is finding a compounding pharmacist to make it for you.

Also a nurse

I've used the patch, Bonine, Dramamine and more recently ginger capsules. Without a doubt, the ginger worked the best, with absolutely NO side effects. I'll never use anything else. It's also important to keep something in your tummy if you feel seasick, go grab an apple from the buffet or something. You won't feel like eating, but it really does help. Sitting on the upper decks looking at the horizon line also helps. I agree with the poster who said you should start taking it before you step foot on the ship. Seasickness is easier to keep away than it is to get rid of once you get it.

Bonine works well, but even the non drowsy kind makes me want to feel like I want to sleep all day.

I get seasick, just looking the water. We just got back on 4/8. I used one of the remedies recommended by someone posting here on CC.

I started the day before the cruise. I took one ginger pill in am, another in the afternoon, then around bedtime, I took bonine (its a 12 hour pill). This worked great for me. Not once did I feel sick.

Good luck!! Happy cruising!!

As I said before. The best non-prescription aid is Ginger Caps. They work wonderfully. Everyone should give them a try at least once. You will never use anything else.

Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine have side effects. Scopolamine is a scary drug for people to take just for sea sickness. Way too many side effects when there are other meds to take that work better than them.

Always start taking them a day before you fly or are getting on the ship. You won't be disappointed.

Julie

My first and only cruise was to Ensenada during a bad storm. From the moment we left the port I was sick. The front desk will give you motion sickness medicine in little one serving packets. They did not charge me but they were handing them out to everyone like they were candy. They didnt make me sleepy BUT I took them at bedtime after I had a couple nightcaps.

I was 'sick' for a couple of days after we got home. Dane floor wouldnt stop rocking. It was worse for me when we got home.

The motion sickness will not prevent you from having a good time tho!

I used to take ginger pills almost on a daily basis (for vertigo like symptoms) and it worked great . . . only problem was that my acid reflux was serverely aggrivated by them. I agree they work the best, but they've caused some uncomfortable side effects for me.

First question....Where do you get the ginger pills?

Second question....It was said to take Bonine before you go to bed and they last 12 hours. We get on the ship around 3:00, so when should I take my first pill so I can take another one before bed.....thinking bedtime will be 1:00-2:00am. Should I take it in the morning before we fly out?

I don't know if anyone said this or not since I didn't read all of the posts but I wouldn't worry about motion sickness too much. I get motion sickness easily so I got it the 1st night but the rest of the cruise I was fine. Everyone I talked to agreed that after the 1st night you get used to the movement and you don't feel sick anymore. I would bring some stuff for the 1st night though. I used Dramamine and that didn't really help me all that well but it seems to help others a lot.

Not everyone gets side effects from Bonine/less drowsy dramamine, in fact most don't. I have absolutely no side effects at all. Ginger's main purpose is to settle the nausea you feel. The bonine/dramamine actually work on your inner ear where the motion sickness is actually from. I take both and feel great. I'm always tired by midnight, whether I'm on a cruise or at home. Regular dramamine is really bad for that side effect.

It also bugs me when people come on and say not to worry about sea sickness too much, etc. If you are prone to it, you will get it and it's just not worth the time you miss dealing with it when there are meds that will not cause you any problems while taking them. In this case, the cure is much better than the sickness, so always go prepared and don't ASSUME anything just because someone else said "you wont' get sick".

Do all the Carnival ships have the generic meclizine available for free at the purser's desk?

Meclizine is a generic form of the prescription drug Antivert. I don't know if it's free or if you can get it without an Rx. Might want to have your MD write you a Rx. just in case. You can get it filled and take the meds. with you or have it to show MD on board in the event you need it.

Meclizine is a generic form of the prescription drug Antivert. I don't know if it's free or if you can get it without an Rx. Might want to have your MD write you a Rx. just in case. You can get it filled and take the meds. with you or have it to show MD on board in the event you need it.

Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine are Meclizine, so, yes you can get it over the counter. Don't need an RX for it.

Target, Walmart, etc sell it in the health sections. And from what others has posted you can buy the generic in larger quantities than they sell the name brands in. Just ask the pharmacist. No RX required.

Sea Bands work really well also. Had to wear 2 days on 2nd cruise but it was because of the motion. After the 2nd night I was fine. I take so much different medicine the doctor doesn't feel comfortable with me taking the ginger pills and surly not the dramimine?. Guess I will find our for 8 days in October.

Archived