Star Princess review - Western Caribbean

redrobin

This was my third cruise, second with Princess, the first was the Sapphire Princess to Alaska. Last year I was booked on the Star - Western Caribbean but the cruise was cancelled due to the fire, so at the last minute I substituted the Eastern Caribbean on the Celebrity Millennium. For anyone interested, I’ll make a few comparisons to my Celebrity experience and share some thoughts that may be of interest to those of you sailing on the Star in the next few weeks.

EMBARKATION – Although we were scheduled to get to Florida the day before, mechanical problems caused us to miss a connection and we had to take a red eye flight to get to FLL in time for our departure. Being spring break time, I was just glad we found alternative flights and, although we had insurance, was happy we didn’t have to use it. After a quick drive from the airport to the cruise terminal, we had a speedy embarkation and were onboard shortly after 12:00.

SHIP – Thought the Star was clean and in great shape, noticed less wear and tear than on the Millennium, both in our cabins and the public areas. Had two mini-suites, one for my mother and son, the second for me and my husband. We had our cabin steward open the little connecting balcony door so we could easily move from one room to the other. He consistently provided friendly, efficient service. We enjoyed the new sheets and duvets.

DINING – Usually ate breakfast and lunch in the dining room because I’m not crazy about the Princess buffets. In my opinion, Celebrity gets much better marks here, in both food variety and quality. Also, like their free lemonade better than the Princess ice tea. Had Anytime Dining and never had a wait getting a table for four, and we ate in both Capri and Portofino and different times each night. Overall the food was pretty good, some dishes better than others, but I enjoy trying different things. The Princess soufflés are my favorite! Perhaps it has to do with Anytime Dining, but felt that the dining room service could be improved. The servers were friendly and were OK, but few introduced themselves and they didn’t do the little extras that we appreciated with Celebrity. It may also have to do with general differences in cruise line training and expectations, because both my mother and I noticed that throughout the ship the crew on Celebrity was overall more attentive. On one night we did have two excellent servers, so I was sure to give them both a “You Made the Difference” card to thank them for their effort. Noticed a few people who did not adhere to the suggested dress, but overall, for a spring break cruise with lots of kids, I thought the majority of people dressed just fine for dinner.

ENTERTAINMENT – Thought Leah did a great job as Deputy Cruise Director. Unlike my previous cruises, I spent less time in the theater and more time at night in other venues. Thought the one show I saw, “Destination Anywhere” was a disappointment. The singers and dancers were fine, but thought the song choices were a little odd. Enjoyed comedian Tim Walkoe in the Vista Lounge, where I also had fun watching the Newly Wed Game show and Princess Idol final. Also went to the Explorers Lounge for Passenger Feud, Ultimate Trivia and an Art Auction. Went to the Princess Captain’s Circle party, but forget how many days at sea the most traveled passenger had. Anyone know what the record is for a Princess passenger?

ONBOARD ACTIVITIES – Where does the time go during Days at Sea? I never seem to do everything I had hoped. For instance, wanted to do afternoon tea and bingo, but didn’t get to either one this time as well as the Spa. This cruise I did both of the wine tastings, and am glad I tried them, but won’t do them again. Obviously the wine is of better quality at the Maitre d’ Hotel wine tasting, but given the cost ($9.5 vs. $25), I really preferred the first tasting. I liked the cheeses served then better than the canapés and breadstick, wrapped with pancetta or something, served with the second tasting. They served pasta with one wine which was good. At the first tasting you got to keep you dessert wine glass, but at the second tasting you just get to keep a Certificate of Attendance. I guess I’m spoiled because at home I enjoy wine tasting and can sample more generous pours for free at nearby wineries or even a flight of reserve wines for only $5. I did the Martini tasting on Celebrity and really enjoyed doing that.

FUTURE CRUISE CREDITS – Instead of just dropping the Future Cruise Credit form in the box at the Future Cruise Sales area, since I never purchased FCC before, I sat down at the desk and spoke with the Future Cruise Consultant. I told her I was a bit confused about how the program worked because I had read conflicting information on Cruise Critic. I was a bit surprised when she quickly informed me that Princess is aware of what is posted on Cruise Critic. She went on to say that misinformation is being posted, specifically because of the actions of one travel agent who is not following the program rules, and Princess is in the process of remedying the situation. If I understood her correctly, she said that the free onboard credit can be applied to a second person in a cabin; however, that person will have to pay a higher deposit unless they also use a second Future Cruise Credit to get the $100 deposit rate. Hmmm...

PORTS –

Ocho Rios ~ I liked Jamaica more than I thought based on some negative comments I read. I thought the tour of Prospect Plantation and Dunn’s River Falls was interesting. Husband and son did the ocean kayaking to the Falls. I saw where you could leave the Falls without walking through the craft market; however, I decided I wanted to see what it was like for myself. Although the vendors did approach you, they were not overly aggressive, and you could easily just say ‘no thanks’ and walk away.

Grand Cayman ~ Did the Island Highlights and Stingray Sandbar Snorkeling. Getting in the water with the stingrays was easy, not as intimidating as I had expected.

Cozumel ~ Was surprised that we actually docked in Cozumel. I took the Tulum tour. Yes, it was a long process getting there and back, but I love history and am glad I took the opportunity to see the ruins. Husband and son did the ATV beach adventure.

Princess Cays ~ We had great weather except for the day at Princess Cays, which was windy and cooler. The tender back to the ship was a bit rocky! Rented two cabanas but didn’t need them. As others have said, there are lots of other shady places to park yourself for the day.

TIME CHANGE – FYI - We moved the clock back one hour between Sunday night and Monday morning and forward one hour between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

DISEMBARKATION – Again, no problems getting off the ship. Despite a few areas for improvement, I have no real complaints about the cruise and think the Princess product is a good value overall. I met some nice people onboard, and everyone in my family had a good time. I would be ready to sail Princess and the Star again.

Thanks for the review. We'll be on the Star next week. We would also be interested in the wine tasting even though we are not big wine drinkers. Did they also have a martini tasting? We would be more interested in that instead.

Redrobin,

Thanks for the reveiw. I too am sailing on the Star next week. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. This newylwed game show...do you sign up to be a participant? We are getting married the day we sail so I think that would be hilarious to be in.

She went on to say that misinformation is being posted, specifically because of the actions of one travel agent who is not following the program rules, and Princess is in the process of remedying the situation. If I understood her correctly, she said that the free onboard credit can be applied to a second person in a cabin; however, that person will have to pay a higher deposit unless they also use a second Future Cruise Credit to get the $100 deposit rate. Hmmm...

I have been wondering when/if they would stop "adding" the second $100 FCC on the fly, so have been buying adequate for both passengers for some time, so as to not be caught short.

It can't be because of "one" travel agent though. I have added the second $100 FCC from home with two different agents in the past.

Anyway, I advise that no one counts on "adding" the second FCC from home in the future (as we have been able to do in the past)...

Thanks for your report Redrobin!

Redrobin,

Thanks for the reveiw. I too am sailing on the Star next week. I'm glad you had a wonderful time. This newylwed game show...do you sign up to be a participant? We are getting married the day we sail so I think that would be hilarious to be in.

Mshusky, the game is actually "The Newly Wed and Not So Newly Wed Game Show". There were four couples selected who were married varying lengths of times, for instance, under a year, ~10 years, ~20 years, and 40+ years. I thought it was a hoot this sailing!! I believe sign ups are about 15 minutes before the game starts. However, being married on the ship, I'd inquire earlier if you're interested. I'm sure Princess would love to have you participate. Congratulations on your marriage! I hope everyone on upcoming sailings has a great cruise! :)

I have been wondering when/if they would stop "adding" the second $100 FCC on the fly, so have been buying adequate for both passengers for some time, so as to not be caught short.

It can't be because of "one" travel agent though. I have added the second $100 FCC from home with two different agents in the past.

Anyway, I advise that no one counts on "adding" the second FCC from home in the future (as we have been able to do in the past)...

Thanks for your report Redrobin!

NorcalGuy, I agree about the one agent since there has been a lot of differing information posted. It was interesting, however, that the consultant emphasized one agent/agency in particular that she/Princess was interested in getting to amend their practices. In fact she implied that if things did not change, the agent/agency would lose the ability to book Princess cruises. Interesting.

I, too, just bought two FCC, for me and my husband, in case we need them both.

ONBOARD ACTIVITIES – Where does the time go during Days at Sea? I never seem to do everything I had hoped. For instance, wanted to do afternoon tea and bingo, but didn’t get to either one this time

Redrobin,

I was on the Star also last week, my first time cruising and loved it.

Sorry you didnt make the tea. My daughters and I went to tea several days. I have to say the tea was sure better than the coffee....lol

It was actually very lovely, all the servers were in tux and were very attentive. The tea sandwiches and scones were wonderful!!! We always went to dinner later so the afternoon refrestments were very nice....

Thanks so much for the review. We're sailing the Star on the 21st. It's our 2nd cruise with Princess; the first was last year on the Caribbean. We had a wonderful time and loved the ship. We're hoping this cruise will be equally as great. We, as I've noticed some other comments, would really love a martini tasting, too. Hope Princess takes a hint! :)

debbieinva and kooma -

I'll have to make a point to try the afternoon tea next cruise, it sounds lovely! You're right, the tea is a step up from the coffee. Last Princess cruise I took along a coffee press, but didn't bother packing one this time. Some mornings I wish I had! :D

Yes, a martini tasting would be fun! Most afternoons I would go to the Horizon Court for the 'free' ice-cream to tide me over until dinner. But one day I went to a bar and asked for the Chocolate Banana drink that others have posted about. The bartender asked if I wanted the 'cocktail' or 'martini.' I'm sure I would have liked them both, but went with the cocktail. I think it contained blended ice, banana, chocolate syrup, cream, kahlua, and was topped with whipped cream. It was yummy!

• 1 month later...

For those of you who have already sailed on the Star, what cabins would you recommend? We are thinking of sailing on the Star in 2008 when it moves to Alaska for the season. Looking for a mini suite. Which deck?

All the mini-suites are on the Dolphin deck except for a few aft on the Emerald deck. The Dolphin cabins have uncovered balconies, while the Emerald mini-suites have a covered balcony. I had an uncovered Dolphin balcony to Alaska and was fine with that, although some people prefer the covered balconies for added privacy and in case of rainy weather. You'll feel less motion mid-ship if that's an issue.

Some people prefer a regular balcony cabin with a larger balcony (I think they're on the Caribe deck), while I enjoy the added inside space and larger shower/tub in the mini-suites. Mini-suites also have a few added perks that the regular balcony cabins do not have, see below. Hope this helps! Enjoy Alaska!

Mini-Suites -- In Room Amenities

• Luxury mattresses

• Luxury ivory satin pinstripe bed linens

• Fluffy duvets in place of blankets

• Luggage protector on bed at embarkation

• Pillow menu - option of feather or therapeutic pillows

• Luxury towels

• Glass of champagne at embarkation

• Upgraded bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion)

Archived