Who has planned their own land tour (pre or post cruise)?

TeeBuccs

There is a resident promotion for our June cruise thats only good on the cruise. We're going to drop the three day tour portion and save $2600. I think we can do three days on our own for less than that.

Any suggestions. We arrive into Anchorage and sail from Seward three days later.

If we didn't want to rent a car, could we do some tours by bus and/or train?

Any help would be appreciated.

There is a resident promotion for our June cruise thats only good on the cruise. We're going to drop the three day tour portion and save $2600. I think we can do three days on our own for less than that.

Any suggestions. We arrive into Anchorage and sail from Seward three days later.

If we didn't want to rent a car, could we do some tours by bus and/or train?

Any help would be appreciated.

YIKES, that is big money. :) And most certainly, you can do way better on your own. Buses and trains can eat up valuable time with waiting, loading etc. so not always the best option on short trips.

Do you want to include Denali park?? If so, a car is a must, but an extremely easy drive. Depending on your arrival?? How many nights?? On you Seward sailing day, I highly recommend you take the Alaska RR and consider the 11:30am Kenai Fjords boat tour, this is a highlight and loaded with varied wildlife and glacier viewing, far superior to anything from your cruise ship.

Depending on your timing, I can suggest better once you repost.

Thanks Budget Queen... we arrive in Anchorage on Tuesday June 5th mid afternoon. We are sailing from Seward on Friday June 8th.

How long a drive is it to Denali? The tour we were going to take with the cruise included first night at the Anchorage Marriott, a Glacier Discovery Tour and stay one night at the Alyeska Prince hotel, then on to Seward to the Wind Song Lodge. We're open to any suggestions.

Denali would be great - I hear the train is expensive, so driving may be an option.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Barb

Thanks Budget Queen... we arrive in Anchorage on Tuesday June 5th mid afternoon. We are sailing from Seward on Friday June 8th.

How long a drive is it to Denali? The tour we were going to take with the cruise included first night at the Anchorage Marriott, a Glacier Discovery Tour and stay one night at the Alyeska Prince hotel, then on to Seward to the Wind Song Lodge. We're open to any suggestions.

Denali would be great - I hear the train is expensive, so driving may be an option.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Barb

It will be tight but if you want to get to Denali park, you probably can. Since you are coming from Ca. you won't have a big time difference. I suggest you head stright for Denali park after you arrive, it's 240 miles. 5 hours with a meal stop. You'll have to decide if this is an option for you. Wed. get the shuttle to at least Fish Creek. Overnight again at Denali park, next day leave for Anchorage- some sightseeing along the way, stop in Talkeetna for a look, then overnight in Anchorage Thurs night. Early Friday morning take the Alaska RR to Seward. Kenai Fjords boat tour, then on to your ship.

An alt. drive to Talkeetna and stay here the first night. Early am, 3 1/2 hour drive to Denali park, 2pm shuttle to Fish Creek, overnight and return as above. Reservations for the shuttle buses must be made in advance.

If Denali park is too much driving for you, consider Talkeetna and activies between there and Anchorage. I still suggest the train to Seward and Kenai fjords trip as a high priority. :)

Thanks for the info! I'll talk it over with DH to see if he wants to drive as far as Denali. Talkeetna may be a good alternative. Will also look into the train trips you reccomment.

Thanks!

Barb

Archived