Bruin Steve for You

wv4891

Hi Bruin Steve,

Here is a picture of my dog Mickey. I have decided to make him our new cruise mascot (to make this post legal, sort of). The bear in the backround I am sure you know quite well. If things get too bad this fall Mickey has volunteered to put on the pads and play wide receiver. He is faster than any S.C. DB and definitely better looking. ;)

Bill

Bill, I clicked on the site too see your dog Mickey, but it directed me too a search engine called Marsfind or something like that. Is that the secret weapon that those So. C alif schools have come up with to combat the speedy, hard hitting backs that the golden bears and Stanford have. ( not too mention those Pacific NW schools) 4_1_113.gif 4_1_113.gif 4_1_108.gif

Phil

Sorry Bruin Steve,

I screwed the earlier post up. Reposting with the picture, I hope. Thanks Phil, for the head's up.

Hi Bruin Steve,

Here is a picture of my dog Mickey. I have decided to make him our new cruise mascot (to make this post legal, sort of). The bear in the backround I am sure you know quite well. If things get too bad this fall Mickey has volunteered to put on the pads and play wide receiver. He is faster than any S.C. DB and definitely better looking. ;)

Bill

Sorry, wv...

It took me awhile to find it...

I haven't been around in a few days...was down in San Diego for the weekend, then up in Davis the last three days with my younger daughter at her UC Davis Freshman Orientation...

Anyway, yes, I know that Bruin in the picture...

Your dog looks like a very smart dog...

And I don't know about fast, but he's better looking than the SC Cheerleaders...

Well, at least he's more intelligent...

BTW, do you know about the entrance exam to get into USC?

Spell USC...

You have to get two out of three right to get in...

Darn,

They have really tightened up the entrance requirements there now, huh. :D

Sorry, wv...

BTW, do you know about the entrance exam to get into USC?

Spell USC...

You have to get two out of three right to get in...

Hey Phil,

I grew up in the Bay Area . Cal and Standford used to be my teams. But being married to a lady who works at UCLA Medical Center, I have converted in the interest of self preservation. ;)

Bill

I know that a bruin is a bear, but in Northern Caif. they are called Golden Bears, not your run of the mill bruins:D

Phil

Only need two to spell it: SC.

As in "sports champions." ;)

I guess they do own a few "sports championships" there...in the eyes of the SC folks, it makes up for lacking the academics...

Most people recognize that the Marx Brothers' Horsefeathers (1932) was a thinly-veiled allusion to USC...

Groucho: "The trouble is, we're neglecting football for an education ... Have we got a football team? Have we got a college? Well we can't support both. Tomorrow we start tearing down the college."

Of course, the University of South Central does stand NUMBER THREE among American universities in the number of NCAA Championships it posesses...Not too bad for a school that's been around for well over one hundred years now...

And also, of course, I'm sure you all know which university stands at NUMBER ONE in that category? That's right...the new kids over on the NICE side of town..................UCLA

And, yes, "SC" is also known as...

University of Second Choice

University of Spoiled Children

...and my favorite: Up Sh*t Creek

"Fight on for old SC,

You pay your fee,

You get a B...

Fight on for USC,

Donate today,

And get an A

You should go

To USC

Where Dad can buy

A law degree

If you go

To USC

That means you're not

as smart as me...

Just like the Bears and Ducks,

The trojan teams all suck...

Fight on

For USC

It's time to pay

the referee..."

I'm six months post-cruise and another 6 till the next, so what the heck, let's talk song lyrics...

High up in the hills of Westwood,

sprawls offensive to the eyes,

lies a Cal extension campus

known as Westwood High

High, high, high

Home of Bruin bear cubs,

UGLY is its name.

Where the students are vile,

the football team's a pile,

and the campus is a shame!

U... G... LLLLLL.... Y

U-G-L-Y

sucks, sucks, sucks!

and for some numbers and quotes:

1999- USC 17 ucla 7 "It's no fun to lose...We will wake up tomorrow, the sun shine, and we'll be back."- Bob Toledo

2000- USC 38 ucla 35 "That was a terrible defensive display...we've got to live with this for 365 days"- Bob Toledo

2001- USC 27 ucla 0 "A shutout? It disgusts me" - ucla TE Mike Seidman

2002- USC 52 ucla 21 "All I saw was Red" - ucla RB Tyler Ebell

2003- USC 47 ucla 22 "I've lost every time. Came in a loser, going out a loser." - ucla DE Dave Ball

This is good. I live north of the border now, haven't been to an 'SC game since the wobbly field goal beat ucla in 2000, and rarely get to participate in the whole rivalry thing anymore. :)

At some point someone's going to say, okay folks, they're both fine schools, fine people we all are, let's move on from this topic -- but not me, not now anyhow. ;)

It's obvious how you overlooked the 8 years previous to 2000 and how you overlooked where the S.C. campus is in Los Angeles. And you comparing Westwood to where S.C. is? I am laughing hard at the thought. County USC medical center versus UCLA Medical Center. Wilshire Blvd versus the getto.

This is good. I live north of the border now, haven't been to an 'SC game since the wobbly field goal beat ucla in 2000, and rarely get to participate in the whole rivalry thing anymore. :)

/QUOTE]

At some point someone's going to say, okay folks, they're both fine schools, fine people we all are, let's move on from this topic --

I'd love to oblige you on that one, YOW...if only it were true...

Only one is a "fine school", the other is a detention center in the bowels of South Central Los Angeles where wealthy parents pay ungodly amounts of money for a questionable education in order to keep from having to employ their kids in the family business for another four to seven years so as to keep that family business from being run into the ground...

Now, one problem with SC folks trying to tell jokes is that they don't quite get the concept...

Someone at SC apparently found a "rhyming dictionary" (probably miscatalogued at the USC Library with the Coloring Books) and made an attempt at lyrics to one of UCLA's Fight Songs...

But, in order to "work" as comedy, it's got to have some semblance of truth...

So, when you "write" things like "...and the campus is a shame", most intelligent people will question your intelligence...

Let's see:

The USC campus is a crowded urban lot in the shadows of the slums of South Central...One year, an SC Football player was hit by a stray bullet from a drive-by WHILE at Football practice! SC students are warned to stay indoors after sundown...and most SC students run over to Westwood every chance they get...at least, once they figure out how to get there...

The UCLA campus sits on a property multiple times the size of the squat SC confines...on rolling hills, on the "good side of town", nestled between Bel Air on the North, Holmby Hills and Beverly Hills on the East, Brentwood on the West and Westwood Village on the South...

Yet, denizens of the SC slum wasteland think it's clever to refer to OUR campus as a "shame"?

Excuse me, YOW, what drugs are you on?

Of course, again, SC folks generally lack the intelligence to comprehend the basics of humor...So, even telling jokes to them gets difficult...

I told that one about the USC entrance exam to a USC alum once--an honors Mathematics major...He thought it was so funny, he E-mailed it to a bunch of his SC friends...except, as SC people often do, changing the names around...

So, he writes "Spell UCLA--You gotta get 2 out of 3"

Of course, none of his buddies got the math mistake OR the joke...There was a sudden rash of E-Mails to UCLA admissions from usc.edu e-mail accounts--asking for admission...Luckily, even though they all TRIED to spell "UCLA", none of them could...So none became overly depressed about not getting in again...

What makes the standard SC jokes SO DANGED FUNNY is just how true they are...Most Trojies end up at USC because they didn't have the grades nor SAT scores to get into UCLA...Of course, they later all rationalize it by claiming they REALLY wanted to go to SC all along...but we all KNOW that's a LIE!!!

It's sort of like a convict telling you he WANTED to go to San Quentin...

How do you get a USC Alum off your front porch?

Pay him for the Pizza...

Hey I didn't write the lyrics -- heard at many a fraternity/sorority (I lived behind The Row) -- so there's no need to make it personal.

I witnessed a girl shot in a drive-by in front of our building 3 blocks off-campus, and a stray bullet came into my friends' on-campus apartment one weekend as well (though that may have been Raider-fan related). I'm more than familiar with Westwood and its surroundings, and with the disparity between "the good side of town" and the "ghetto" as wv4861 put it (nah, I didn't overlook the 8-year streak so much as have convenient amnesia ;) ). But it is kind of sad, what your postings remind me.

A friend from LA was up here this summer, and asked us where the slums were. I said what slums, pal, this is Canada. So -- and this may diverge from the USC-UCLA thing into an LA vs. non-LA or a US-Canada thing -- my wife and I live in a city that doesn't have a Beverly Hills or Brentwood, but doesn't have a South Central or East LA. And I sleep better at night knowing that.

HEY YOW:

Want some more Football History? I believe it's 8 in the row in the 90's

1998: UCLA 34 USC 17 SYNOPSIS: True Frosh DeShaun Foster scored all four of UCLA's touchdowns (three rushing and one receiving) and Senior Cade McNown finished Bruin career undefeated versus Trojans.

RECORDS: # 3 UCLA (9-0), USC (7-4)

THE LINE: UCLA by 11

1997: UCLA 31 USC 24 SYNOPSIS: USC drew within a touchdown with 2:08 to go and recovered an onside kick. But John Fox was sacked on first down and the next two passes were batted down. On 4th-and-20 from his own 38, Fox's long bomb down the right sideline was picked off by Wasswa Serwanga.

RECORDS: # 9 UCLA (8-2), USC (6-4)

THE LINE: UCLA by 11 1996: UCLA 48 USC 41 (2 OT Series) SYNOPSIS: USC held a 17-point lead (38-21) with less than 7 minutes to play. Bruins scored quickly on their next 3 possessions to knot the score. In it's final overtime series, USC was unable to score as Anthony Cobb intercepted a passfrom Matt Koffler on fourth down. It was the most points UCLA has scored in the series and the highest losing score in Trojan history.

'In what may have been the greatest football game I have ever witnessed, the Bruins, down by 17 with 6 minutes to play, somehow pulled a sure win out from USC and extended the streak, and showed R. Jay Soward not to count his chickens before they hatch. After his touchdown put it at 38-21, he went up to the cameras and said "Five more years? nuh-uh, it ends today. Guess who dropped a crucial 3rd down pass? Soward. Skip Hicks scored the winning TD in overtime, and Cade McNown began his run of winning the big games, with this win over the Trojans.'

- SonsOfWestwood (bhuffman@fishnet.net)

RECORDS: USC (5-5), UCLA (5-6)

THE LINE:

Check this out - #11 USC Lost to unranked 6-4 UCLA Team.

1995: UCLA 24 USC 20

SYNOPSIS:Trojans let time tick away in final quarter and, in the process, saw any chance of a comeback go with it. Bruins scored 21 unanswered points through early in the 2nd quarter. In a highly unusual move, the Trojans let over 9 minutes run off the clock in the final quarter before they finally scored with 3:30 left. USC never got the ball back. The Bruin victory marked the longest winning streak in the series by either team.

RECORDS: #11 USC (8-1-1), UCLA (6-4)

THE LINE: USC by 7

Holly Cow, the crabby Bruin Team 4-6 beats the #13 Ranked USC.1994: UCLA 31 USC 19 SYNOPSIS:

RECORDS: #13 USC (7-2), UCLA (4-6)

THE LINE:

1993: UCLA 27 USC 21

SYNOPSIS: Marvin Goodwin intercepts a Rob Johnson end-zone pass in final minute to preserve Bruin win.

RECORDS: #16 UCLA (7-3), #22 USC (7-4)

THE LINE: USC by 2

1992: UCLA 38 USC 37 SYNOPSIS: Nkosi Littleton knocks down a Rob Johnson two-point convesion attempt to preserve victory.

RECORDS: #15 USC (6-2-1), UCLA (5-5)

THE LINE: USC by 9

1991: UCLA 24 USC 21 SYNOPSIS: Arnold Ale's sack to Reggie Perry snuffs out a USC comeback effort. Mike Chalenski secures fumbled ball and Bruin victory.

RECORDS: #25 UCLA (7-3), USC (3-7)

THE LINE: UCLA by 5

Bruin Steve - I'm also a Bruin Steve (92), lives in Arcadia, works in your neck of the woods (Woodland Hills).

Bruin Steve - I'm also a Bruin Steve (92), lives in Arcadia, works in your neck of the woods (Woodland Hills)

Well, Steve, I think were probably passing each other somewhere on the 134 twice each day...

I live in Calabasas...but work in Pasadena...And I'm from the Class of 1975...

Bruin Steve:

How funny is that. I live in the East side, and works in the Valley. You live in the Valley and works in the East side. I think we should switch jobs. It would help the environment. I would love to work in Pasadena. That would cut my commute significantly.

Archived