Sea Lice & Stingray city any problems?

cruiselubbers

I know all about lice, as I check kids in the grade schools multi-times a year. But I have never heard about "sea lice". I can tell you that we were at Stingray City last week and that was the highlight of the week. We did not book anything off the ship, but saw the boats with 50-100 passengers that did. Little to no interaction. We booked through Native Way http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/shiptours.html and had a wonderful guide that has grown up on the waters there. There was only 9 people on our boat!! And the individual attention and interaction was THE BEST! I HIGHLY suggest going this route if you have any fears or worries!

The name 'Sea Lice' is a bit colloquial, but it actually refers to a condition known as Sea Bather's Eruption. SBE is caused by a reaction to the larvae of the thimble jellyfish.

Thimble jellyfish are a seasonal occurance throughout the Caribbean. The season in Grand Cayman typically runs from April through June.

Some people are not affected at all, but others get an unpleasant rash from exposure to these thimble jellyfish larvae. For those who are particularly susceptible, SeaSafe brand suncream is specially formulated to reduce the potential of being stung.

Archived