Need help deciding - Windstar Windsurf or Seabourn Pride

summerjoy

Hi, I have been on many of the large ships but my husband is new to cruising. I have finally convinced him to try one! I have always wanted to try a smaller more luxurious ship in the Caribbean. We are both in our late thirties, have two children (but are leaving them behind). We want to go in November 2007 either on the 7 day cruises on the Seabourn Pride or the Windstar WindSurf. Can anyone offer me insights that can help me decide? From what I have read so far they both offer excellent service and food. I am leaning toward the Pride because: the cabins in my price range will be larger on the Pride, includes alcohol and beverages, I like seeing my husband in a tux. I like the Windsurf so far because it appears that it might be a younger crowd, I have never been to the Ports of Call, seems like a good value but then again cabins seem small. On the Windsurf might have to get a suite. Thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing your opinion on either ship. I just posted the same question on the Seabourn board.

Hi Summerjoy:

The comparison is a bit like comparing two good champagnes. Both ships are lovely. Having sailed on both ships, my preference is for the SURF.

The service is probably a bit more formal on Seabourn. But my tastes are different than yours in that I distinctly do NOT enjoy lugging my tuxedo along and dressing up during my vacation cruises. Part of my relaxation is having the freedom to dress casually.

You mention that you and your husband drink and Seabourn offers the advantage of not having to pay for every bottle of wine. So Seabourn may be more appealing to you in this regard. One reason I prefer *not* to cruise on ships where booze is free is that it tends to encourage some passengers towards overindulgence and arrangements like this are attractive to alcoholics.

The cabins are roomier on the Pride, but the SURF offers the advantage of having "his and her" bathrooms in the suites. The average age of the passengers may be slightly closer to yours on the SURF.

Will be eager to hear your report on whatever you decide.

Bill

Archived