Whats the earliest you can book a cruise?

I am considering taking my family on a cruise to celebrate my daughters graduation. Thats 2 years away. But it would be nice to start paying on it as soon as I can. If I save for it, something may come up that I have to use the money for.:o I just do better to pay on things a little at a time. Never feels like a sacrifice when I pay on it before I go. Anyway does anyone know the earliest you can book a cruise?

Currently the cruise lines are posting itineraries for their ships. for the calendar year May 2008 to April 2009. In June of each year it appears there are almost two years of itineraries posted, by April only one year.

Be patient, one more year is forthcoming within the next month or so.

While many complain about the cruise lines changing itineraries, keep in mind the cruise lines reveal up to two years in advance.

Since they reveal Alaska, Mexican, Caribbean, and European itineraries over a period of a month or so, I would wait until either they are all up by mid to late May, or once a week. Usually when they are posted, someone will start a thread here revealing the news. At the moment, NCL has posted Alaska only.

You can book your cabin as soon as the itineraries are posted and they are accepting bookings. There are many advantages to booking early.

You have a greater selection of cabin choices and can pick the ones you want including adjoining cabins.

You lock in a price to insure against future increases. Example: We booked a mini-suite for the new Gem in August 2006 for a cruise in January 2008. The price on our cabin category has since gone up over $2,000.

In the event of a price devrease after you book, you can usually apply for the lower price before you make your final payment.

You can cancel without penalty before your final payment so you risk nothing by booking early.

You can book your cabin as soon as the itineraries are posted and they are accepting bookings. There are many advantages to booking early.

You have a greater selection of cabin choices and can pick the ones you want including adjoining cabins.

You lock in a price to insure against future increases. Example: We booked a mini-suite for the new Gem in August 2006 for a cruise in January 2008. The price on our cabin category has since gone up over $2,000.

In the event of a price devrease after you book, you can usually apply for the lower price before you make your final payment.

You can cancel without penalty before your final payment so you risk nothing by booking early.

I personally think if this works for you, it's a good deal. But it isn't something I would do. First, the cruise line has your money, and gets to use your money for months before you ever get on board. While cruise increases do happen, in my experience all I have seen happen recently is that the cruise prices drop.

I book on line. I use the same agency and have for the last seven cruises. The agency is in Texas, and we've cruised out of Florida and Hawaii numerous times without a single glitch.

We wait 90 days out before we are ready to cruise. We find a cruise we want, and we go to the ticker and watch it. Once the discount gets about 60%, we jump on it. Two years ago we went to Hawaii and did the seven day cruise for $599 per person, and we were upgraded to a balcony stateroom on that amount because we were a prior cruiser.

We throw money into savings and hold on to it and pay for everything at once on a card where we get points, and then pay that card off by sending a check the same day. It makes a lot more sense to me to do that than to book two years ahead, but that could also be my ADHD coming into play. I am about as patient as a gnat.

Just my two cents, and probably overvalued by half.:)

Archived