Horse Races on Carnival Miracle

JustJake

We went on our first cruise three years ago on RCI. We had such a blast with the horse races. They do an auction the first day at sea and you buy one of 6 horses. If you get one, you decorate it and carry it around all week. (Its a pole with a wooden horse head on it) Then the last day of the cruise, they do races on the pool deck and the last race of the day is the 6 horses that were bought at auction earlier in the week. It was really fun.

Does anyone know if they do this on Carnival? We are booking a cruise on the Miracle for July, 08.

Thanks!

I went to one horse race on a cruise back in 2000 and it was a blast..but have never seen them since.

Got the honey to finally see a horse race on the Caribbean Princess in February-- nice but not very much participation so that tells me it might not be worth the money to the cruiselines.

Carnival Valor had this horse auction ! It looked like fun! I didn't see the actually race at the end of the week... so maybe some people just missed this event. It was held one afternoon in the Ivanhoe Theatre.

March 07

That's good news! We bought one of the horses and had a blast with it. We won the big race and actually won some decent cash. Plus we won for best decorated and got a few rounds of free drinks as a prize. It was really fun...hoping they do it on the Miracle.

unless they've changed recently.....we've always seen horse races on all our Carnival cruises...(I'm not a big fan)..though i've never noticed an auction.

It has been over a year since we've been on Carnival......but I can't imagine they've stopped them.

We've done both in the past six months, first on the Miracle they didn't, and two months later on the Legend they did. Apparently it's the Cruise Director decision and also based upon the props provided on the ship.

Interestingly, we had the opportunity to meet and have several conversations with many of the senior staff and were told this was a "fundraiser" of sorts as they obviously don't pay off the entire amount wagered, nor the entire amount of the auction.

We never really understood who got to keep the additional funds, Carnival or the staff that puts on the races, but one suggestion thrown out was the Dance staff.

At bingo each day they can accept sign and sail cards for purchase of cards, but if you notice on the races, it's all strictly cash, And no one knows exactly what the amount of the wager (or toke as it's callled in the horse industry) not the payback.

No receipts, no record. I don't know if this is true about who received the profit, but it was obvious the payoff wasn't 100%.

Although I would offer we truly enjoyed the experience. We bought two horses, won one as best decorated and still laugh at the silliness of it all.

I bought a horse on the Pride a few years back. It was a blast! It was in December, so I had decorated my horse with Christmas decorations I had in my stateroom! Was on the Elation last year, didnt see a race there. Hope to see one on the Legend in July, lots of fun!

If it is a horse head on a stick how do the horses race? Im being serious! Is it like when you were a child and it looked like a broom with a horse head on it and you put it between your legs and ran around?

If it is a horse head on a stick how do the horses race? Im being serious! Is it like when you were a child and it looked like a broom with a horse head on it and you put it between your legs and ran around?

New! Horse Racing Race Horse Game Wood Wooden Board Set

from

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Horse-Racing-Race-Horse-Game-Wood-Wooden-Board-Set_W0QQitemZ300103132717QQihZ020QQcategoryZ235QQcmdZViewItem

77_1.jpg.8e98e26ad88b86a71c420ca8779b9f0c.jpg

Archived