Dress Code Enforcement on QM2

brian1977

I wonder if the move to New York home port has led to a more relaxed approach to dress codes? Not that New Yorkers, when they choose to can't be the dressiest people on the planet - but perhaps with all the new passengers trying Cunard some staff have decided the fight is not worth the candle - if they have, its a pity.....

Peter

Peter...I sincerely hope you're wrong about that. It sure wasn't the case when we sailed from Florida. Guess I'll just have to wait til Nov and see if I notice any difference. It wold be a shame if that were the case and Cunard just let it go.

Cheers, Penny

Yesterday and the day before were Informal onboard... I am sitting in a suit for that night and people walking in with a shirt and sweater and not even a tie.

Ed,

Thanks for posting from onboard - does the daily program explain what they mean by 'Informal' - I wonder if those mistakenly dressed think there are only two codes 'Formal' = Tux and 'Informal' = 'Casual'. How do people look on Formal nights?

Peter

My wife and I took our first two Cunard cruises from New York. There was no 'lowering of standards' on these cruises so perhaps you would like to withdraw your remark about New Yorkers dress sense.

No, as I haven't made one (apart from them being the dressiest people on the planet, when they choose - but I guess you aren't objecting to this?)

You can always tell a New Yorker!

You just can't tell them much!

And maybe thats why some Cunard staff are (wrongly) letting it slip.

Peter

I wonder if the move to New York home port has led to a more relaxed approach to dress codes? Not that New Yorkers, when they choose to can't be the dressiest people on the planet - but perhaps with all the new passengers trying Cunard some staff have decided the fight is not worth the candle - if they have, its a pity.....

Peter

Well, according to some others on another thread, shorts are now acceptable for breakfast and lunch.

I agree that it would be a shame if the standards slip - for whatever reason. It's not much of an incentive to sail on her, is it?

Matthew

Ed,

Thanks for posting from onboard - does the daily program explain what they mean by 'Informal' - I wonder if those mistakenly dressed think there are only two codes 'Formal' = Tux and 'Informal' = 'Casual'. How do people look on Formal nights?

Peter

I hope the dress code is explained clearly on material I receive from Cunard because when you say "Informal" I have a feeling you mean dressier than I do!

:confused:

I hope the dress code is explained clearly on material I receive from Cunard because when you say "Informal" I have a feeling you mean dressier than I do!

:confused:

Bunkie...Cunard describes "Informal" as

"Informal: Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress, dressy pantsuit, or similar for women."

On our Caribbean last Dec, this was adherred to and I really didn't see any obvious deviation from what the program called for each night.

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Penny

I hope the dress code is explained clearly on material I receive from Cunard because when you say "Informal" I have a feeling you mean dressier than I do!:confused:

Its not what I mean, but what Cunard mean. Their FAQ spell it out:

Formal: Tuxedo (alternatively a dark suit) for men. Evening gowns or other formal attire for women.

Informal: Jacket and tie for men. Cocktail dress, dressy pantsuit, or similar for women.

Casual: For men, slacks and a sweater or shirt. For women, skirts or slacks with a sweater or blouse.

But I think you are right - for many people 'Jacket & Tie' already = 'formal' - so they may be surprised that is is 'Informal'. I wonder if some other description might be better, like 'Formal/Smart/Casual' - I think most people would 'get' that 'smart' = Jacket & tie

Peter

Okay, thanks for that information. I, personally, think Cunard needs to spell it out....Informal meaning Jacket and tie for men. Of course as someone NICELY (not) pointed out, "you can always tell a New Yorker, but you can't tell him much", even Cunard suggestions might not make the desired point.

BTW for everyone who is outraged at what SOME people wear to the Dining Room, I have personally seen people excluded from the Dining Room on......CARNIVAL (horrors) so you can imagine what they were wearing :eek:

I don't really care what other people wear. I'm a rule follower and have always dressed for the occasion, so I wanted to be sure of the Cunard suggestions for correct dress at dinner.

Okay, thanks for that information. I, personally, think Cunard needs to spell it out....Informal meaning Jacket and tie for men. Of course as someone NICELY (not) pointed out, "you can always tell a New Yorker, but you can't tell him much", even Cunard suggestions might not make the desired point.

BTW for everyone who is outraged at what SOME people wear to the Dining Room, I have personally seen people excluded from the Dining Room on......CARNIVAL (horrors) so you can imagine what they were wearing :eek:

I don't really care what other people wear. I'm a rule follower and have always dressed for the occasion, so I wanted to be sure of the Cunard suggestions for correct dress at dinner.

Bunkie...don't feel bad...my husband bought a little sign for the kitchen..."You can always tell a Norwegian but you can't tell them much!"...basically I ignore it, even tho it's right!;)

As to "Informal", just dress up...our guys wore jackets and ties and I think one night they did wear a suit and tie for the informals. We gals wore dressy cocktail type things. Even on the casual nights it was dressier looking than I expected. You'll enjoy it...honestly

Cheers, Penny

Have I got this right? That most of you can have your lives turned upside down if a handful of people get the dress code wrong for whatever reason.

Do you have nothing better to do on holiday than monitor what others are wearing?

Well, according to some others on another thread, shorts are now acceptable for breakfast and lunch.

I thought that the US brochure said speedos were OK as well:D

I wanted to be sure of the Cunard suggestions for correct dress at dinner.

Generally if you overdress rather than underdress you'll be OK:)

You can always tell a Norwegian but you can't tell them much!

I knew I recognised your picture from somewhere! Didn't you play Rose Nylund?:D :D

I knew I recognised your picture from somewhere! Didn't you play Rose Nylund?:D :D

Bite your tongue Malcolm...I am NOT that old!!! :eek: And my cheekbones are higher than hers!!;)

Cheers, Penny....plotting revenge as I type.....

Angela and I are cut from the same cloth! Very nice to meet you.

I want to say that I couldnt have said it better myself.

Wow, thank you for making that statement. Enjoy all your glamourous cruising.

The Cunard message board is brim-full of people who prefer to dress formally and enjoy the company of others who are like-minded. You will feel at home here.

There are many cruise line 'styles' out there, and how nice it is to have choices. Why on earth would anyone think it a good idea for all lines to be the same when it comes to dress? Should all cabins be identical and cost the same, too? I could go on with rhetorical questions, but mercifully won't. ;)

Have I got this right? That most of you can have your lives turned upside down if a handful of people get the dress code wrong for whatever reason.

Absolutely!

Do you have nothing better to do on holiday than monitor what others are wearing?

Absolutely nothing!

And we've got a code enforcer around here whom you don't wish to fool around with--Sir Martin.

:)

And we've got a code enforcer around here whom you don't wish to fool around with--Sir Martin.

:)

Good grief Angela...don't sic Sir Martin on "those" people (that would be Sir Martin the CAT, just so there's no confusion here ;) )

Cheers, Penny...who never mixes up her "Sirs";)

"No, as I haven't made one (apart from them being the dressiest people on the planet, when they choose - but I guess you aren't objecting to this?)

You can always tell a New Yorker!

You just can't tell them much!

And maybe thats why some Cunard staff are (wrongly) letting it slip.

Peter"

(With apologies don't know how you do the highlighting bit)

Actually, I left out the second part of my response. I am en ex-pat Brit now located in New York and found that since I came here my business counterparts are far more well-dressed than they were in the United Kingdom.

But that's Brit's isn't it. Come from a small island and think they know everything.

Oh good god, somebody PLEASE throw in the towel!

It's simple: There are people who are going to abide by the "suggestions" and those who won't. If you're one of the majority who do, life is good. If you refuse, you risk looking like an idiot,...but only to those who care enough to notice you in the first place.

Do I get annoyed when I see a table with one dork dressed in a polo shirt and everyone else is in their best? Only momentarily,....and then I duck my head, point to the menu and say "I'll have the steak,.....rare".

-Russ

Well done "linerguy". I couldn't have said it better.

We are very much looking forward to our first trip on QM2 next February but I now know I am going to be worrying myself so much over the next 10 months about what I should pack to wear each evening. I'll be sending poor hubby out each evening to see what everyone is wearing before i decide on my outfit for the dining room. Just hope I don't offend half of you who seem to have nothing other to do than see if everyone fits in properly with THEIR choice of attire.! Lets all relax and enjoy cruising!:rolleyes:

Well done "linerguy". I couldn't have said it better.

We are very much looking forward to our first trip on QM2 next February but I now know I am going to be worrying myself so much over the next 10 months about what I should pack to wear each evening. I'll be sending poor hubby out each evening to see what everyone is wearing before i decide on my outfit for the dining room. Just hope I don't offend half of you who seem to have nothing other to do than see if everyone fits in properly with THEIR choice of attire.! Lets all relax and enjoy cruising!:rolleyes:

Really, there is no need to worry. Cunard explains each style of dress with examples that makes it all quite clear. The hardest part is deciding at home which new dresses, etc. you wish to purchase and how many pairs of shoes you wish to bring!

Good grief Angela...don't sic Sir Martin on "those" people (that would be Sir Martin the CAT, just so there's no confusion here ;) )

Cheers, Penny...who never mixes up her "Sirs";)

Meeeow!

Doesn't he realise if he stayed in the kennel instead of the Grill cabins he could get one of those smart pet coats/jackets?

Really, there is no need to worry. Cunard explains each style of dress with examples that makes it all quite clear. The hardest part is deciding at home which new dresses, etc. you wish to purchase and how many pairs of shoes you wish to bring!

Angela...I have no problem with that...I just take it all...just ask my poor husband who has taken to calling himself the packhorse.

Cheers, Penny

Angela...I have no problem with that...I just take it all...just ask my poor husband who has taken to calling himself the packhorse.

Cheers, Penny

Excellent suggestion, Penny! Just bring everything, including extra treats for the poor packhorse--he'll need to keep his strength up.

Archived