Hawaii Long Flight American Airlines

marcyjane

I personally wouldn't bring a cooler along - espeically as it would most likely count as one of your carry-ons.

If packing a sandwhich or something, just either wrap it up & throw it into your backpack/purse or just carry it in a small paper bag like you get at the grocery store that can be discarded along the way. When I'm on early morning flights I routinely bring along a breakfast sandwhich and some fruit from home and never have a problem with it at security (the only problem could be is if you wrap it in foil, but that might just cause a secondary screening - that's all). Food is not prohibited at the check point (at least yet).

I wouldn't worry about drinks, especially as you can't take liquids greater than 3 ounces past security (I've seen many coffees, water bottles, etc. discarded at the check points). Non-alcoholic drinks are still served free-of-charge on board so I'd just get your beverage at that point (plus one less thing to carry along).

Quick question, with all the new airlines security now are we allowed to bring a small lunch type cooler with food and drinks from home, or do we need to wait until we pass security and stop and pay stuff at the airport vendors on the way to the gate area.

I guess I just want to make sure and not hold up the security line for a lunch cooler with a sandwich and chip, drink etc.

Maybe there are some people on these boards that work for American that can help as well.

And I know I can always call the Airlines, but you know how long the Hold wait can be.

Thanks so much for your time and trouble helping me do right!

Marcy

A collapsible cooler, with an ice pack is OK. Sandwiches/chips/cookies, etc ONLY. NO Drinks.

None of us have a problem answering your questions. Please don't feel as if you are imposing.

Based upon my recent travel experiences, I don't think they are letting people take the refreezable ice packs through Security these days.

It definitely will depend on the airport. LAX and PHX allow it, JFK says no. YMMV

Archived