Anyone have any thoughts on wearing Jeans

CruisinShips

I personally would like to know why some things are considered ill-mannered.

For instance, wearing a hat, why on earth should it bother someone if someone else is wearing a hat indoors or at dinner, or anywhere else for that matter? Does it really make you feel better to look at their head?

Doffing a hat to a woman, why? Would not a friendly wave of the hand suffice?

Standing up when a women comes to the table or gets up? What purpose does it serve?

Stating that that is the way it is, is not really an answer. Similarly neither is "it is good manners" an answer.

Lots of things in life are pointless and so are most of these useless behaviours and traditions. Perhaps the new generation is more willing to avoid doing things like this for no good reason.

Just my .02 pence.

Cheers,

Peter

Dear Peter,

Social customs may be arbitrary, and may vary from place to place and time to time, but there are good reasons for them. They promote social cohesion by showing mutual respect in the way it is shown in that particular society at that particular time. For instance, there is nothing wrong with the use of colorful language among one's same gender peers. If you swore in front of your mother and her minister, you would embarrass her and hurt her. Similarly, the line may be shorter during the playing of the national anthem at a ball game, but other patrons may look askance if you choose that time to run up to the concession stand for a hot dog.

So it is with hats, forms of address and forms of discourse. Disregarding the local customs shows either ignorance of them (often an excuse for travelers) or, as seems to be your case, disregard of them in pursuit of other goals. This will be understood as disrespect and discourtesy by those who do follow the local customs, no matter how much you claim no disrespect is intended. Those who perceive your actions as discourteous may, I'm afraid, be tempted to respond with discourtesy. Is it really so difficult to show respect for others in the way they expect it to be shown?

I guess I either am very tolerant to everyday life or I just dont care. Prob the later. To me, this is all just like going to dinner in a nice restaurant in town. I dont care what they are doing, wearing, eatting, drinking, or saying. I am just there for me. Y'all can wear or not wear all the jeans, shorts, tank tops, hats or go naked all y'all wants. All I care about is my food tasting good!!

Ok, so there:)

...oh those darn hat wearing yankees, that's ok, it is rude, crude, inpolite and innappropriate to own slaves either, even though Southern genteel society would have gladly continued to do it today :rolleyes:

Actually, slavery would have died out anyway with the industrial revolution ;)

I started a new thread on this, just because I've never seen it worded this way, and wondered if this was new??? This is straight from Carnival website. It appears to me that they have stopped "suggesting" attire, and just now say "you can dress casually, no shorts or tank tops".

Quote from Carnival Website: You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

I do know that custom about the hand offering. Yes that is an old Southern custom. I always noticed when growing up in the 50's that men donned their hats when a lady approached or was present. Men rose when a lady came to the table. Very civilized when I now look back at this. Lots of old Soutnern tradition would now apply well if people would use them. Ingore the post about slavery that was directed to you, had nothing to do about your post.

Have alot of memories of growing up in the South in the 50s and 60s' and the traditons passed down. Treating everyone with respect was upmost.

Dan

Thanks, that post doesn't bother me, Just proves my point that there is a lack of social graces in society today!:) The time they are talking about was a very cruel time in our Nation's history and sorry to say there are still people with that mindset. However, I think we all know that I am talking about being polite and respectful, and yes, I love being treated like a lady, with respect. I even say, please, and thank you. I actually said, "Sir' to an older man where my husband was playing music one night, and he thought that was just the nicest thing, that someone would actually use such a term! The people at that table talked about it all evening. It actually did make me feel a little funny, to know that people have become so lax in their respect for others. And beleive me, when I say, I have seen the looks on others women's faces, when they see my husband, make sure that he is on the outside of the curb, when we are walking, or he opens a door for me, or takes my hand to help me up the step! And so that no one gets the idea that this is a Southern issue, he happens to be a tried and true YANKEE by birth!!:) Was actually raised on a farm, I think they call them Midwestern Values!!!

Drews Wife, I do agree with you. Manners in todays society are almost non existant. Politeness has gone out the window. People are almost shocked when you hold a door or an elevator for them. Call them "sir" and they don't even know how to react. Have a man stand up from the table when I get up? Amazing! And lovely!!

But, I still believe, there is a difference between being impolite and rude, and wearing something that others don't deem appropriate. Some of the people that I have found to be the most rude and condescending are those that would never consider wearing jeans in the dining room. We need to look at the PERSON, not the jeans.

Drews Wife, I do agree with you. Manners in todays society are almost non existant. Politeness has gone out the window. People are almost shocked when you hold a door or an elevator for them. Call them "sir" and they don't even know how to react. Have a man stand up from the table when I get up? Amazing! And lovely!!

But, I still believe, there is a difference between being impolite and rude, and wearing something that others don't deem appropriate. Some of the people that I have found to be the most rude and condescending are those that would never consider wearing jeans in the dining room. We need to look at the PERSON, not the jeans.

I agree that we should look at the person, and not the clothing, but I still stand by the fact that a man should not wear a hat at the dinner table. Not only iis it rude and impolite, it is inappropriate. I guess the only time I would reconsider that is if he were trying to cover up his "head lice" and was trying to make sure that they did not fall in my dinner plate!:eek: Then I guess he would be trying to be considerate of others!!:D

Yep, I defend the jeans wearers although I'm not one of them, but a hat at the table??? NO NO NO!!!! My son, who is in 8th grade and wears a hat often, knows not to even think about wearing his at our dinner table, let alone in the dining room on vacation.

Even worse, in my opinion, are the men who stand in the buffet line with no shirt on, and/or bare feet.

Yep, I defend the jeans wearers although I'm not one of them, but a hat at the table??? NO NO NO!!!! My son, who is in 8th grade and wears a hat often, knows not to even think about wearing his at our dinner table, let alone in the dining room on vacation.

Even worse, in my opinion, are the men who stand in the buffet line with no shirt on, and/or bare feet.

These people I would have no problem, asking them point blank, to please leave and go put on some clothing as they are quite disgusting and even very unhygenic! If that didn't embarrass them to the point of leaving the area , then I would just pretend to fall over in a "Southern Swoon" Ialso known as ("The Vapors") for our Northern Friends:D and faint dead right there! When they wanted to know what was wrong, I would inform everyone, that I was just overcome from the so manly person with all the chest hair that was in the buffett line!

Completely disgusting. Didn't see it on the Freedom Med cruise (well, obviously), but on the Destiny and on the Inspiration, I saw it several times. I mean... GROSS!! Put a flippin shirt on!

Next time, I'll feel the vapors coming on... :p

I started a new thread on this, just because I've never seen it worded this way, and wondered if this was new??? This is straight from Carnival website. It appears to me that they have stopped "suggesting" attire, and just now say "you can dress casually, no shorts or tank tops".

Quote from Carnival Website: You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

Although I will pack my jeans I thought Carnival changed their website. I went to check and the FAQ is still the same. Figured I would post it nicely before the flame throwers did :eek: :

faq.gifspacer.gifIs there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Yes, but if you go to FAQ's and click on "what should I pack" there is DEFINATELY the quote in there about the rest of the nights being "casual, no shorts or tank tops". It's only when you read down further that it then states "resort casual" with the suggested attire. In my opinion, it contradicts itself, which could be very confusing to some. I'm too lazy to look it up again, but it's there. ;)

ps - and thank you for being nice. :)

Yes, but if you go to FAQ's and click on "what should I pack" there is DEFINATELY the quote in there about the rest of the nights being "casual, no shorts or tank tops". It's only when you read down further that it then states "resort casual" with the suggested attire. In my opinion, it contradicts itself, which could be very confusing to some. I'm too lazy to look it up again, but it's there. ;)

ps - and thank you for being nice. :)

I don't think it contradicts itself at all... it tells you what to pack for the ENTIRE cruise, and then says in the same paragraph whats acceptable for dinner.

I don't see how it could be confusing, they are able to navigate a website to buy a cruise, or to buy an airplane ticket, etc. But again thats just my opinion.

I do agree with you that some will say "but it says shorts & tshirts are OK" its just seeing what someone wants to see and omitting the rest.

some will say "but it says shorts & tshirts are OK" its just seeing what someone wants to see and omitting the rest.

Absolutely, that was my point. Others will take what they want, and leave the rest behind.

Jesse's mom, you never wear jeans to go out to dinner in town? ;)

Jesse's mom, you never wear jeans to go out to dinner in town? ;)

That's jesse "mon" as in male .....:eek: Glasses help while posting...LOL

And "NO"...I never wear jeans to go out to dinner.....

I prefer "Not"to dine at "Mickey D's"........:p

are dressing yourself and not worrying about what others do, nor using what you think is right for yourself as a standard by which to judge others! Well, to me that should be considered good manners anyway. To me that is FAR more important than whether one wears Dockers or designer jeans to dinner on a cruise ship.

These people I would have no problem' date=' asking them point blank, to please leave and go put on some clothing as they are quite disgusting and even very unhygenic! If that didn't embarrass them to the point of leaving the area , then I would just pretend to fall over in a "Southern Swoon" Ialso known as ("The Vapors") for our Northern Friends:D and faint dead right there! When they wanted to know what was wrong, I would inform everyone, that I was just overcome from the so manly person with all the chest hair that was in the buffett line![/quote']

the person standing on the buffet line half naked will more than likely step over you and be pissed off at you out for lying in front of the good pastries that now he can't reach without stepping on you :D

In fact....lol... I think people on a buffet line will be just trying to get someone to come and drag you out of the way - you are causing them to waste precious time they could be stuffing their faces ;)

No mercy for those who hold up the buffet line :p

Completely disgusting. Didn't see it on the Freedom Med cruise (well, obviously), but on the Destiny and on the Inspiration, I saw it several times. I mean... GROSS!! Put a flippin shirt on!

Next time, I'll feel the vapors coming on... :p

Glama, Thanks for the info about the Inspiration! I still have a few months to practice "my swoon" and to make sure my accent is at it's best with "But, Captain, my dear Sir would you mind doing little ole me a favor?" !;) :D

That's jesse "mon" as in male .....:eek: Glasses help while posting...LOL

oops, my apologies!! Must have been the merlot I was drinking at the time. ;) I knew a jessiesmom on another fourm, my brain went into unconscience mode.

There is also a practicle reason I don't bring my jeans to the Caribbean (On our Alaska cruises I did, just not in the dining room) The humidity! The hot humid weather in the Caribbean seems to get into the jean material and make them very uncomfortable! I wore mine in Cabo on a land vacation and they felt icky!

Where I live in Stanwood Washington State and all around me people are very polite to each other. They will always hold the door when walking into a store first etc. They say excuse me etc. But when I go down to Seattle, not so much. I like it when people are polite and show respect for others. I like when a man stands when woman walks in and seats herself. It is a nice way to show respect for our fellow human beings. I raised my sons to be this way as well. My husband would never wear a hat to dinner at a restaurant etc. I think if he didn't do these things way back when I met him 35 years ago, I would not have dated him twice.

There is also a practicle reason I don't bring my jeans to the Caribbean (On our Alaska cruises I did, just not in the dining room) The humidity! The hot humid weather in the Caribbean seems to get into the jean material and make them very uncomfortable! I wore mine in Cabo on a land vacation and they felt icky!

Would never wear them ashore, but traveling in airports, airplanes, and onboard the ship, jeans are supreme, they protect, are comfortable and keep me just right with all the air conditioning!!!

Archived