Get on board and then what?

kathy-ann

Just four weeks to go now and I'm getting really excited:D

I was wondering what you cruise experts do as soon as you get on board the ship. I'm sure I'll be overwhelmed because there will be so much to see and do but what advice would you give as to what you'll be doing first. Do you explore, get something to eat, find a vantage point for photos as you leave port, or what? Is there something that non-cruisers wouldn't know about that would give us an advantage?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

>>Do you explore, get something to eat, find a vantage point for photos as you leave port...<<

That's exactly what we do, in that order, because we're always on board early, usually before our cabin is ready.

Murray

We normally drop off our carry-on luggage in our cabin if it is available. Head to wherever the buffet is being served.

Look over the ship's map (if unfamilar with the ship).

Take pictures of the public areas.

Find our dining room table to ensure our seating request is honored. If not, see the Maitre 'D and change it.

Return to our cabin and unpack if luggage is there.

Go up on the highest deck and watch the people boarding the ship.

Return to cabin and get life jacket for muster drill.

Return life jacket - Let the cruise begin! :)

You might also double-check that any reservations/purchases you made for excursions/specialty dining/coffee cards, etc. are correct (the tickets/vouchers are probably in your stateroom). Then decide if you want to make any other reservations--but be aware that some venues may have discounts available later at their "orientation" meetings. Try to find out which night(s) are Formal or theme nights--this may help you decide on when you want to try "alternative" dining. Some ships have small or pocket-sized folders with the deck plans and venues listed--each one get one, and mark your cabin location so you can begin to learn which way to turn when exiting the elevators/lifts! Make sure your mini-safe was left un-locked by the previous cruiser and practice opening/closing/locking it several times before you put anything in it. See if you can store your luggage under the beds--that saves a lot of space and is a good place for dirty laundry. If your ship has self-serve laundry (and you plan to use it), see how much it costs, what coins/bills the machines take, and what supplies are available. Ask if the ship has any "specials" on laundry/dry cleaning--especially if you don't want to spend time doing your own laundry. If you need to get anything ready for the first Formal night, see if you can turn it in right-away, to avoid having to use "rush" service. If you have a fridge/minibar, decide if you want the steward to empty it so you have room for your own libations/snacks. Be aware some ships have sensors on the items and you might be charged if you remove anything yourself.

If you don't want to do all this "micro-management", just relax and enjoy the thrill of being on your (first?) cruise--thousands of others have done just that and not been seriously harmed!

On the photos of the ship - I usually wait until things are less crowded and congested. Early mornings are great for this. Don't forget the night shots with everything lit out on deck.

Eating is usually our first stop, since DH & DS are both bottomless pits! Then we go find the kids area and explore the rest of the ship.

Don't forget to go to the spa and reserve any treatments you might want ... you get to choose the times you want if you do it early otherwise the time selections book up quickly. Even if you are not sure if you will actually 'do' the treatment, if you book it so that you can cancel 48 hours prior (eg if you book it for day 4, 5, 6, 7 etc.), there is no cancellation fee if you decide not to go ahead.

Ok, so I've only been on one cruise so far (Carnival Liberty to the Caribbean), but I traveled with a group of teachers and we flew in the same day that we boarded the ship. I did something a little different - I got something to eat and then I took a NAP! Part of me thought - "No napping! You need to check out everything while you can!" but I was so tired and grumpy from all the travel that I did it anyway, and I'm glad I did. I was much better able to enjoy the rest of my day.

So, throughout the trip, I took naps whenever I wanted. It was awesome, and it made me a much happier camper when I was doing all of that other fun stuff!

We will be on the Princess train from Denali and arriving in Whittier at 5:15 p.m. Ship leaves at 9:30 p.m. What should WE do first, etc. First time cruisers here, so any insights are appreciated. THX!

Nextelcup - First thing I'm going to do is to make reservations for the night(s) we want to have dinner at the specialty restaurants (Sabatinis and Bayou) by calling them from our cabin (no sense waiting in line). Then make sure the spa treatment I reserved for "US" is in place. Then explore a bit (including finding that special whale viewing location at the front of the ship). Then unpack. Then have a drink - hmm maybe that'll come earlier. :D

Then dinner. Then CRASH!!!

Less than 2 months to go, right?

Sam

This will sound stupid, but for your first cruise, make sure you and your traveling companion are on the same page about sail-away (or anything else about a cruise). My first evening on our first cruise was disappointing to me because after watching "Love Boat" and movies with cruises in them, I pretty much had only one expectation: standing at the rail with my husband during sail-away. Well, after muster drill, I didn't want to hang around for sail-away with those life jackets, so the women in our party decided to take them back to our cabins. We told the men we'd be right back, and they said they'd wait for us right where they were. We practically ran the whole way (the elevators are pretty busy right then--we didn't even wait for elevators), got back to where our husbands were supposed to wait, and...no husbands. No offense to my girlfriends, but sail-away wasn't quite the romantic moment I had envisioned for...hmmm...how many years since "Love Boat" has been on TV? When we found them I expressed my disapppointment to my husband (after he realized something was wrong:( ), and of course his reply was, "That was important to you?"

Such an easy way to make me happy, and I didn't let him know, not knowing that he wouldn't think of it on his own. And he's usually such a mind-reader!:rolleyes:

Archived