Driving through Houston....

ChristieDawn

I was just on I-45 South (Gulf Freeway) in the Clear Lake area of Houston - about mid-way between metro Houston and Galveston - and there are signs up on the freeway announcing a "closure of the causeway" on Sunday. No hours were given. Anyone traveling on I-45 to the Galveston cruise terminals on Sunday might want to allow some extra time.

I was just on I-45 South (Gulf Freeway) in the Clear Lake area of Houston - about mid-way between metro Houston and Galveston - and there are signs up on the freeway announcing a "closure of the causeway" on Sunday. No hours were given. Anyone traveling on I-45 to the Galveston cruise terminals on Sunday might want to allow some extra time.

Thank you! Do you know if it will be closed on Monday?

Some of the people on the Roll Call are coming in on Sunday so I will let them know!

Thanks, Springtxbill, I was trying to find those details and not having any luck. I'd think there might be some back-up traffic but, with just those hours of closure, it shouldn't be bad.

Right now the construction around the NASA exit isn't too bad either as they have it routed well. We're all REALLY looking forward to the period of time when they are constructing the flyover lanes?!?!?!? That should cause some monumental traffic jams if it occurs during the summer when everyone is heading to the beach/cruise terminals in Galveston - and it looks like it will. My advice to all cruisers heading to Galveston this summer is to hang on to the site that Springtxbill provided and check it before you leave home.

• 4 weeks later...

we don't live far from IAH. it is a bit out of the way but I would take beltway 8 west and then south to i-45.it is worth the bucks ( it is a toll road) but there are rarely any wrecks to shut down massive lanes. if you have pc with you check out the traffic links on http://www.khou.com

• 4 weeks later...

We live West of Houston in Katy...I ALWAYS take the toll road to Galveston. It's $10 in tolls both ways from my house...would be $12.50 to and from from I-45 ( I believe...I might be missing one toll booth.) Once we get off the tollroad...there is a hang up there near a mall (not sure of the exit).

Archived