Docking at New Zealand ports..port or starboard?

Kinkacruiser

Hello there,

I'm curious to learn about docking alignments. Which side of the cruiseliner docks alongside the wharf at all the NZ ports of call, ie. Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington, Napier, Tauranga & Auckland. We have a suite on the right side (facing the front) and I think that's the starboard side?

Thanks if you can help me.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

If I recall correctly, these were the sides facing the dock on our March 2007 Princess cruise:

Auckland - starboard (right)

Tauranga - starboard

Christchurch - starboard

Dunedin - starboard

Hobart - starboard

Melbourne - port

Sydney - starboard

nice Kia Ora Ron

Its been decades since I did the ferry trip from Christchurch (Lyttelton) to Wellington. All I remember being a kid and all at the time was how beautiful the scenery is while puking my guts out over the .... port side :p

Why am I going on my first cruise?

Wellington is port side docking ... They get a great view of the "Cake Tin" stadium, railyards and a bit of the city. Starboard Fwd side you will be looking at the posh hillside suburb of Khandalla with nice harbor views towards the city of Lower Hutt (you win) ohh and don't laugh at me ... the one in bumper to bumper traffic on the motorway because everyones looking at the cruise ship :p

Kakete (see ya later)

:)

Kia Ora Mipps,

You aren't the girl from Upper Hutt I met on the old "Rangitira" almost 34 yrs ago (Jan 73) are you? Where in NZ are you from?

The reason I ask was that I was touring NZ as a younger 25 yr old then and took the "Rangitira" back to Wellington on the overnite sailing. Well you were right...it was a rough trip, and I befriended this girl from Upper Hutt (who later got into law if I recall) but she was having a conversation with the fish in the ocean from the promenade deck. I never forgot Olenka and we lost touch.

Anyway it was rough and we ended up in Upper Hutt where her folks were so kind to put me up for the night before I hopped on the old "Silver Fern" railcar service to Hamilton.

Ya gotta luv the old "Rangatira"... it's too bad that air travel took over from the Wellington/CHCH ferry service. Loved the South Island overnite cruises.

Ciao for now!!!

*spooky*

IT WAS JANUARY 1973 on the Rangatira . I was a 6 year old boy and it was a week before I started back at school at the beginning of Feb. I was from Palmerston North then. I flew down to Christchurch on my first ever plane and the Rangatira on the way back was the first ship I had been on. I KNOW WHICH ONE I PREFERED :p

I do love the ferry trip from Wellington to Picton. The scenery as you pass through the Marlborough Sounds is worth every penny.

queen-charlotte-sound-nz.jpg

thanks for the trip down memory lane captainron ... sorry to sidetrack on your thread Kinkacruiser

E noho ra (goodbye)

Scott + Mihi

• 1 month later...

We are just back from our Sydney to LA cruise on the Sapphire Princess.

In Dunedin it was Starboard side. Christchurch - Port Side, both of the ports are quite away from the city so there are no views of either city.

Wellington you will disembark on the Starboard side with the best views of the city on that side. In Auckland the ship will pull in beside the Hilton Hotel and you will disembark on the Starboard side, your view will be into the Hotel. The best views of the city are forward and starboard side.

Hope that helps, I think it should be the same for most cruise ships.

Archived