Balcony suites on NZ cruise

Kinkacruiser

Hellow there,

What sort of mileage does one get by having a balcony suite where the cruise takes you though windy, cool-cold areas, such as NZ? We are off in late Feb next year. This is our first balcony booking and I'm just wondering if much time can be spent out there, (sipping wine and watching sunrises/sets of course), considering the conditions outdoors. Is the balcony more suited to the tropics? Would like your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Kinkacruiser

We traveled in March this year and had quite a few nice days. We sat on the balcony almost every afternoon, and especially enjoyed watching the port departures while having a glass of wine.

I did have to wear a light raincoat on the day were were in Fiordlands (we had a totally uncovered balcony - Princess mini-suite). This is usual there. It wasn't terribly cold, though.

I would think in February, which is usually a warmer month, you'd be likely to have a number of nice days. That said, the weather is changeable, so bring layers.

We had a balcony on the Sapphire Princess in Feb07 around NZ. We used it a lot, we had perfect weather except in Fiordland where is was misty and drizzling rain but not cold, cleared up though for us in Milford Sound. But just be aware NZ is known as the land of the "Long White Cloud" and the weather is very unpredictable. Guess we were very lucky.

I didn't know what to expect but paid the extra money for the balcony and it was totally worth it. Our balcony was a the rear of the ship on the Emerald deck. It was covered and protected. It's very quiet. Our neighbors had twice the space but they had a suite. We still had plenty of room to entertain. There were four chairs and a small table on the balcony and room to stand as well. We sat there as we were leaving port and we ordered room service for tea and cookies. We had a minibar with ice and sodas. The Fiordlands, were misty and I used a raincoat but we went to the top of the ship to get photos. We could have enjoyed the view from the balcony as well but couldn't resist going topside. Most of the time, it was great to leave the sliding door open to listen to the waves and get fresh air while in the solitude of our room.

We participate in many activities in the public areas but there are times you want solitude, quiet and fresh ocean air. Balconies are the best!

Hellow there,

What sort of mileage does one get by having a balcony suite where the cruise takes you though windy, cool-cold areas, such as NZ? We are off in late Feb next year. This is our first balcony booking and I'm just wondering if much time can be spent out there, (sipping wine and watching sunrises/sets of course), considering the conditions outdoors. Is the balcony more suited to the tropics? Would like your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Kinkacruiser

It really won't be "cool-cold" in NZ in February. It will be summer. Feb. is usually the warmest month of the year, with temperatures around 20 to 25 degrees C (70 to 78 degrees F). Enjoy your balcony!

Judging by all your positive comments, I know we have done the right thing re the balcony booking. It's a starboard suite on the Sun Princess, mipps and apparently that's where most of the docking happens..yippee.

Celle, living in the tropics our top winter temp is 24C, so I'm expecting cold weather especially in the South Island. I recorded the weather forecasts for the ports of call over the 14 days (late Feb and 9 days into March) earlier this year, which was interesting. Napier & the Bay of Islands seem to have the sunniest mildest weather. I hear it's the retirement capital of NZ.

Matmar, I figure that Long White cloud hangs permanently over the Fiords, as much as I'd love to see it sunny there for the photos.You can be lucky there I suppose. Thanks mipps for the cuppa invite whilst in Welly. Would you say the Te Papa was the No 1 place to visit?

Keep well and enjoy your upcoming adventures.

Cheers,

Kinkacruiser

Would you say the Te Papa was the No 1 place to visit?
yup ... you can get lost in there for days. and its very very FREE

http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/Tepapa/

a couple of others to add to the list

Wellingtons cable car. Awesome view at the top

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/SightsAndActivities/Wellington+Cable+Car.htm

cheap double decker bus tour stops/starts right outside

Karori Wildlife Santuary if you are into birds and scenery

http://www.sanctuary.org.nz/

lots more to do depending on your interests

cheers

Scott + Mihi

Thanks Scott and Mihi, I think the cable car is also a must ..saw it at the virtual tourist site ..will add the walk back through the botanical gardens. Should have no trouble filling in the port day here. Not into wildlife much at all, sorry. All the best, Anna

Archived