halibut fishing, but not in ISP??

donkeytiara

Hullo, knowledgeable folks!! Our ship's visit to Icy Strait Point was cancelled for our cruise, and that was where some of our group were going halibut fishing...it was to be the highlight of their holiday...:mad: QUESTION: Does anyone know if there's halibut fishing anywhere else, or just in ISP?? Can anyone recommend one if there is one?? My brother in law would be thrilled if he could go fishing for halibut!! We'll be in Sitka, Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan....thanks in advance!

I know there is some really good halibut fishing out of Sitka. I don't know about the other ports but I know you could definitely catch some out of Sitka. I was up there a on a 4 day fishing trip a few years ago and we fished for halibut two of the days. We caught quite a few in the 20 to 40 pound range and the biggest I caught was an 80 pounder. I would contact the charters there as soon as possible because Sitka is a great location for both salmon and halibut so they get a lot of business outside of the cruises.

We were in Juneau for 4 years and never had a problem finding halibut, my son even has the family record of a 120lb caught near Shelter Island in only 40 feet of water, so yes there are halibut in Juneau, you just need a guide who knows where and how to fish for them. Last summer was our first here in Hoonah and I agree that Icy Strait has more halibut, we spend a lot less time looking for them. I think Sitka is known for bigger halibut, but then again you will probably end up fishing in open ocean, for me that is not fun.........

Then you wouldn't mind suggesting a guide "who knows where and how to fish for them"??? I believe the OP was looking for information along those lines, so I don't think it would be inappropriate to drop a name or two...

Loads of amazing information.....now we just need the names of some private charters (or independent of the cruiselines) that y'all would recommend. Thanks so much in advance for your time and recommendations!! :)

May is early for Juneau and halibut, but here are a couple of websites:

http://www.hitime.com/

http://lostinalaskaadventures.com/

http://luckydogadventure.com/

And another really good halibut fishing guide, Mike (can't think of his last name or boat right now) will be working for Juneau Sports Fishing so he will be booked through the cruise ships.

Archived