Disney Cruises VS. Other Lines?

pampaul

Have you ever cruised with other lines? How does Disney compare with them? I've only cruised once (last year in August) on the Norwegian Dawn. So all I really know is the "freestyle" style of cruising. We went to dinner whenever we wanted and wherever. Just wondering how I'm going to like the rotation of restaurants and such.

What other ways can you think of differences?

I just finished watching the Travel Channel's Disney Cruise Line Special (I TIVO'd it from a couple of weeks ago) and now the seed is implanted and I want to go. Just by seeing the special, it looks like our boys will enjoy the kids club much better than the one on the Dawn. While we had a fantastic time on our cruise, something tells me that NOTHING beats a Disney cruise.

What are your thoughts?

Just got back from a 4 day cruise on the Wonder. I did the 8 night Mex. Riviera on the Norwegian Star 5 mos. ago. The ships themselves are very similar in my opinion. I found the scheduled seating times to be a bit stressful, trying to be ready by a certain time with kids. NCL has the "surcharge" restaurants that I found annoying, but it gives you more options in the type food you'd like. Soft drinks are included on DCL if you get them at a meal or at the self-serve beverage station. Entertainment and activities are more kid oriented on Disney. If going with my kids, I'd choose Disney again. If going with my SO, I wouldn't mind Norwegain again.

Hi Pampaul

I'm open to any cruise line. We are booked on the Emerald Princess this September and RCI next April. We travel with two girls 7 & 8 years. I book ships with great itineries that appeal to us.The emerald especially appealed because it was a new ship, (anytine dining). I've found that the kids clubs to date (we have done 2 cruises) have been great for our kids. We are interested in a Caribbean cruise and Carnival appeals. Disney Line site was down when I had a look so I'll go back and check it out.

I found with our last cruise P&O Australia we had first sitting in traditional dining, the kids ate at 5.00 at a kids sitting and then we ate at 6.00. Most days were port days so it was a bit of a rush getting back on the ship , getting the kids to dinner, a shower and dinner at 6.00. It was a bit of a challenge, so I would look at later dining on another cruise. I don't know how my husband would go with a Disney ship,I would need to know if the Mickey Mouse stuff in your face, "have a nice day 20 times a day" , that sort of stuff as I don't know if that is our style.

CruiseKidz

I cruise both RCI and DCL. We prefer the Radiance class and the Disney Wonder over the Magic. I thought on the Magic the food was not do great. But our WOnder cruise was wonderful. We love Pirate night. The shows are fantastic on both ships. Disney is not cheap but we travel at off times of the year and get FL resident rates. We are doing Disneyland prior to our RCI 15 night Hawaii cruise.

Lexi

We cruised the Wonder Nov '05. It was our third cruise, but first with kids. We loved our cruise, but for the money I was thinking that our next cruise would other than DCL. Well two weeks ago we sailed NCL and now I'm thinking for next time DCL here we come. My 6 year old said that he enjoyed our NCL cruise, but he'll always remember the Disney Cruise, even when he's a grandpa. DCL is so geared for kids with the larger state rooms with 1 1/2 baths, kids channels during down time in the room, with the soda fountain we didn't have to pay extra for sodas, the entertainment for the kids was outstanding, kids club was uncomparable, and we absolutely loved Castaway Cay.

I dont think you can find a better cruise then a Disney Cruise if you have kids under 16. The kids had a great time and my wife and I loved the adults only areas when the kids were in the kids club.

it seems that there's no question that Disney is the best experience for kids...but you get what you pay for in a sense...they're a heck of a lot more $$ than other lines as well...we have been on Princess and RCCL also and have really enjoyed our experience in different ways on each one. Disney has top notch service in every way...but really there's not much to do late and the food on Princess was much better in my opinion...except for Palo...that was the best cruise meal I have ever had

After six or seven rides on the Mickey Boat the one thing that sets Dn DCL apart from the other lines I have set sail with is the quality of service provided to those who would pay a premium price for the priviledge of hanging out on a ship for a few days. To be sure, Disney is expensive... kind of overpriced in my book but, the question is do you get what you pay for. Probably. Food is consistent... actually it seemed better on our March Wonder cruise. But again, it goes back to the quality of service and genuine first class care provided to you by just about everyone who is there to care for you while you are on the ship.

We have done Carnival (not really my cup of tea) and NCL American (Pride of Hawaii and Pride of America) during the past two years... the NCL ride was on the other end of the spectrum... American flagged ship, American snotty nosed kids who didn't have a clue for the most part (yes, there were a few really great crewmembers on the POH that really knew how to do their jobs) but the vast majority of the NCL crew members appeared to be young kids from the US of A who failed to read the fine print on their contracts where it states that, oh, by the way, you are going to be busting your hind part, seven days a week, 14 plus hours a day, while you sail around the islands. The Pride of America was probably the worst cruise we have ever been on... truly the Grayhound Bus of the seven seas... but, I digress...

I often wonder if Disney is going to price themselves out of the Market... I would say if you are family oriented, have young kids (the kid's program is as good as it gets), and enjoy a steady diet of pixie dust while your are bouncing around the Caribbean, Bahamas, or wherever you happen to be going with the mouse you can count on a good time. Still, I think the money the ask for the "priviledge" of sailing with them is becoming a factor for me when I book my next cruise.

Footnote... On all of the other cruises I have taken, probably close to 18 or so, I have rarely if ever seen or talked to the ship's skipper... if you find yourself on the Wonder you may be in for a real treat. Capt. Henry Andersson drives the boat and I can't say that I have ever met a more impressive man in my life... he is highly visable during the cruise and, if you have sailed with him more than once, chances are he will approach you and recognize the fact that you have sailed with him before. I have had the opportunity to chat with this outstanding gentleman on several occassions and hear a couple of his question and answer sessions while on board his ship and walk away shaking my head... he is articulate, extremely intelligent, and like those who serve onboard with him, he makes it a point to ask you if you are having a good time. He chose to be a mariner... he could have been a statesman... very, very nice man. Make it a point to chat with him if you can.

So, back to the point... is Disney worth it... if you got the greenies, got kids, and like the Disney experience you will not be disappointed.

My wife and were looking at a Disney Cruise. Liking Disney as much as we do we thought a DCL cruise was a good idea. We have sailed on Celebrity, RCCL and Carnival. We don't have any kids at home anymore so it would just be the 2 of us.

Well I went out and checked prices. Figured that since we usually sail in Concierge Class on Celebrity the price difference couldn't be that bad. Boy was I surprised. The DCL was $1,400 more than Celebrity Concierge Class we have booked for the same time frame. I like Disney and all, but come on that is a lot of change. I'd have to drink a lot of free soda to make up that difference.

Maybe there are better deals out there, but I checked a few sites and didn't find any. We are Florida Residents and do travel in the somewhat off season. We usually like to cruise the first or middle of May.

As much as I like Disney and would love to sail with them I just can't see the value. If I was taking little kids it would be a different story. Maybe someday, but for close to a 50% premium, it won't be this year.

Duane

Archived