East side of the island - Coconuts, etc

taffy12

We've been to Cozumel twice already and are looking for something a little different to do this time. I read somewhere about the restaurant Coconuts on the east coast of the island. Has anybody else been there? Is it good and appropriate for a family (with children ages 11 and 14?). Also, how long and expensive can I expect a taxi ride to be from the cruise piers (RCCL) and back? Is there anything else to do on that side of the island, near Coconuts?

Also, we were looking at a morning excursion ending sometime between 12:30 and 1:30 PM, and our ship leaves at 7:00. Do you think this would give us enough time to make the trek to the other side of the island without feeling too rushed?

We've been to Cozumel twice already and are looking for something a little different to do this time. I read somewhere about the restaurant Coconuts on the east coast of the island. Has anybody else been there?
I certainly have and I have the photos to prove it.

East side photo gallery

The East side has several clubs in addition to Coconuts, but other than those clubs, there isn't much more than long, sandy, deserted beaches. Other than Chen Rio, swimming isn't recommend on the East side due to strong currents.

Is it good and appropriate for a family (with children ages 11 and 14?).
I've taken my kids there several times.

Also, how long and expensive can I expect a taxi ride to be from the cruise piers (RCCL) and back? Is there anything else to do on that side of the island, near Coconuts?
I can't help you on the taxi fare as I've always rented a vehicle. Getting there doesn't take very long, probably less than 30 minutes.

Also, we were looking at a morning excursion ending sometime between 12:30 and 1:30 PM, and our ship leaves at 7:00. Do you think this would give us enough time to make the trek to the other side of the island without feeling too rushed?
Probably, but why push it. Skip the ship's excursions and just rent a vehicle and explore the island on your own. Get the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com and you'll be well prepared.

There is only one road so in a rental car you make a loop around the island. I'd say a comfortable slow trip with multiple stops including lunch might take around five hours. You could probably drive it in less than 45 minutes. Lots of fine stretches of beach for combing, but as mentioned, few places besides Chen Rio are good for swimming. Punto Sur and the light house would be worth a stop. You can hire a taxi by the hour which some might prefer. A taxi will cost more than a rental car, but you'd have a guide that knows the town as well. They would be motivated to make it interesting to extend the time, I might guess $20 an hour, but you'd have the options of a personal tour. A rental car or a taxi would enable you to see a lot of the true sights which most excursions will restrict you to one or two.

Archived