Grand Turk

FunShipAddict

Going on the Eastern Caribbean next April. Choose this cruise for the iternary - I like to have a fun day at sea between ports. For Eastern this was the best for us. Anyone been to Grand Turk? Excursions? Please share your experiences at the port. Thank you!

We were there last May on the Fantasy. Would love to go again. We took the excursion that was a carriage ride into town and some sightseeing around the island. It was okay. Carnival has build a new pier with the usual shopping area that looks like a little village, and there is a cool beach and a Margaritaville right there. You can swim right where the ship docks and the water is unbelievable. Margaritaville also has a fantastic pool. I would choose a short excursion in the morning and then back to enjoy Margaritaville and the beach or pool, but that's just me. Have fun whatever you do.:D

Went last July on Fantasy and we're going back this July on Triumph. Loved the pool at Margaritaville. The beach is nice but a little rocky in the water. We did the Ultimate Snorkeling excursion and it was great! Beautiful reefs with lots of fish! Planning to try scuba this year:D

Going out on the Triumph next week, our Turks plan is scooter rental from Tony. We here the island is slow and peaceful, so a scooter rental sounds great. We dont get there until noon, and leave at 7pm, but for the 5 or so hours of rental time, we look forward to doing that. We have other excursions planned but thought the Turks was the place to do a scooter. Stingray encounter at Half Moon will get us some snorkel time

We were there in September on the Fantasy and it was great - we did SNUBA which was lots of fun and we enjoyed the beautiful beach. A stingray was just swimming around right at our feet for a long time at the beach. The water was warm and clear. We didn't spend a lot of time at Margaritaville but we are going back this September and plan to spend some time there. Have a great cruise.

We were there last October. We hadn't planned ahead and being that the tourism infrastructure was/still is a work in progress, there wasn't any excess capacity walking up to the vendors, everyone was sold out. We ended up hanging out in the Margaritaville pool and did a little shopping. Our cruise pals rented a scooter and explored the island, that's what I want to do next time as they had a blast.

Awesome! Thanks everyone! We will most likely snorkel - but also love to do the dune buggys and the scooter. Just can't get it all in - Hmmm guess that means more cruises - Oh darn :D . ALso will have to visit Margaritaville on the way back to ship.

Geez - I have to wait until April next year:eek: - I love looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Grand Turk two weeks ago and really enjoyed the island. We took a taxi ($5 per person) into Cockburn Town where we walked and took photos, then went to the Turks Museum. Our taxi drivers, to and from the pier, told us all about the island. They were very friendly and helpful.

We then returned to Margaritaville, which was great fun- while my daughter did the Horseback Riding Excursion which she liked- she rides alot.

Hope you have a great cruise and enjoy Grand Turk as much as we did.

Yemaya: Who did you use for the snuba trip? Or did you book thru the cruise line?

If anyone else knows,we are looking for a private snorkel/snuba trip for the family? Can not seem to find a lot fo info on this though...

Also is this a tend port?

Thanks

Yemaya: Who did you use for the snuba trip? Or did you book thru the cruise line?

If anyone else knows,we are looking for a private snorkel/snuba trip for the family? Can not seem to find a lot fo info on this though...

Also is this a tend port?

Thanks

Sorry it took so long to get back to you have not read post in a bit. We booked it through the carnival site about a month before we cruised - I don't recall the name off hand. I don't think it is the same one - now when you go to look up Snuba in Grand Turk it has a different company with a woman from Ontario running it. I am sure it would be great too. The one we had was two younger guys running it (very knowlegable and lots of experience diving). Grand Turk is not a tender port - big dock right there. Come to think of it it may have been called Sea Trek or something like that - they did helmet dives as well.

We took a private tour of the island and loved it. Our drivers name was Pamela and she really showed us everything that there was to see on the island. IMO, private tours are always the best because they allow flexibility. Hope this helps!

=]

Elizabeth

Thanks to both of you for responding......we have plenty of time to decide what we would like to do. I also like to do the private companies for the same reason......hopefully we'll get some more responses here :)

• 1 month later...
We took a private tour of the island and loved it. Our drivers name was Pamela and she really showed us everything that there was to see on the island. IMO, private tours are always the best because they allow flexibility. Hope this helps!

=]

Elizabeth

How did you set up this private tour, how long was it and do you know the cost for it...I love seeing the islands this way..We are thinking of booking the Triumph for Aril of next year and it stops in GT

We've been to this stop twice, the last time being in April on the Elation. The first time we hired a taxi that dropped us off in town. Here we visited the museum. It was interesting, but we barely understood the 16 yr. old's rendition of English. After the museum, we wandered around the town and found an old prison which is now a tourist area. There were some local vendors who were selling tee-shirts and local crafts around the prison grounds. We tried to find some real stores, but this town is like the Carribean was thiry years ago! The people were very nice and slightly innocent. hen it started to down pour, a local woman picked us up un her van ( there were 5 of us ) and drove us to a local taxi stand! It rained so hard that children were swimming in ditches that had filled up with rain. During our second visit, we shopped in the stores that are build around the pier. There is an excellent silver shop where you could actually bargain with the shop keepers. While we girls shopped, my husband and son went to the beach right near the pier and snagged us a free clamshell. Here you can relax on loungers, tkae a dip, and have an excellent view of your ship. We, too, saw stingrays in the water! If you get thirst, Margaritaville is right next to the beach. We found this island to be a relaxing stop! Bring your sunscreen because even in April it was extremely hot! Have a great time!!!! We Did!

Hello everyone,all your excursions sound like so much fun. I am cruising for the first time in late august and I am starting to try to book my excursions now. Im a little confused and overwhelmed with all the details. I could really use some advice. I've been told not to book through carnival. Does anyone have any advise who to book through and what excursions are the most fun and worth your time? Our stops are half moon cay, grand turk, st. thomas, and san juan. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, SJBSD1! We've been to all of these stops so here's my advice:

1. Half Moon Key- It's a private island with a gorgeous unspoiled beach. Get

off the ship as early as possible so that you can rent a clamshell and

round up beach chairs. My husband got off early and secured these

items. If you don't, you'll just roast in the sun and spend most of your

time trying to find chairs. The buffet lunch is very good, but again, get

there early before the crowds form. Finally, leave early before the tenders

get crowded or you'll have to wait in the very hot sun on a long line!

2. St. Thomas- We rented a car on line. I can't remember which rental car

agency we used but it was within walking distance to the pier. We then

took a magificent drive to Megan's Bay. The beach was wonderful and

scenic. On the way back to the pier, there are many places where you

pull over and take breath taking ocean pictures while atop high cliffs! After

we returned the rental car, we shopped at stores around the pier area!

3. San Juan- You arrive around 5PM . Right off the ship we hired a driver who

took us on a very interesting tour of old and new San Juan. He brought

us to the fort which sits high above the ocean. We had our driver leave us

in Old San Juan. We walked around the cobblestone streets and went into

various shops. There are many sophisticated restaurants here! But after

shopping we walked back to the pier and ate in the restaurant there. We

were really impressed with San Juan and look forward to going there again.

4. Grand Turk- We've been there twice. You can read my review above.

Hope this helps! Just keep researching on line and book as much ahead as you can! Try to avoid the shiip tours. They are way too expensive and lack the quality that a private tour provides!!! Have a great time!

Hello everyone,all your excursions sound like so much fun. I am cruising for the first time in late august and I am starting to try to book my excursions now. Im a little confused and overwhelmed with all the details. I could really use some advice. I've been told not to book through carnival. Does anyone have any advise who to book through and what excursions are the most fun and worth your time? Our stops are half moon cay, grand turk, st. thomas, and san juan. Thank you!

We have been to Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. At Half Moon if you go on an excursion it pretty much has to be done through Carnival, there weren't any others--it's a private island. We did the Eco-tour because I am a big nature person and my husband is into fish and boats. We really enjoyed it, the guides were great. Grand Turk has a cool Margaritaville, that's where we spent the majority of our day. The DJ was great and had various activities for people to do all day. Their pool is awesome and has a swim up bar. The beach in front of Margaritaville was also nice. My best advice to you, don't book too many excursions. Pick 2 maybe 3 that you really want to do, then enjoy the ports. Also, if you think you may get seasick, get the patch or something AND do not forget the sunscreen. Have a great time--it sounds like you picked a great cruise.:D

• 3 weeks later...

I like to call them zodiac boats for 2. This was an excellent excursion, I highly recommend it. They transport you to the beach by bus, explain everything about the boats. The boats come with life perservers, dry bag, snorkel equipment and a little ladder to get back in with. Two stops for snorkeling, the 2nd at a resort with beach volleyball, restaurant, bar and restrooms. Don't forget your disposable underwater cameras. Can yu still find the lost shaker of salt on the margaritaville website? My cousin did last year, printed like 20 copies and we never paid for a drink. There were 24 of us.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived