What to expect on longer cruises? What has changed on Princess?

Ms. Alpha

DH and I have done 3 separate 7 day trips, but want to do a longer trip 14 - 18 days next summer. What differences can we expect in terms of shipboard activities & entertainment compared to a 7 day trip? We hope to do the things we never seemed to have time to do on the shorter trips. Will there be special lectures or other enrichment activities offered (we're looking at a European cruise)? Also, since we haven't cruised on Princess since 1994, what changes will we notice?

It depends on the cruise. If you are looking at a cruise that has a lot of port calls, you'll be so busy running around that if and when you finally get a break, you'll probably just want to relax. We're on a 12-day cruise this summer - 9 ports and only 2 sea days. We expect to come home tired.

Hi There,

First of al Princess is very poor and providing information,

there are no talks about the history or places to go, OK there is a small shopping talk but not much use.

Do your home work, plan what you want to see and do.

Did med last year,

There is just to much, Rome needs a week not a few hours so you need to know what you want to see accept you will need to leave things out until your next trip.

I could do the med every year for life.

Its hard work loads of hills, old streets with steps etc all that shopping to carry it can also be very hot.

However it is a must do,

This is not a beech holiday, you will be glad of the sea day or two if lucky to relax sorry to say at one port last year never got of ship, the day before we had been baked by the sun in over 100 degrees walking around ruins etc with no shade no air con.

But would do it all agan tomorrow if I could.

yours Shogun

Hi - we're doing the Oct. 8th Med/transatlantic cruise on the Emerald. As you've done this before, can you give me a heads up as to the weather conditions in Oct.? We know it won't be "beachy" but will the weather be on the same par as the NE at that time of year? Can't pack too much due to air limitations, but thinking that capri sets, linen outfits, etc. would do the trick - am I on the right track here or should we plan for more "fallish" weight clothing? Ports are Venice, Rome, Naples, Canne, Monte Carlo, Barcelona and one other I can't recall right now. Thanks for any info. One more question: we'll be sailing back to FL - have you (or anyone out there) done this and how's the water? We've cruised numerous times, but never transatlantic - just wondering what we should expect. Thanks in advance...

Hello Robin:

The weather for my trip, which was around the same time, was warm during the day and cool at night. When I went ashore, I always carried a lightweight sweater or jacket in my backpack but wore spring weight clothes.

Crossing the Atlantic was pretty smooth except for the first day out of Portugal.

Have a great cruise!!

Archived