4/14 Suicide Bombing Morocco

prescottbob

Ahoy!

We are booked on the 22 day, 5/7 Prinsendam transatlantic. I see there was a bombing outside of the American Cultural Center in Rabat. Just wondering if or, possibly, when HAL might cancel the Casablanca visit. I've never been to Casablanca so I don't know the layout. Any insight from our 'seasoned' members?

Bon Voyage!

Bob

The port in Casablanca was the most secure port of any we've sailed to in Europe, Africa, North or South America. In the city itself there's much greater danger from the "suicidal" drivers (the worst I've ever encountered0 than there is from terrorists.

Still, there are very few ports in the world that could be declared absolutely safe. Be aware of your surroundings, follow the guide books' advice, listen to the tales of experienced travelers - then go, and have a good time.

The port in Casablanca was the most secure port of any we've sailed to in Europe, Africa, North or South America. In the city itself there's much greater danger from the "suicidal" drivers (the worst I've ever encountered0 than there is from terrorists.

Still, there are very few ports in the world that could be declared absolutely safe. Be aware of your surroundings, follow the guide books' advice, listen to the tales of experienced travelers - then go, and have a good time.

Listen to Dave, good advice! Plus I personally, would not wander off the beaten path in some of the Middle Eastern cities, nor would I wear clothes that advertise that I am an American (U.S. flags, L.A. Dodger/NY Yankee ballcaps, etc.) Looking forward to visiting Alexandria/Cairo in September

Hi Copper....

We are currently visiting in your neighborhood; PCH & Crenshaw.

We were in Morocco the week after 9/11; never felt safer. Maybe crazy for going at that time, but we were very well guarded.

Pia

Hi Copper....

We are currently visiting in your neighborhood; PCH & Crenshaw.

We were in Morocco the week after 9/11; never felt safer. Maybe crazy for going at that time, but we were very well guarded.

Pia

Hi Pia, there is an exellent Macaroni Grill near that intersection and a Mimi's Cafe across the street. Good place to catch a show at the AMC theaters also. Blowing pretty hard today! Have fun!:)

Hi Pia, there is an exellent Macaroni Grill near that intersection and a Mimi's Cafe across the street. Good place to catch a show at the AMC theaters also. Blowing pretty hard today! Have fun!:)

Hey John.........

No time for fun. Visiting family and going home tomorrow. Stopped into Kohl's 1/2 hour ago because DH wanted to see it. Not impressed. Had lunch yesterday in the mexican place near Whole Foods. Pretty yummy.

Pia

Hey John.........

No time for fun. Visiting family and going home tomorrow. Stopped into Kohl's 1/2 hour ago because DH wanted to see it. Not impressed. Had lunch yesterday in the mexican place near Whole Foods. Pretty yummy.

Pia

Cool, have a safe trip home!

dear prescottbob (bet you must be bob, huh?)

one HAL ship has cancelled their port stop in casablanca, i think the amsterdam. the problem there is quite significant if you read the international news reports. the recent bombings are tied to al qaeda. the threat became public a month or more ago when the threat was specifically made for casablanca and including tourism points - cruise ships were named. now the bombings are reality, nor rumor. if you go to google news and look it up, you will see that this matter has not fully hit the news in the US. we have had our own problems here this past week.

we know 14 people on this cruise and not one will get off the ship if it does dock in casablanca. we are very daring travelers and sometimes do very stupid things in foreign countries. this is not a threat that we are willing to ignore.

today we have all emailed and/or called holland america to issue concern and ask that they divert. so far they haven't decided to do so but it is under consideration. this is a disappointment to us all but better be safe....

please go to the roll call for this cruise. we have had some nice chats!

Thanks for the update. I did have a hard time finding any news about the 4/14 bombing (finally found it on a FoxNews goggle search) after hearing it on a news 'blip' on the radio Saturday afternoon (while painting a room no less). The State Dept. still has their standard Mideast/N. Africa alert up on their website. Another handy site that I have useful over the years for overseas travel is the CIA fact book web site.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob

The only port I have ever been concerned with was Cartahena (Sp?). We were on tour bus leaving port, our bus was stopped and a group of military guys came on board carrying sub-machine guns. I thought this was it, and my life was going to be over soon. They walked up and down the aisle and then left the bus. Before they left they said they were doing the US govt a favor!

Archived