Crystal Cruiser Cruises On The Pearl

JFontaine

I thought you might be interested in my thoughts on this cruise, it being my first on NCL. Last five cruises have been on Crystal and before that on Celebrity (about 20), Regent, Cunard and RCCL. I am a 40-something NYer and cruised with my sister in separate cabins. We both had mini-suite guarantees (we booked about ten days before the cruise) and were both upgraded, me to a handicapped accessible penthouse cabin, she to a Romance cabin (both were aft on different floors). I thank my travel agent for that - it is my feeling that a travel agent well-known to the cruiseline is very valuable, and well worth the few extra dollars. The weather was great and the seas were smooth - in our aft cabins we felt little vibration and heard no noise when we docked.

The bottom line is that the cruise far exceeded my expectations.

Food - we ate all of our breakfasts in Cagneys (a perk of the cabin), we had one room service lunch, one buffet lunch (off-hours) and dinners at the Bistro, Cagneys and the Italian restaurant. Without exception every meal was great; one of my dinners at Cagneys was easily the best meal that I have ever had on a cruise ship. I should say that I prefer simple, basic food; my sister is more of a "foodie" but she agreed that the food was the best of her cruising experience too. Worth special mention was the food at the buffet - always a turnoff for me (I have never had the Crystal buffet - in more than 75 days at sea with them). This buffet food was really terrific - hot, well prepared. What a nice surprise. We ended up liking freestyle dining very much, and I think it will be hard to go back to the traditional assigned seating cruise.

Cabins - Certainly nothing to complain about, although I don't go for the loud colors. My very large bathroom was a pleasure - offset by the fact that the floor gets wet because of the roll-in shower; not much you could do about that. I have invested too much time and money in making my bed at home perfect - and the bed on the ship was very comfortable. The only negative about my cabin was that the balcony had two standard chairs and a small table - not a lounge chair. When I asked about it my butler said: Well, it is a handicapped cabin. So?? (more on him later)

Entertainment - Our dinners ran late so I missed most of the shows, but from what I saw the entertainment was a nice change from the stale Broadway type production shows that I have seen. In the category of entertainment - at least for me - was the very pleasant surprise that I was able to get the full national edition NY Times delivered to my cabin every morning for only $3.95 a day (there was a nice list of other newspapers available - all computer generated). This was not offered on Crystal earlier this year. Also - I found the constant Bingo announcements by Simon, the cruise director, and his staff, annoying.

Service - Another huge surprise for me was the near perfect service that we received. I was sure that service would suffer for the usual two reasons (automatic tipping takes the incentive out of good service, and the freestyle dining meant that I didn't have the same server from night to night - although I did on two nights). My cabin attendants could not have been nicer (and arranged for a regular lounge chair for my balcony); in fact I asked if they locked the mini-bar on the last night, and when I was told that they did, I said that I needed to take out a diet coke the night before so I would have it for breakfast. On the last night, I forgot - but they didn't. The concierge, Alexander Forbes, was a true professional who went above and beyond; he also couldn't have been nicer. My sister's butler was very helpful to her. My butler on the other hand flunked the first day test, and I never asked for anything again. My glasses broke on the flight to Florida; I bought a little kit at the airport to fix them, but was unable to. I asked the butler if there might be someone on the ship with steadier hands and better eyes than me, and asked if he could help me. He said no. He should have tried to find help for me; and if he couldn't do it he couldn't do it. I also had the opportunity to meet the hotel director, a very professional man who was clearly interested in providing top customer service.

Spa - I had a massage and it was very good. The spa area was nice, but it was not well maintained, with towels and empty cups scattered about. I was also put off by the fact that the thallasoptheray pool was not available to me on the day of my massage without extra payment. It should also be a perk of the penthouse cabin.

Other Passengers - a much younger crowd than Crystal, or course, with a load of kids, it being the rolling spring break. I was very lucky to meet some lovely folks - a couple from DC, a new friend in NJ, and especially two wonderful families from CA. The one woman that I hope to never meet again approached me at 4 pm and demanded that I get off "her chair" (I was sitting on it for nearly two hours) on an upper deck not even near the pool. Even though she didn't leave any personal belongings on it, and even though - by that time - there were dozens of empty chairs right next to the one that she wanted - she said that her husband would never find her anywhere else (not even in the next chair??). I couldn't believe I was hearing this, but rather than ruin my day I got up and left. I know that there are jerks anywhere (yes, you Lady!) but there is no chair problem on Crystal or even Regent - more people have balconies, they sit in the sun less, there are more interesting things to do during the day. Our balconies were just too hot without a breeze in the middle of the day - but we enjoyed them very much in the morning and late afternoon.

Cell phone - there was something wrong with the cell phone service while at sea; I could hear the people that I was calling very clearly but they couldn't hear me. Other people that I talked to said the same thing.

Laundry - I got my new white jeans dirty and they came out of the laundry perfect, and early.

This trip cost me a fraction of what Crystal does - and overall it was a very good cruise. A new ship and a balcony cabin certainly helps, but food, service and some extras that should be available on any vintage NCL ship - certainly played a part in the overall experience. Thank you NCL and cheers to my new friends.

I could say thanks for your positive review, but what I am going to say is: I am so glad you had a positive experience. I just tried to explain to someone on another thread that each line offers something different and just because you normally sail "top of the line" or even slightly more elegant ships than RCI and NCL does not mean you can not have a good time on these lines. I remember a few years ago someone who was doing a family reunion to Alaska on NCL. I believe it was the Sun. Her problem was "would she be totally disappointed with NCL after cruising Silver Sea and I beleive Seabourne?" To make a long story short, she came back with a similar feeling as you.

That being said, I did have one client that I knew would not like NCl and guess what? She didn't, but she wanted a small ship, had done only Seabourne and a small Princess cruise, she was sailing shortly after Katrina (actually Thanksgiving week) and didn't have the most poisitve attitude. I think it may have been the only time I suggested a client take a different line as I always beleive it is not my decision to decide who you should be sailing with. Well she saw bound and determine to sail NCL, changed her mind one week prior to sailing, thought it was up to me to get her money back on 3 balcony cabins, I couldn't, she sailed and it was my fault. No one is always right. LOL

Without exception every meal was great; one of my dinners at Cagneys was easily the best meal that I have ever had on a cruise ship.

Just got off the Dawn and I have to agree with you about Cagney's - easily the best Filet I have ever had, and I live in the middle of cattle country!!!:D

One day I hope to sail on Crystal to see what it is like. I really enjoy NCL and I have a feeling I would like Crystal as well.

Thanks for the review. Sorry to see your butler was unwilling to go even an extra inch for you. Definately not what represents most of the butler/ concierge teams on NCL ships.

I agree with you on the Spa charges. Land based spas give you the run of the entire fascility before and after your treatment. Spa treatments at sea are quite a bit more expensive and limit your time in the area. If they were slightly cheaper and let you use the pools and hot tubs during your visit, I WOULD spend more money there (and I am a male, who enjoys a good pedicure!!!:D )

Very nice to see you have liked the Pearl! I have not sailed on Crystal, but have been on Celebrity, Cunard, Silversea, ex Sea Goddess now

Sea Dream and Seabourn. All I can say is...NCL is best for value and money.

Try next time the Courtyard and you will see that even the TOP rated lines can learn something from NCL.

The one woman that I hope to never meet again approached me at 4 pm and demanded that I get off "her chair" (I was sitting on it for nearly two hours) on an upper deck not even near the pool. Even though she didn't leave any personal belongings on it, and even though - by that time - there were dozens of empty chairs right next to the one that she wanted - she said that her husband would never find her anywhere else (not even in the next chair??). I couldn't believe I was hearing this, but rather than ruin my day I got up and left.

IF I had gotten up, I would have sat in the chair next to her and began to make weird noises, or talk to myself strangely. Maybe even ask a waiter if he had anything sharp. Hinted at some extra pointy umbrella picks in my next drink.:eek: No excuses for rudeness, it takes all kinds.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, sounds like you had a wonderful time.:D

What a pleasure to read your review, both the positive and not-so-much. It was balanced and fair and (having sailed on Pearl twice now) dead-on.

I'm sorry about your butler. Who was he, please?

Jana

Archived