Victoria's final home?

dak

According to this link, it looks like Victoria may have found her final resting place after she is finished being "The Scholar Ship"!

... I still miss her... Will she ever be replaced by P&O?

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

A Home For The HOLM?

April 14: Stockholm based Lars Hemingstam has shared a very encouraging bit of information with the ocean liner community today:

"Swedish entrepreneur Lars Hallgren, owner of Top Industri AB, has signed a letter of intent with Leonardo Shipping to acguire THE SCHOLAR SHIP (ex KUNGSHOLM of 1965) in 2010. The ship is to be docked in Gothenburg, Sweden, as a hotel, restaurant, and maritime museum. The two funnels with the Swedish American Line symbol, and the aft mast will be restored. Leading politicians of the City of Goteborg have assured Mr Hallgren of political support for the plan.

The project was presented on April 13, 2007, at a meeting at The Swedish Shipowners' Association in Gothenburg.

David

Don't blame you as it's been mothballed since being the Mona Lisa it's probably not in tip top shape probably best to remember the good times,I might be tempted to stay on her if she does become a floating hotel.

My parents sailed on her as both the Sea Princess and Victoria and she was one of their favourite ships.

I notice you've been on the Oceana,we're going on her in July do you have any great tips/views for us,please?

Sorry, I'm the wrong person to ask about Oceana. I'm in the minority. I like Arcadia and dislike Oceana. She's too glitzy and more of a Princess ship as far as I am concerned. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but I much prefer understated interiors and more friendly passenger flows with less emphasis on the large shiny atrium as the centre of attraction. As far as her sea keeping qualities go, she seems to have a strange yawing motion, or perhaps that was just the prevailing North Sea conditions. However, she seems to be well liked, so I am clearly wrong!

As I have said elsewhere, I would have liked to have seen one of the R ships finding a home with P&O.

David

Hi David,understood I like both!!I'm happy on most cruise ships.We've been on the new sea Princess so I guess Oceana won't have too many surprises was interested in the food and entertainment though and how they differ.

Sea Princess didn't sail too well either it's these modern ships with no keels!Doesn't bother me but my daughter suffers motion sickness I've already bought some bands and tablets and we're not going till July!

Hi David,understood I like both!!I'm happy on most cruise ships.We've been on the new sea Princess so I guess Oceana won't have too many surprises was interested in the food and entertainment though and how they differ.

Sea Princess didn't sail too well either it's these modern ships with no keels!Doesn't bother me but my daughter suffers motion sickness I've already bought some bands and tablets and we're not going till July!

A man after my own heart Philhar, we have liked all of the ships we have been on so far and we are trying to get to them all, only they keep building new ones:eek:. We are on Oceana in August and Oriana in November. We did Adonia and loved that. We never did get round to Victoria but we have seen her in passing under a different guise.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

I notice you've been on the Oceana,we're going on her in July do you have any great tips/views for us,please?

If you don't use the restaurant for breakfast, use Cafe Jardin - its still buffet (& no real 'hot food' - there's porridge & a couple of orderable dishes which may or may not be hot), but you get a waiter, you are seated and you get real coffee - in a jug & its drinkable (well at least more so than that in real Buffet - sorry I forget its name) & if you are lucky, and get an atrium table, you can watch down all the levels of the atrium as people go about their business,

A much more civilised affair than the scramble in the real buffet:D

(This was in 2005 - it may have changed)

Karen

No change since Karen went on in 2005.

We did 12 nighter in 2004 and 7 nighter 2006.

Really like Oceana ,nice and familiar feel to it, but beware of breakfast and lunch buffet peak times in the Plaza.

Due to family we have to go in school hols and a bit of a bunfight to get a seat in main buffet area at peak times. Also loungers around main pool a bit of a fight - be there by 9am or all taken with towels!

Cafe Jardin a great alternative, used it everyday for breakfast and also a really nice pizza at lunchtime.

Noticed some cutbacks between 04 and 06. They used to have really nice little cakes at afternoon tea buffet , but dropped those by 06 - is it the carnival influence?

Thought the restaurant staff and indeed all staff very good - food not quite as good as 04 but still really enjoyed it.Great lunchtime curries.

Best place is to get a nice chair/lounger at the stern- area outside the gym is good., or sky deck fwd by the little pool.

My gripe is lack of a decent coffee to go - have to say the US ships have got that sorted out very well- c'mon P+O even Asda and Tesco do a cappucino/latte these days.Also Gym equipment needed attention and when out of order no one fixed it.

On Oriana this summer so it will be interesting to compare again, tried RCC Legend of the SEas in 2005 and Princess in 2006 - would not go RCC again as it doesn't suit us but a lot of people really like it.Thought Princess very good, but food slanted to US style and missed some home comforts after a while.

ENjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the great tips Karen and M62 man I'll definitely remember the Cafe Jardin one for breakfast,we used the same restaurant on Sea Princess but at night.Most of the new ships never seem to build the buffet area big enough or the don't get the "flow" right.We went on NCL last year though and they have got this right but as well as cruising with children we take my mum who is in her 70's and prefers a more traditional cruise experience.But like Dai B I've yet to find a ship I don't like!

Another question-is the pay restaurant on Oceana worth a go?

Thanks everyone

Hello Phil Har,

If I remember rightly it is the Horizon Grill that doubles up as daytime grill bar by the pool and "under the stars" dining experience at night.

We did not use as 2 children with us and really enjoyed the main restaurant each night.

Could be a nice change if just 2 of you,a nice warm med night and you fancy something different- just pick a time with no wind!

I have to say that last year we enjoyed a balcony cabin experience with Princess and are now spoilt for life.It's a whole different game - you can retire to your balcony get a nice room service sandwich and a drink and sit out for the afternoon in peace and quiet looking at the sea or the back of your eyelids - as suits!no need to worry re loungers or noise by the pool.

If you can go the price it is a very different experience and really fabulous. Bit of a stretch with 2 children and not really suitable for them as they like the pool and the activities but if just 2 of you absolute bliss!

Thanks M62 man,we have 3 kids 2 teenagers 1 aged 5 and a grandmother !!so keeping all happy isn't easy!We'll probably just stick with the main restaurant or the buffet.Have you tried the kid's evening meal?Rachel is pretty good but gets restless if it's a long wait but obviously that means someone else has to stay with her if she eats early maybe the odd night.

Archived