Transportation from Crown Bay the Economic Way

ebonybee

Just off CB yesterday (8 Apr -15 Apr) and while I will submit a complete review just wanted to provide a possible means for economic travel between Crown Bay and other locations on St Thomas

I was horrified that families were paying $11.00 PER PERSON including children for a trip to Sapphire beach, a few reported paying $20.00 per person. I then went to everyone with a blue and white striped towel on the beach (Sapphire) and told them how to travel from Crown Bay to any location on St. Thomas for about $2.00 per person. .

From the Ship: If wishing to exercise this option, you should leave the inside of the pier and take a right outside the pier gate. Taxi vendors inside the gate will try to prevent you from leaving, saying " I'm trying to give you a deal--folks outside the gate will try to take advantage of you." Don't listen continue walking. Travel about 3/8 of a mile until the road ends at a "Y" junction. You are currently on the long end of the "Y". It doesn't really matter which side of the "Y" you take--you will end at on the same road which is a main road where the " Safari buses" travel. Either side is less than a 1/8 mile walk. For landmarks, on one side of the "Y" is a KFC, the other side has has "Publix(sp)" supermarket. Just stand on the side of the road which is going south? toward Havensight or town. Don't be afraid to ask a local if you're not sure where to stand.

The bus looks just like a taxi. They run very, very, frequent. Cost was $1.00 to downtown and $2.00 to Sapphire Beach or Red Hook. We stayed on the same bus from pick up point to Sapphire. The bus off loads at top of hill and sign for Sapphire Beach. You will have to walk down a steep hill and remember also back up.

I gathered a bunch of folks that wanted to leave the beach at 1400 hours and we went together up the hill--folks that had children were really glad because of cost. The idea was that we would fill up the bus and they would take us directly back to the stop near the ship. Everybody made it on board the bus except for ME who had to wait for my knuckleheaded son who stopped to buy a hot dog!

I had to wait until son arrived--a long time--he sat down to eat the hot dog. Husband wanted to murder son, so had to do something to stop argument. Furious, I flagged down the first vehicle I saw--a regular taxi and negoitated a fee of $4.00 per person to Crown Bay...He wanted to haggle but he was on a return trip from Red Hook and was empty. I told him I was willing to wait for the $2.00 bus, pointed out he was empty, and $20.00 dollars was better than none! He went for it!

For those that are nervous, I suggest using the bus to travel to the beach and just pay the $10.00 or $11.00 per person back if you are rushed for time or uncomfortable using this mode of transport. At least you would have saved half. I also heard some "safari buses" would only travel to downtown. Remember it's still only $2.00 from Sapphire to downtown and then another $1.00 back to near ship.

I've now visited most beaches on St Thomas and I like Sapphire the most due to facilities and activities. There is chair rental ($7.00), jet ski rental ($45.00), a grill and snacks. Drinks, try a painkiller ($6.00) and of course hamburgers and HOT DOGS. There is also shade trees(just lay down a towel) and swimming is great. Maegen's Bay is great but you have to pay to enter and also no motorized sports activities.

On St Maarten-we did the usual and rented a rental car through Budget for $52.00 and went to Mullet Bay and Maho Beach. On St Maarten be careful to walk around the vehicle and annotate every possbile scratch. On return Budget is "extremely thorough " on looking for bumps and bruises.

Good info. Now all it takes is just a few more to verify this and we have a new way to get around ST. The reason why I say this, is becuase many folks are nervous about off the beaten path. (We're not, just thinking about others, especially newbies). So if and when anyone else uses this apparrently cost effective way arround ST let us all know. And thanks again, ebonybee.

Been to St John 4 times. Twice took the ferry from Red Hook having taken a taxi to Red Hook. Twice from Downtown area--walking from HAVENSIGHT. If on Princess and arriving at Crown Bay, I would take the Safari Taxi to Downtown and board the downtown ferry to Red Hook.

However it is a matter of timing. Red Hook has more departures/arrivals than downtown. So therefore you will need to check the website for schedule times and determine which location meets your schedule.

Mullet Bay and Maho are in my opinion adult beaches not because of nudity but because of wave action. The rental agency told us he does not recommend either one because they are on the Caribbean side versus Orient and Dawn which are on the Atlantic side. Apparently the Atlantic side is much calmer.

On mullet the waves knocked me down twice which my adult children called the "Mike Tyson" knockdown--I got to my knees and the wave knocked me down again. I had the last laugh though--the waves took my daughter's bikini bottoms OFF!

We go to Maho just to watch the plane lands and have a drink at the bar!

This is great info and answers my question about where we are docking, too.

I am disappointed to know we are at Crown Bay but this info lessens the sting a lot. I will be looking to join up to get transportation to Magen's Bay first thing in the morning. My name is Alexandra and I have been th St Thomas many times.

Thanks,

The Flying Dutchman

Thanks Ebonybee.

The planes are the exact reason my DH wants to go to Maho, so I think we will try them both. We are from NJ and our surf can be pretty rough. My daughter thinks most other beaches are like lakes. I did not relay the experience of your daughter, hoping it will happen to mine!:D For once, she might be speechless!

• 4 months later...

Archived