luggage size help...please!

Liv2kruz

Can anyone tell me if there is a fine for over-sized luggage? I just got my new suitcase all packed, and my husband told me he found online that the size limit is 62". Well, mine measures 63".....what should i expect if i bring this suitcase. It was unclear as to how much a fine might impose.

Any suggestions?????????

Can anyone tell me if there is a fine for over-sized luggage? I just got my new suitcase all packed, and my husband told me he found online that the size limit is 62". Well, mine measures 63".....what should i expect if i bring this suitcase. It was unclear as to how much a fine might impose.

Any suggestions?????????

You should call the airline and ask them.

siaze and weight limitations are usually posted on the airline's web site. i never checked carnival. we used to take a huge (mamoth) suitcase w/ us and it was never a problem w/ CCL. but, we no longer take it b/c there are new restrictions for the air carrier we usually use. i'd start w/ the air carrier's web site.

Are you wondering about restrictions from the cruiseline or the airline? Since you are from Michigan, I'm assuming that you're flying to your port. If so, your luggage can not weigh more than 50 lbs. or they will charge you a fine. The fines vary by airlines, but the minimun is usually $25.00 or more. As for the actual size of the luggage, I can't say. I don't believe the cruiselines care as I've seen some very large pieces from other passengers. All I can say is that if you are flying and have filled a 63" piece of luggage, you will more than likely be fined by the airlines for having luggage that is overweight. My husband and I always weigh our luggage before we leave for the airport. Just an idea!!!!;)

I've heard of people being fined for every leg of their journey, so it's not just a $25 fine once. If it's cheaper for you to go out and buy a new suitcase for less than $50, you may want to consider that. :)

OK......In thinking about this more........Are you sure your piece of luggage measures 63"? :confused: I have a piece that is 28" that I no longer use because it is always overweight for the airlines if I fill it, and I consider it to be a large piece of luggage. 63" sounds enormous!!!!

Are you wondering about restrictions from the cruiseline or the airline? Since you are from Michigan, I'm assuming that you're flying to your port. If so, your luggage can not weigh more than 50 lbs. or they will charge you a fine. The fines vary by airlines, but the minimun is usually $25.00 or more. As for the actual size of the luggage, I can't say. I don't believe the cruiselines care as I've seen some very large pieces from other passengers. All I can say is that if you are flying and have filled a 63" piece of luggage, you will more than likely be fined by the airlines for having luggage that is overweight. My husband and I always weigh our luggage before we leave for the airport. Just an idea!!!!;)

AA Charges $100 for oversized luggage, plus $25 if the bag is overweight.

The 63" could be the total measurements L+H+W= total inches Carry ons are not to be larger than 50". I would hate to see myself dragging a 50" (not total inches) piece of luggage muchless a carry on.... 70" is the max before they charge you oversize on US Air.... You might need to weigh it before you go cause the airline will charge you both ways for overweight....

You might need to weigh it before you go cause the airline will charge you both ways for overweight....

... and the people behind you in line will get a little ticked if you have to swtich clothes around from one suitcase to the next trying to make it under 50lbs. If you have a scale, weigh it at home, it will potentially save you a lot of time, and money.

The 63" (this is probably a 29" case) is the linear measurement and yes, you will be fined. Check your carrier's website. We have Continental and Delta for our next two flights. Both carriers will allow us two bags per person, 62" & under, plus one carryon and one personal bag each. The bags cannot exceed 50 lbs each. Also, depending on your carrier, it may not be 50 lbs. My sister is lfying back with Air France and they are limiting her to 45 lbs. I would definitely buy another suitcase, two smaller ones would be better :). We have expandables, but we cannot use them unless I'd like to pay more! :(

FOR DELTA AIR

Fees

You'll be charged an excess baggage fee each time you go over any one of the free allowances. For example, if you have an extra piece of baggage that goes over the weight limit and the size limit, then you'll be charged 3 times—once for the extra bag, once for going over the size limit, and once for going over the weight limit.

Fees are for each additional bag, each way.

The fees listed below apply to all areas of travel, however some areas may have additional restrictions.

Quantity AmountFeeAdditional bag—within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico

$50 eachAdditional bag—all other areas$100 each

Weight AmountFee51–70 pounds$25 each71–100 pounds$100 eachOver 100 pounds not permitted

Size AmountFee62–80 inches—total of length plus width plus height$100 eachOver 80 inches—total of length plus width plus height

not permitted

We just bought new luggage for this very reason. We were always over weight and had to take a roller bag to put all the extra in. We got a new 4 piece set at WalMart for a great price. This way we can each check 2 bags on wheels and carry on one if needed.

No more overweight for us.

Not helpful at all, but my Mom is 63" tall - she travels with her own ticket.

Seriously though, you have a 5' piece of luggage? Show us a picture!! You could smuggle people in that.

I would almost bet its a rolling duffle like this one.

B000BFMTYO.01-A3UCC8ULL18KE5._SCLZZZZZZZ_V24630937_AA280_.jpg Dimensions: 32"L x 15"W x 15"H

The OP might be measuring it wrong, so the piece could infact be 62" rather than 63".

I have a rolling duffel that is around 59" --30x15x14and even when I stuff it full, I cant get it to weigh more that 38 poounds

Thanks for all your replies.....I just decided to take it back, and stick with my old luggage that I know I will have no problems with. The 64" was a total of the 3 dimensions of the suitcase. It was kinda wierd shaped, being a little wider on the bottom than at the top where the handle was.

Anyhow....thanks again for your suggestions, couldn't risy paying a $100 fine when new luggage could be purchased!

As an airline ticket agent most agents will not break out a tape measurement line and check for the dimentions of a bag. We usually just note the weight of the bag. Anything over 50 lbs is changed as excess weight. Your bag is probabally fine if your really worried about it stop by the airport and check with your airline if the bag is in their standards. Oversize usually cames into play more with people traveling with bikes, trunks or packing boxes. You'd be surprized what people try to pack as luggage.

shan9700:)

OK......In thinking about this more........Are you sure your piece of luggage measures 63"? :confused: I have a piece that is 28" that I no longer use because it is always overweight for the airlines if I fill it, and I consider it to be a large piece of luggage. 63" sounds enormous!!!!

I am assuming that OP meant total dimensions of 63"

Ok...after having spoken with US Airways about this same issue about 4 days ago, I will tell you what I was told.

ANYTHING over 62" will be fined a minimum of $50 us. There is no allowance over 62" without fee unless you are flying First Class, Business class, flying international, or in the military.

• 11 months later...
As an airline ticket agent most agents will not break out a tape measurement line and check for the dimentions of a bag. We usually just note the weight of the bag. Anything over 50 lbs is changed as excess weight. Your bag is probabally fine if your really worried about it stop by the airport and check with your airline if the bag is in their standards. Oversize usually cames into play more with people traveling with bikes, trunks or packing boxes. You'd be surprized what people try to pack as luggage.

shan9700:)

Well I guess I got that one agent that was having a bad day because they did whip out the tape measure. Made it by 1/2 inch until then I had no idea that they cared and my DW is an flight attendant. I will qualify by saying we were not on the airline she works for because the employee id there allows us to get away with a lot.

Archived