help! In Villefranche same day as Grand Prix and Cannes film festival!

I can't believe our luck or lack of, I just realized we will be docked in Villefranche the same day as the Monte Carlo Grand Prix and the Cannes Film Festival. We were planning on using public transportation to visit Eze and Monte Carlo, now I'm arfraid it will be very busy and I don't want to be at the mercy of the public buses! Has anyone been to this area during this time? Is it as busy as I'm imagining it to be or should I relax and stick with my original plan? I was really hoping to avoid doing the ships tour, but...perhaps it would be best??

Any thoughts?

Carrie

Gee, well I have no direct experience, but I would imagine you would want to stay away from Monte Carlo, and just hang around Villefranche and/or Nice. Can't comment on getting to Eze. Traffic around there the only time I've been was bad, even on a normal day.

Yikes! I am thinking that would be like being in between towns 20 miles apart hosting both the Superbowl and the Oscars. I would have to avoid either of those places on either of those days, let alone both at once.

All is not lost however. Here is a favorite "travel expert" of mines write up of Villefranche. If you toggle down to "Things to do" you may find a wonderful set of options right at your feet.

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/6cdeb/14495/

We were there last year during the Film Festival and the day after the Gran Prix. It was crowded but we were able to see what we wanted to see (skipped Cannes). You might want to consider hiring a driver since they would know their way around and could hopefully get you where you wanted to go, maybe using back roads, etc.

You might try Eze--but it would be miserable if it was very crowded. Villefranche is a wonderful little town worth exploring, and there are two nice beaches right in town. Even on a ship tour you would be fighting crowds. A Med cruise is so port intensive why not make this a smell the roses (or lavender in this case) day. There is plenty to do right where you get off the tenders, the old town, the waterfront and a trail along the bay.

I've been there for both and took the trains between Cannes and Monte Carlo. They were packed. It's definitely still doable, but if you plan on doing the day yourself (no excursions or tours), be sure to leave yourself with LOTS of extra time to get back and forth. Don't attempt to cut things too close in terms of getting back to the ship - pad your travel time considerably and you should be fine.

My experience is that this is a GREAT time to visit the Riviera. While in Cannes we caught a glimpse of Leonardo DiCaprio and Cameron Diaz walking down the red carpet (a few years back). Great people watching and star spotting time in Cannes!

As far as Monte Carlo goes, we had hillside tickets for the event and it was spectacular to watch the race (1997). I'm not sure I'd go the private tour route in either city - but especially in Monte Carlo since the roads will be shut for the race. I would say better to take the train and use your feet to get your around!

Have a great time!!!

Archived