Traveling from Crown Bay (Princess Port) Using Safari Buses

ebonybee

Just off CB yesterday (8 Apr -15 Apr) and while I will submit a complete review just wanted to provide a possible means for economic travel between Crown Bay and other locations on St Thomas

I was horrified that families were paying $11.00 PER PERSON each way, including children for a trip to Sapphire beach, a few reported paying $20.00 per person. I then went to everyone with a blue and white striped towel on the beach (Sapphire) and told them how to travel from Crown Bay to any location on St. Thomas for about $2.00 per person. .

From the Ship: If wishing to exercise this option, you should leave the inside of the pier and take a right outside the pier gate. Taxi vendors inside the gate will try to prevent you from leaving, saying " I'm trying to give you a deal--folks outside the gate will try to take advantage of you." Don't listen continue walking. Travel about 3/8 of a mile until the road ends at a "Y" junction. You are currently on the long end of the "Y". It doesn't really matter which side of the "Y" you take--you will end at on the same road which is a main road where the " Safari buses" travel. Either side is less than a 1/8 mile walk. For landmarks, on one side of the "Y" is a KFC, the other side has has "Publix(sp)" supermarket. Just stand on the side of the road which is going south? toward Havensight or town. Don't be afraid to ask a local if you're not sure where to stand.

The bus looks just like a taxi. They run very, very, frequent. Cost was $1.00 to downtown and $2.00 to Sapphire Beach or Red Hook. We stayed on the same bus from pick up point to Sapphire. The bus off loads at top of hill and sign for Sapphire Beach. You will have to walk down a steep hill and remember also back up.

I gathered a bunch of folks that wanted to leave the beach at 1400 hours and we went together up the hill--folks that had children were really glad because of cost. The idea was that we would fill up the bus and they would take us directly back to the stop near the ship. Everybody made it on board the bus except for ME who had to wait for my knuckleheaded son who stopped to buy a hot dog!

I had to wait until son arrived--a long time--he sat down to eat the hot dog. Husband wanted to murder son, so had to do something to stop argument. Furious, I flagged down the first vehicle I saw--a regular taxi and negoitated a fee of $4.00 per person to Crown Bay...He wanted to haggle but he was on a return trip from Red Hook and was empty. I told him I was willing to wait for the $2.00 bus, pointed out he was empty, and $20.00 dollars was better than none! He went for it!

For those that are nervous, I suggest using the bus to travel to the beach and just pay the $10.00 or $11.00 per person back if you are rushed for time or uncomfortable using this mode of transport. At least you would have saved half. I also heard some "safari buses" would only travel to downtown. Remember it's still only $2.00 from Sapphire to downtown and then another $1.00 back to near ship.

I've now visited most beaches on St Thomas and I like Sapphire the most due to facilities and activities. There is chair rental ($7.00), jet ski rental ($45.00), a grill and snacks. Drinks, try a painkiller ($6.00) and of course hamburgers and HOT DOGS. There is also shade trees(just lay down a towel) and swimming is great. Maegen's Bay is great but you have to pay to enter and also no motorized sports activities.

On St Maarten-we did the usual and rented a rental car through Budget for $52.00 and went to Mullet Bay and Maho Beach. On St Maarten be careful to walk around the vehicle and annotate every possbile scratch. On return Budget is "extremely thorough " on looking for bumps and bruises.

Thank you very much, Ebonybee. I saw your other response and thanks for this added information.

Crown Bay is the official pier for the Caribbean Princess, on the far left of Charlotte Amalie and Havensight. I understand there is not much there; plenty of threads on it in the Princess Forum - mostly negative.

The problem with taking the safari from Crown Bay is crossing that very busy street to be on the side where traffic is going into town. There's no crosswalk near the Pueblo (not Publix), and I don't think there's one on the side near KFC. It's across the street from KFC, and the designated stop is across that street. If you like playing chicken, you'll love crossing that street.

Yes, the safaris run frequently, but if you're standing in 90 degree sun waiting, it doesn't always seem like it's frequent, especially after you've walked the distance to get to the stop.

It's easier and safer to pay the $4 taxi fare to town, and then take the safari from there. Taking the safari back is okay, because it puts you out on the side of the street that's easily walkable back to the ship.

Ebonybee, thanks VERY much for your detailed information - we are on the April 22nd CB cruise and I couldn't see paying $80 r/t (plus tip?) to get to Sapphire. We are goin' safari - actually sounds like more fun than a local taxi - travel like the locals do!

The problem with taking the safari from Crown Bay is crossing that very busy street to be on the side where traffic is going into town. There's no crosswalk near the Pueblo (not Publix), and I don't think there's one on the side near KFC. It's across the street from KFC, and the designated stop is across that street. If you like playing chicken, you'll love crossing that street.

Yes, the safaris run frequently, but if you're standing in 90 degree sun waiting, it doesn't always seem like it's frequent, especially after you've walked the distance to get to the stop.

It's easier and safer to pay the $4 taxi fare to town, and then take the safari from there. Taking the safari back is okay, because it puts you out on the side of the street that's easily walkable back to the ship.

When you say to pay the $4 taxi fare in to town.....WHERE in to town? What directions or request would we be telling the taxi driver?

In town, the safaris stop at the Vitran bus stops (but don't take the VITRAN bus - it'll take longer than the safaris, because they don't always stay on the main road, and they run like every two hours). There's one in front of the Holiday Inn Windward Passage, in front of International Plaza (Harley Davidson Store), and one in front of Vendor's Plaza ("tent city"). Most of the taxis will drop you off very close to one of these stops. The bus stops are cut-outs in the sidewalk so the bus can pull off the main road. Some are marked "Bus Stop," but I can't guarantee that it's always clearly marked. The lettering is starting to fade.

I really resented the taxi services in St. Thomas. They are aggressive and I felt severely hosed. We even got thrown out of our taxi to go to another because the drivers were fighting over who's passengers we were supposed to be. The angry driver went flying down the hill to the beach (open aired!) and we were all a bit frightened (and I live and drive everyday in Puerto Rico!). I was within 12 inches of getting gashes from foliage moving at such high speeds. The taxi system is well designed to provide employment to the island. We went to Magen's Bay (beautiful BTW), and the taxi drivers wouldn't leave until their taxi was full. They have a queue. I saw a huge waiting line for taxi's and it looks like they respect their pecking order. I figure they probably run 3 to 4 roundtrips per day and that is all they need to feed their families. The rest of the time they are standing around waiting for their turn in the queue. There were lots of these drivers. My impression is that the government has set up this incredibly expensive per person rate with no other means of public transportation. I had a severe wallet flogging ($70 just to go to the beach). Take the bus. Cross the street. You won't regret it if the cost is a consideration for you. I've seen local posters discouraging the bus (although I'm not sure why since it is a valid alternative in transportation. If you aren't concerned about the cost, then take the taxi). I do think the island may need the financial support, but the taxi was really obnoxious and I don't think it is warranted. It left a bad taste in my mouth about St. Thomas (even though I had a nice day at the beach).

• 5 months later...

We were in ST Thomas in May, we went downtown with a taxi and got off walked around a bit, and then inquired about the locals and safari buses. The local people said that to get to Sapphire beach would take us a very long time, it would be cheap but we would have to change buses part way through.

Anyway we were only there for the day and it was very hot and not a cloud in site, so we sucked it up and paid a taxi. If I was there a week I would try to use them to get around some, but not with limited time, and we sailed early at 5pm I think.

Archived