shipboard account amount without credit card question

midwestsolo

My question is about my shipboard account on HAL while cruising. If I don't use a credit card, will I be required to deposit $420(7 days at $60 per day) with cash or travelers checks up front? I read on an really old board that someone started by giving $300-$500 to start and just adding if needed.

While other lines may allow pax to give them a couple of hundred at a time, I believe I saw on the HAL website that if you are not using a credit card to secure your onboard account you will need to give them in cash or travelers checks (no personal checks) an amount equal to $60 per person per day for the total number of days of the sailing ... anything you don't spend will be refunded to you. You would pay the monies at embarkation when you check in at the port.

While other lines may allow pax to give them a couple of hundred at a time, I believe I saw on the HAL website that if you are not using a credit card to secure your onboard account you will need to give them in cash or travelers checks (no personal checks) an amount equal to $60 per person per day for the total number of days of the sailing ... anything you don't spend will be refunded to you. You would pay the monies at embarkation when you check in at the port.

I don't think that is quite correct. It is stated that $60 day per passenger for the length of the cruise. When I was checking in I said I did not want to use a credit card so I was told to sort it out on board. What I did then was to register my credit card with it noted in big letters that the card was not to be charged as we wished to pay in cash.

You are pretty safe registering your card as long as you make it perfectly clear that you will be paying in cash, you could also check it out again, as we did a couple of days prior to end of the cruise.

Archived