Dover, U. K. Visit

My wife and I will be sailing on the Constellation from Dover on 9/7/04. Does anyone know how easy it might be to get into Dover from the ship and back again? Is it within walking distance, do we need a bus or cab? Thanks.

We sailed on the Constellation last year, out of Dover. We elected to stay overnight in Dover so we could tour the Dover Castle... really interesting. It's actually quite a distance to walk into the town but catching a taxi there and back shouldn't be difficult. What you see from the ship is the waterfront, not really the town center. The town center isn't what I would term "quaint" but is decidedly English. If you arrive early, I would suggest seeing Dover Castle. The tunnels that were used during WWII by our military, are amazing. I think the "tunnel" tour is about an hour + in length.

Sandy

You will probably stop in the Eastern Docks, see map. The town centre is by the MUS just off the sea front by the jetties leisure centre.

Depends how fit you are whether a walk is OK. Taxis are easy if you need them. Dover Castle is a must, both above and below ground.

Click the following link for a map

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=634000&Y=142000&width=500&height=300&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=25000&left.x=5&left.y=94

Archived