Is there a train stop at Barcelona Cruise Ship Terminal?

Trying to figure out how to save some time. Thinking about taking the train vs the tourist bus to save some time. We only want to go up to see Sagrada Familia & and if time permits, maybe the park. We want to make sure we save enough time to walk along Las Ramblas later on.

Seems like if we take the bus, we have a long wait at the stops and must continue the loop. The train sounds like it might be a better idea.

Is there a train station at the pier? If not, what's the closest stop?

Anyone used the train just for their day at port?

Another option would be a taxi. We are 6 people that can split the cost.

Problem with the taxi is that I'm afraid we might get stuck in traffic.

Sorry if this is a repeat question...wish there was a better way to search these boards..!

There is no train stop near the pier. I hope someone with better knowledge answers your question, but I'll give you our experience. First, this port is huge and there are many, many ships in port. It just isn't practical to walk from a bus stop because you probably won't know which pier your ship is in. Ours turned out to be very, very far from the nearest public transportation. It would have been very difficult to walk that far with luggage. We took a taxi. Yes, there was a lot of traffic. But it was the only practical way to do it as far as I know.

With one day in port, and 6 of you, I agree that a cab would be the most efficient way of getting to Sagrada and Park Guell and then back to the top of Las Ramblas.

We spent two days pre-cruise in Barcelona and used the metro. If you know the bus and metro routes and have a plan in place ahead of time, you could probably use public transportation, but I think you will end up losing too much time trying to find your way around. Taxis are plentiful and fairly inexpensive in Barcelona .... it's an amazing city, so getting to your destination quickly is worth paying a bit more for when time is limited.

I agree that taking the taxi is the best option. We got a taxi at the terminal to take us to Sagrada Familia. It cost 16 Euros for two of us, though I believe the cost would have been the same for four passengers (I don't think the taxi could have taken 6 people). The cost of the ride was higher because the Sagrada is a "premium" cost run from the terminal (at least that's what the driver said, and I do think that is true;) ).

From the Sagrada, we picked up a couple of friends and the four of us took a taxi to the top of Las Ramblas for about 6 Euros total. From the end of Las Ramblas we took the shuttle (coming by every 1/2 hour) back to the ship. It cost 1 Euro per person. Much better than walking since it was hot and getting late.

thank you all for the information!

I agree that we would probably end up wasting more time trying to figure out the transit system, especially since we don't know any Spanish.

One more question...I've heard that getting to Park Guell requires lots of steps when taking the bus. Does anyone remember if this is true. Someone in my group will have a problem with this if steps are required & I'd rather find out now than when we get there.

I've heard there are a few entrances and if you enter from the top then it's a downhill walk, which would be okay. jWe could make sure the taxi drops us off there.

There is a tourist bus that goes to Sagrada Familia and all of the Gaudi sites. It is designed so that you can hop on and off it as many times as you like with one pass. It has been a few years since I was in Barcelona, so I can't remember the name of the square where the bus starts. It was within walking distance of La rambla. You may want to take a cab to la Rambla and start your site seeing from there.

Dear friends:

Greetings from our home in Barcelona.

A taxi driver is allowed to charge certain supplements (e.g. to or from the inside of the port (but not if you hail the cab on the street just outside of the port), to or from the airport, to or from the rail stations (not subway stations), to or from tradefair grounds, etc.).

All of these supplements and the general fare rules are posted on a sticker on the window of the passenger side of the taxi (in Catalán, Castellano, and English).

A taxi driver may have been in his right to charge you a supplement if you tok the cab from inside of the port. However, there is no such thing as a supplement to a "premium" site such as La Sagrada Familia.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

The only place in the world where I have been ripped off by taxi cabs was in Spain ( and I speak Spanish, so it was not a communication problem!). Make sure that they put the meter on. If he tells you the meter is broken, get out of the taxi!

Like Gunther says, they are only able to charge supplements in certain locations where you are picked up.

Archived