Alaska/Vancouver help with layered clothing suggestions!

ILikeShips

We are planning an inside passage cruise in August - our first - and would appreciate suggestions for what to take. We've previously cruised the Carribean. How heavy a coat or jacket? What items with layering worked best for you? Is it too cool to go out on deck at night? We are in our 60's.

Any ideas would be most welcome so we can start collecting needed items. Thanks!

We are planning an inside passage cruise in August - our first - and would appreciate suggestions for what to take. We've previously cruised the Carribean. How heavy a coat or jacket? What items with layering worked best for you? Is it too cool to go out on deck at night? We are in our 60's.

Any ideas would be most welcome so we can start collecting needed items. Thanks!

I haven't been to Alaska yet...I've got 65 days to go!!!...but if you go to the Alaska board and do a search you'll see that the clothing question has been asked a number of times and you should be able to find the answers to your questions.

Happy sailing!

:) We went to Alaska last September on a cruise. You will need a medium weight coat (for going out on deck early in the AM to see the glacier). We also flew out onto the glacier via helicopter and a medium coat was nice there too!. Other than that we wore long sleeve shirts and a light jacket. It's not all that cold. We brought gloves (handy on the glacier) and a hat. Also, a muffler to wrap around your neck works really well. Depending on the day you might not need a coat at all. On board the ship your regular wear is just fine...with the exception of the morning you see the glaciers. It was very early in the morning and very chilly. Another good tip is to bring a coat that has a zip out liner so it can be either a lightweight coat or a warmer coat. On more thing....it rains alot! So make sure that your coat is rain proof.

Hope this helps...if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Here's my review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=21540

But anyway the weather for us was very pleasant. some high 40's, mainly mid 50's....rained a little. We brough TOO many warm clothes ( we live in Chicago so we were prepared for the worse ), then passengers from Florida said they didn't bring enough. You really have to check the weather the week you are leaving.

You will need good walking shoes for around town and excursions. A waterproof jacket, or slicker, a warm hat, light gloves if your hands get cold quickly, a sweater, jeans or other rugged bottoms for excursions and around the ports. Other than that I think you'll be okay outside and at night. If you are cold they have these big fluffy blankets to wrap up in on deck.

The only real cold spot was Hubbard Glacier where it was about 30.

Maybe I'm used to the cold, but not only did I go snorkling, but I won the polar bear belly flop contest in only a speedo:eek: at Hubbard Glacier!

We brought way too much and ended up wearing the same items at ports on excursions, not wearing thermal underware or gloves, I usually wore flannel shirt with a quileted interior. Never wore the winter coat I brought.

Check before you leave and pack last minute. Thats my advice to you.

Dave:eek:

More of the same. I took a light rain proof jacket, jeans, hooded rain poncho (the cheap kind that you can fold into a baggy to take along), cotton turtleneck/long sleeved tops, fleece zippered vests, wooly headband, gloves, terry jogging suits for ship time, and a shawl for evening strolls. We went in September, and except for the Glacier day, found it very pleasant, but then we like 60 degree weather. One day it approached 70; the pool water is kept nicely warm, and I enjoyed the swim.

It will depend on you. I don't tolerate cold well, and to me 40-60 is cold. I took a full length fur lined rain coat and was glad to have it. I wore it everyday. We were there in May '99. I took a hooded scarf that wrapped around the neck and gloves.

For my cruisetour in August I have a polyester/wool cape with hat and gloves with a rain poncho. I'm hoping August will be a little warmer than May was. I also plan on packing my lightweight thermal long underwear, just in case I need it.

I looked a little ridiculous leaving LAX with my big coat when the temp was 75, but I was sure glad to have it. If you're cold and don't have it, nothing you can do. If it's warm and you don't need, no big deal.

I typically pack a few cold weather items, as well as few warm weather items. I've been in Hungary when it was supposed to be cold but they had a heat wave of 105. I've been in Italy when it was supposed to be warm and it dropped to 40. Australia was a real adventure, we went from 38 in the mountains of Tasmania to 98 with 98% humidity in Darwin. You want to talk packing dilemma???? Just try to plan for anything and have a great cruise!

For a September cruise we took:

for outdoors

Silk long johns and undershirts. I prefer turtle neck type

thermal socks, and some Hanes "worlds softest socks"

Jeans, or water resistant hiking pants with big pockets

watch cap (rarely worn),

waterproof jacket

flannel and/or denim long sleeve shirts.

sweater/hoodie or similiar

If you are leaving the ship for excursions, layer your clothes so you can be comfortable in any type of weather.

Inside the ship you will likely be OK with normal indoor clothing, (at least we were)

Alaska is a great destination: Have a great time.

Not clothing, but....Take a good high resolution digital camera and about twice as much memory as you think you will need. I shot almost a thousand 8 meg pictures in a week. (More than two hundred in two hours at Hubbard Glacier)

A polarfleece jacket (with windblock protection) worked great across a wide range of termperatures. Bring two pairs of walk-around shoes so you're not stuck when one pair gets wet. We invested in gore-tex rainwear (jacket for me, jacket & pants for husband & daughter) and it paid off -- we were very comfortable touring around even in significant rain, and a lot of our fellow passengers were cold, wet and unhappy. The jacket/pants combo was perfect for the biking expedition and the river rafting. We saw an amazing number of passengers get off in rain wearing those 99 cent ponchos made from dry-cleaner thickness plastic.:eek:

Needless to say, they didn't look happy. Hat with a brim, and I need a kerchief to cover my ears when it is windy.

Our voyage was on the cool and damp to wet side (early August), but I heard that the trip before ours was warm and dry. We still had a great time.

ILikeShips,

In the Inside Passage, Ketchikan offers daytime temperatures in the 60's and a fairly high probability of rain and Juneau tends to have similar temperatures with moderate probability of rain. A sweater or sweatshirt and a waterproof windbreaker will give you the flexibility that you'll need for these ports of call.

On both of my visits to Skagway, we had beautiful days -- generally sunny with a perhaps few scattered cumulus ("fair weather") clouds and temperatures in the upper 70's to lower 80's. One did not need a jacket there, though the windbreaker would be handy if you get a shower.

In Anchorage, I have encountered beautiful weather -- sunny, with daytie temperatures in the lower 80's and evening temperatures dropping to the upper 60's.

The real kicker is around glaciers. The calving of the glaciers continues at a sufficient rate to ensure that the bays with glaciers are full of ice water, and you'll see plenty of wildlife on the icebergs. Ice water is 32 degrees, and the air above it is not much warmer -- typically in the upper 30's in the daytime. Here, you'll want a winter coat, hat, and gloves or mittens since you probably will want to go out on deck while the ship is in these areas to view the glaciers and the wildlife.

Alaska is a fantastic destination. Have a great cruise!

Norm.

I strongly recommend a heavy coat or lots of layers if you are doing any kind of excursion that involves walking on glaciers. When the wind blows across the ice it makes a giant air conditioner and you feel like it is freezing outside even if the general air temperature is in the 60's.

If you have a down type coat you can pack it in a space bag. If you don't have room for a big coat, you can wear lots of layers. If you going to a glacier dress as if it is freezing outside.... coat or lots of layers, gloves and a hat.

Although it depends upon your warm/cold tolerance, most people won't need a heavy coat for AK. Layers are best.

1) A medium weight long-sleeve t-shirt

2) Polar fleece pullover

3) water-proof windbreaker - get something with a hood and enough coverage so that it will cover your rearend (be sure to buy large enough to go over the pullover)

4) heavy socks

5) shoes with a thick sole - you'll find that even many of the "city" sidewalks are uneven and require some "off roading" -- if you are lucky enough to be walking on glaciers, some expeditions will provide a boot, while others provide only gators for over your shoes (designed more to protect the glacier from dirt than provide comfort for the wearer). A thick sole will keep your feet warmer.

6) light gloves or mittens (I always bring pairs of "magic gloves", the 2-pair for $1.98 at your local discount store in the winter things - they are small and more than adequate for early-morning on-deck and excursion wear)

7) for folks with less hair than I have, a hat is a good add on - you may not need it but if you do it is a lifesaver.

8) long pants - on the heavy side. If you are prone to being cold, a layer of silks or running tights under them may be a good idea for the coldest days on deck and/or excursions.

For around town in port and on deck during the day, most people will be quite comfortable in regular spring/autumn wear. Most ports are in rainy areas so be prepared with a waterproof jacket and/or umbrella.

Hi,

ILikeShips, you don't indicate where you live and what type of climate you're accustomed to.

My personal opinion is that your primary climate will play a major role in just how heavy your outerwear and/or coats should be.

For instance, if you live in the northern tier of US states and are used to a somewhat cooler or moderate climate, your Alaksa layering might not need to be as heavy.

But, if you live in more balmy climes and/or don't tolerate damp chill weather, opt for the heavier garments.

We live in the Pacific Northwest, so for us Alaska is cool but not unbearable. We've traveled the Inside Passage with friends from Florida who, though layered with stocking caps, jackets, and mittens were still freezing.

Lots of good ideas in the above posts on the type of layering you'll want to consider.

Above all, enjoy the spectacular natural beauty that SE Alaska and the Canadian Inside Passage has to offer!

CM

My Connecticut blood has thinned out after several decades of living in Southern California, so I'm with agabbymama on feeling the cold!

For our Alaska trip in September, I brought an anorak (hooded fleece-lined waterproof jacket) that was a perfect weight - it kept me warm & dry during a 3-hour hike in the pouring rain in Juneau without being overly warm. I wore waterproof walking shoes from LL Bean that doubled as gym shoes (for a week or two they're fine, although a little warm as they don't breathe) and lightweight hiking pants. I wore some ragg socks under the shoes & my feet stayed warm and dry! My only regret was not having long underwear for under the pants, but my natural, um, insulation helped a lot. And I wore a baseball cap under the hood so the visor would keep the rain off my face. I strongly advise against jeans because if it does rain they will become sodden and COLD and you will be unhappy.

The anorak was perfect for viewing the glacier - we watched from our balcony, so we had some protection from the wind. I would also bring a sweater or sweatshirt for another layer, and something to ward off a chill in the dining room if they over-aircondition it. I also had gloves & a wool cap.

We were there in August two years ago and at two of the ports we had on T-shirts! We brought a thin and a "ski" jacket. The kids NEVER wore more than their thin coats and except for the time by the Glacier, neither did we.

We live in WA and do a lot of hiking so we just packed (and dressed) like that - a few layers were fine. Unless they are expecting a very cold summer!

To all who so kindly offered the greatest info above! We really appreciate it, probably more than you know. These boards are the best ever. We live in Massachusetts and do have cold days but not quite like Canada ! ! This Winter was relatively mild overall for us here. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can send for slik long john underwear - that's a great idea and knowing me I'll probably want to wear the set almost 24/7 ! !

herewego,

We were there in August two years ago and at two of the ports we had on T-shirts! We brought a thin and a "ski" jacket. The kids NEVER wore more than their thin coats and except for the time by the Glacier, neither did we.

We live in WA and do a lot of hiking so we just packed (and dressed) like that - a few layers were fine. Unless they are expecting a very cold summer!

Yes, and I'll bet that you all were very glad to have those nice warm ski jackets during your time by the glacier!

Norm.

I have been to Alaska four times- twice in May, once in June and once in July.

Take layers:

TAKE SHORTS AND SWIMSUITS

JEANS OR LONG PANTS

T SHIRTS AND A SWEATJACKET

and a windbreaker or lightweight coat

Have fun. During Glacier Bay- wear one of the Celebrity robes and sit on your balcony. It is great.

I have cruised to alaska twice before, one more time coming up in June. I also end up purchasing Alaska fleece jackets at the ports that are excellent prices. I wouldn't take to much, and maybe plan on making a new purchase. It's really not that cold, unless you're walking the top deck after dinner with the wind blowing - then it's really cold and fun!!!

Welcome to the forum, my wife and I who are in our 60's as well, we coped by

wearing Goretex jackets and sweater fleeces, if you wish you are most welcome to check out my webshots and visually see how we did it, by the way a pair of gloves will not go wrong.

http://community.webshots.com/user/payman210

the section is under Alaska by Infinity, this was in late June 2006, good luck

Archived