Mahahual questions!

KyleesMom

Hey yall...just a few more days until we sail and I was curious does the mahahual beach area have showers or bathrooms? We will be traveling with a toddler and it will be nice to get the sand off before heading back to the ship. Also, is it easy to catch a taxi BACK to the ship?? Are there a good number of chairs or shade here?

Thanks in advance!!!

Tiff

I remember bathrooms at the beach we were at (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the beach bar), it was a bar with swings instead of barstools, if this helps? The restrooms were across the street, it was a one stall affair. I do not remember seeing showers. :)

I LOVED Mahahual! What a fun, relaxing day we had there, and the people were wonderful. I got my daughters hair braided there, her entire head, for around $30. Massages were inexpensive, and the people were so friendly and nice. Have a great time!

When we were there last March - we couldn't find anywhere to change. We ended up being offered the back area of a vendors booth to get into our suits. It was private and we appreciated it. I saw no showers at all. It is a wonderful place and we enjoyed our time there - and got a 30 monites masage for $ 15.00!

I remember bathrooms at the beach we were at (I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the beach bar), it was a bar with swings instead of barstools, if this helps? The restrooms were across the street, it was a one stall affair. I do not remember seeing showers. :)

I LOVED Mahahual! What a fun, relaxing day we had there, and the people were wonderful. I got my daughters hair braided there, her entire head, for around $30. Massages were inexpensive, and the people were so friendly and nice. Have a great time!

That sounds like Pez Quadro. We didn't make it there on our last cruise as the port was closed due to rough seas. The last time we were there, there were plenty of little places along the beach with either palapas or umbrellas. All the restrooms seemed to be across the street. I didn't see any showers either.

There's bathrooms right across from Cat's Meow at the beach (right next to Designs by Miles - really cool beach cover ups). I didn't see anywhere to shower off, but I do know there were washrooms because after sucking back all those wonderful margueritas I sure needed them.

BTW don't pass up those incredible $20 (for 45 min) massages they have. I had Alphonso and he has magic hands! Just ask George at Cat's Meow to set you up with someone for massage. He'll take care of you. I LOVE MAJAHUAL BEACH. That day just was not long enough!!

Kim

There's bathrooms right across from Cat's Meow at the beach (right next to Designs by Miles - really cool beach cover ups). I didn't see anywhere to shower off, but I do know there were washrooms because after sucking back all those wonderful margueritas I sure needed them.

BTW don't pass up those incredible $20 (for 45 min) massages they have. I had Alphonso and he has magic hands! Just ask George at Cat's Meow to set you up with someone for massage. He'll take care of you. I LOVE MAJAHUAL BEACH. That day just was not long enough!!

Kim

I agree about those massages! It's probably been three years since we were last there but I still remember Jorge's magic hands!

This port definately does NOT get the kudos that it deserves! It's honestly one of my favorites, and there really isn't all that much to it. It's just the good vibe, nice beach, pretty water, and the people that make it so special. (Even if you can't shower, lol).

We loved Mahajual, too, but the bathrooms were not real nice. Getting a cab back is very easy, and maybe they have showers at the port? We didn't spend much time there. although it was very pretty, with the pool and shops.

This was my favorite port!!! Absolutely beautiful and relaxing. Plenty of places to sit in the shade at the bars by the beach, beers by the bucket 6/$10 (Modelo, Corona, yum!!) Sitting by the water with a beer in hand reminded me of one of those Corona comercials. Lots of vendors to haggle with up and down the beach (I had a blast with this) and the locals were very nice. Taxi's back to port were plentiful and they charged $2. per person (we also gave a tip).

There was a guy who walked around selling Mexican treats (candy) all the locals were running up to him to buy stuff so you know it must be good. We bought a few different things and they were good. If you like massages take advantage of this. This day was not long enough!!!!

Tip..... Bring lots of ones, fives and tens......... When you haggle for things you don't want to show them bigger money. I would carry a five and five ones in each pocket that way if I said I only had $10. that was all I pulled out to show them. This made it easier for me. Have fun!!:o

Lori

I remember the bar with the swings at the end of the village on the left. They made good drinks and dh had lunch there said it was good as well. There were bathrooms across the st. The Taxi driver coming back was fine we felt very safe w/him. I had my 1st massage ever when we were there. It was wonderful!! This was a very relaxing day for us as well. Glad we ventured past the main square with the pool.

Deb

Were the taxi drivers good drivers, or did they drive 90mph and reckless, like in Cozumel?

Thanks for any info...

If you are talking about the taxi drivers who drive you from Costa Maya pier to Majahual, no, they are not as reckless as in Cozumel. It is a very short ride to Majahual and part of the trip is over a real paved road.:)

Dianne

KyleesMom:

We were there last in November & I don't remember seeing any showers. However I did see a couple of the vendor's giving their toddlers a quick ``bath'' in the sink of a women's bathroom. Seemed to be the place where the locals wash off the sand of their children and the toddlers seemed to be quite used to the procedure.

Dianne

Here is a quick tip for all of you.

When you go to the beach - take a small bottle of baby powder with you. If your feet or body if covered with DRY sand. Just sprinke the baby powder on you and then wipe off. It will take all the sand off with it without hurting. I always carry a small bottle of baby powder in my beach bags!

Here's another beach tip:

If sand fleas love you as much as they love me, stick to beaches where you see roaming stray dogs. Have been to a couple of private beaches in the Caribbean where there are no stray dogs but lots of sand fleas and have litterally felt like a dinner buffet and have come home with bite welts that lasted for weeks after the cruise. Never had that problem with any of the open, public beaches where stray dogs roam at will.

Now I understand why those stray dogs always look so thin, tired and sad. It's all about the billion or so fleas they are feeding on their body. :eek: But at least the fleas aren't feeding off of me.:)

Guess I should pass out dog treats to them as a thank you for taking the bites out of me that I would normally get.:D

Dianne

Just got back, and would have to give a big thumbs up to the Cat's Meow. I think it's the 2nd restaurant you will hit when walking from the cab area. The wife got a wonderful 45 min. massage for $20 that was arranged by our waiter Jorge. All we had to do was to mention it and Jorge brought it (he even showed us which vendors would give us the best deal and spoke to them for us). I will have to say even if you don't stay there at least stop and get an order of their coconut shrimp!!! Their bathrooms are very nice and very clean. We stayed there almost all day and the entire bill for 2 orders of fajitas, coconut shrimp, and maragritas for the wife and coronas for me was $52. It was WELL worth it. By the way almost anything you see in the shops around the pool at the pier you can get for 10-20% there. One of the best (if not the best) port I've been to.

Archived