Is HAL for us?

tarheelmjfan

We usually sail on Celebrity, but their sailings are getting fewer & fewer to locations & dates that work for us. We have a 15 yr. old son, & I suggested a Carnival cruise to him. My hubby & I were willing to give it a try, because the ship was sailing from our home port. Our son isn't buying that idea at all. He wants to go on X again, but as I already noted, that's not possible for the dates we're looking at. From what I've read, HAL is the closest experience to X of the Mass Market lines.

The things we're looking for: Formal nights, great food (we're adventurous), room service breakfast (preferably w/ hot food), shows after late seating dinner we can all enjoy together, & other things we can do as a family. Our son most likely will not go to the teen club or attempt to meet new friends. We'll be together as a family most, if not all, of the time.

Your input will be very much appreciated. FYI, we're looking for a cruise over Thanksgiving week, if it matters.

Kenneth and Tammy,

Hubby and I are in our 50's. We have only sailed on the Veendam with ports of call being Key West, Belize, Costa Maya and Guatemala. As I can only speak of our cruise, most of the passengers on board were 50 and older. Although, there were some passengers under 50. From the information I've read on this board, Holland's "claim to fame" is that they are very traditional in their cruising style and activities. As you said that your son won't be participating in the "teen area" activities, I have a feeling he may be somewhat bored without taking advantage of this special place they have for the teenagers on board. Of course, there is the Lido pool and games, books and puzzles in the library area as well as the daily games set up by the cruise directors. He may even find some kids to hang with when not with you two. My suggestion would be to monitor this board as well as to go on Holland's website and read up on the activities on board. Don't forget about shore excursions!! There's a lot of cool places and activities for the 3 of you to do together. The food on Holland is always subjective. Being from the south, I tend to gravitate towards meat and potatoes, but I did enjoy trying new things. Oh, they have the most wonderful bread pudding with vanilla sauce on the dessert bar!! Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful family vacation.

Cindy

Cindy,

Thanks for the quick reply. We'll definitely be doing shore excursions at every port. We let our son choose them. I do all the tours I'm physically able to do or am brave enough for. His dad plays the guinea pig & has to suck it up & go on all of them. :p I'm mostly concerned with what there is to do after late seating dinner. Since we'll most likely be together all the time, if one of us is bored, we'll all be. :o We're definitely not just meat & potato eaters, although we're more than happy with a great steak. Our son & I are very adventurous, when it comes to food though. My husband isn't quite as adventurous, but he's not into bland, boring food either. We love specialty restaurants, but I'm not sure if HAL has those or not. The idea of going on a HAL cruise is a new one (today actually), so I have lots of reading to do. Woohoo, more planning!!! :D

The things we're looking for: Formal nights, great food (we're adventurous), room service breakfast (preferably w/ hot food), shows after late seating dinner we can all enjoy together, & other things we can do as a family. Our son most likely will not go to the teen club or attempt to meet new friends. We'll be together as a family most, if not all, of the time.

HAL offers all of the above. I wouldn't say that HAL has alot for family groups but my older children love the team trivia and ship building contests.

They hold games like "not so newly wed game" and Scattergories

If you don't find want you want for breakfast on the room service card you cam call your order in. Room service is 24/7 with fewer choices from 11pm until 5am. Standard room service menus are in the cabins in the Blue Book but we've never had a request rejected during daytime hours

There are 2 formal nights on a 7-day, 3 on a 10-14 day, and 4 on a 16+ day cruise. After May '07 there won't be anymore "informal" nights, just "smart casual" and formal.

Late shows generally start at 10:30. There is a crew show one night every week at 11:30. It alternates between the Indonesian and Filipino crews.

Of course I can't tell you that everything is better on HAL but you get more bang for your buck. HAL has many complimentary services.

Some services are reserved for suite pax but most are available to all.

If you ask specific questions you'll get answers here.

Welcome to the HAL board,

GN

I sail most of the mass marketed cruise lines. Based upon what you have told us, it seems to me that HAL will be a good fit for the three of you to achieve a family cruise.

X sometimes seems a little more sophisticated than HAL but the crew and service on HAL are far more sincere and genuine.

I am curious as your son's age, which intinerary strikes your fancy and when you are thinking of sailing. Please tell. :)

Tammy,

I had to stop and read when I saw your post.Long time no see. We were on Century together a while back. Hope all has been well with you all. Kenny was not with you on our cruise.

We are in the same boat (hahaha) as you all. We love X, but have little to nothing to choose from at the time we can go. We are booked on RCI, but think HAL is a better substitute for X. If it fits your schedule, we have a deposit on the Westerdam for 12/16. It goes to exciting new and different ports--Tortola, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and the old fave St. Thomas. My son is 13 and would love to see someone near his age.

Good luck in your decision, and I've missed you on the boards.

Don't recall that you mentioned possible destinations, but have been on cruises to both Alaska and the Caribbean on HAL where we met families with young teens who had a wonderful time, especially because they enjoyed the excursions and because they were adventurous enough to appreciate the more sophisticated menus.

I especially remember a young man (13) who was at our table with his parents on the Alaskan cruise, At one port where Micky D style hamburgers were available, a woman stopped by our table to say to him "I'll bet you really enjoyed getting a burger after all this fancy food."

Very politely, but seriously and firmly, he replied, "No, I didn't want to spoil my appetite for this great cuisine."

I'd bet your son would do just fine on HAL. Instead of the teen scene, maybe he'd enjoy the internet package that's available.

I have to echo what everyone else is saying here. We are very loyal Celebrity fans, however HAL is our fallback when we can't match a Celebrity cruise to our calendar.

We find they run very close in meeting our needs and assure you if you like what C offers, you will like HAL.

Tom

If you don't find want you want for breakfast on the room service card you cam call your order in. Room service is 24/7 with fewer choices from 11pm until 5am. Standard room service menus are in the cabins in the Blue Book but we've never had a request rejected during daytime hours

GN

Thanks for all the info. I'm curious about your suggestion for calling in an order to room service, if you don't see what you want on the menu. How do you know what's available to order? Just wondering, because that sounds like a great option.

I am curious as your son's age, which intinerary strikes your fancy and when you are thinking of sailing. Please tell.

Our son's 15. I'm not certain about the itinerary yet. We didn't start considering HAL until yesterday. It looks like there's a few different itineraries to consider, during the time frame we're looking at. Ship, itinerary, & available cabins will all play a factor in which we choose. I'll let you all know, as soon as we choose one. :)

I had to stop and read when I saw your post.Long time no see. We were on Century together a while back. Hope all has been well with you all. Kenny was not with you on our cruise.

We are in the same boat (hahaha) as you all. We love X, but have little to nothing to choose from at the time we can go. We are booked on RCI, but think HAL is a better substitute for X. If it fits your schedule, we have a deposit on the Westerdam for 12/16. It goes to exciting new and different ports--Tortola, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and the old fave St. Thomas. My son is 13 and would love to see someone near his age.

Good luck in your decision, and I've missed you on the boards.

Hi Becky,

It seems like that Century cruise was forever ago. We went on Mercury shortly after that one, & Century was sooooo much better. You're right about Kenny not going on that cruise. It was our anniversary, & the 1st time we'd travelled without him. Kenneth was on cloud nine. While onboard Century, we booked Mercury during Kenny's Spring Break. Once again, Kenny didn't want to go. :eek: I resisted, but Kenneth thought it was fine to let him spend the time in NC with our family. By the middle of the cruise, Kenneth was joining my camp & we decided we'd never again travel without him until we have no other choice. We had 3 other cruises booked. Kenny really didn't want to go, so we cancelled all of them. We're now having serious withdrawals, & have reached a compromise. We're going on 2 getaways of Kenny's choice, & he's going on another cruise with us. He really is starting to get excited about the idea now. He likes dressing up, & eating great food. We'd love to cruise with you guys again. Unfortunately, Kenny has finals right before Christmas break, so Dec. 19th won't work for us. :( We couldn't talk you guys into going over Thanksgiving instead could we? :D That exact ship & itinerary is one we're considering.

Don't recall that you mentioned possible destinations, but have been on cruises to both Alaska and the Caribbean on HAL where we met families with young teens who had a wonderful time, especially because they enjoyed the excursions and because they were adventurous enough to appreciate the more sophisticated menus.

I'd bet your son would do just fine on HAL. Instead of the teen scene, maybe he'd enjoy the internet package that's available.

We're looking at cruises leaving from Florida this time. Our son's school schedule limits the number of days we have available. We cruised to Alaska with him in '05. He did get a little bored, but that was a long trip. Between land & sea, it was 16 nights. We had a fabulous time, but there was quite a few sea days. Great for my DH & I, not so much for our son.

The internet package is a wonderful idea. I didn't even know there was one. We'll definitely look into it. He'd really enjoy that for filling in some time at sea.

I have to echo what everyone else is saying here. We are very loyal Celebrity fans, however HAL is our fallback when we can't match a Celebrity cruise to our calendar.

We find they run very close in meeting our needs and assure you if you like what C offers, you will like HAL.

Tom

Thanks for the reassurance. It's getting harder & harder to find an X cruise that fits into our schedule.

We are going on our first cruise this year (Alaska on the Ryndam in July)with our almost 16 year old son and almost 21 year old daughter who is about to finish university. They are both really excited about it. Having not cruised before we looked at all the brochures (before I found these boards!) and we all felt that HAL would suit us best. We wanted many of the same things as you and were looking to spend quality time together, rather than having endless activities for the youngsters to go off and do on their own. They both enjoy eating in restaurants (not so often when we are at home here in England, but always during our regular holiday trips to America when it's so much better value for money!) Depending on your budget and if you are happy to share with your son, you might like to look at a HAL deluxe verandah suite - my husband laughed when I first suggested it, as for just the two of us it was extremely expensive. However, HAL's charge for 3rd and 4th person sharing a cabin is so low that when we divided the total amount between the four of us it was very manageable. It means we are going to get a very large cabin and balcony, use of the Neptune lounge and all the other suite perks. Can't wait!! The only probem is that it might spoil us for any future cruises!

Funny you should mention that. I was just looking at available cabins, & was wondering about the suites. We know Celebrity's ships well, but are clueless about HAL ships. I'm trying to figure out what the most desirable cabins in each category are. I was just on my way to see what perks are included when staying in a suite.

We always stay together, even if we take a friend for our son. I'm a bit overprotective, & don't consider 15 old enough for your own room. :o We're more interested in a large balcony, than large cabin. A suite isn't necessary, but if that's what it takes to get a good size balcony, we'll most likely go that direction. The suite perks will also play a factor, I suppose. Hopefully, it's not too late to get a good balcony cabin for Thanksgiving. BTW, it's great you got a good rate for the 3rd & 4th person. We're looking at a holiday sailing, & the extra person rate seems kind of high. On the other hand, the 1st & 2nd person rate is very reasonable. Go figure.

PS: You'll love Alaska. You've chosen a great 1st cruise.

Kenneth & Tammy,

The cabin selection depends on the ships you are considering.

There will be a fair amount of teens onboard Zuiderdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Oosterdam during Thanksgiving.

Your selection for breakfast is vast on HAL, anything you get from CC or Suites on Celebrity - will arrive hot and ontime.

The ships I mentioned above have larger balconies on their aft.......as big or bigger than the aft balconies on the "M" class ships.

Holiday time periods and 7 night cruises will find a good many children & teens onboard.

Give HAL a try, they are a solid choice for a traditional cruise experience.

I've been on both Carnival and HAL and I think a 15 year old will be bored on HAL. My family sailed the Oosterdam last year and my sister (17) and I felt like the only ones under 40 on the whole boat. Carnival is much more fun for all ages, and although I haven't sailed Royal Carribbean their new Freedom of the Seas boat looks pretty amazing!!

Good luck!

Spot & filmgirl,

Thanks for the input. I think we've decided to price out HAL ships & the Caribbean Princess for Thanksgiving week. We'll probably choose based on cabin locations available. It appears CP (or is that CB :confused: ) has better options available at the present, at least for the type of cabins we prefer. I'm waiting to hear from a TA to verify that though. Also, traditional dining is important us. For that reason, CP may not work out anyway.

I appreciate all the help I've been given. Thanks for putting up with me, while I think out loud. :p

Spot & filmgirl,

Thanks for the input. I think we've decided to price out HAL ships & the Caribbean Princess for Thanksgiving week. We'll probably choose based on cabin locations available. It appears CP (or is that CB :confused: ) has better options available at the present, at least for the type of cabins we prefer. I'm waiting to hear from a TA to verify that though. Also, traditional dining is important us. For that reason, CP may not work out anyway.

I appreciate all the help I've been given. Thanks for putting up with me, while I think out loud. :p

\

Caribbean Princess has very nice mini-suites that would comfortably fit 3. Also, if you are concerned about Anything Dining, Princess does still offer traditional early and late.

Tammy,

You are so kind to invite us. We love to cruise over Thanksgiving, but Meaghan is in college and only gets a couple days off and being just before finals, she can't cut the rest of the week.

I think you (and I) will be happy with HAL. Good luck and hopefully we will cruise together again.

My friend really likes Princess... he says they are classier then Carnival, but not as stuffy as HAL...

And your friend has a right to HIS opinion...;)

Tammy... Have been on Princess, X, And HA and would recomend them all.. Everybody will have their opinion on good or bad.. I believe variety/change is the way for you to determine what is good for you..

IMO HA is anything but stuffy!! They have the best crews that I have encountered..:rolleyes:

Bulldog

And your friend has a right to HIS opinion...;)

Tammy... Have been on Princess, X, And HA and would recomend them all.. Everybody will have their opinion on good or bad.. I believe variety/change is the way for you to determine what is good for you..

IMO HA is anything but stuffy!! They have the best crews that I have encountered..:rolleyes:

Bulldog

I agree...we were on HAL for the first time this past winter and the crew was outstanding. We're experienced cruisers, and they were the best we've ever encountered on any cruiseline. We loved our HAL experience.

While we weren't thrilled with the Caribbean Princess (it was overrun with unruly kids and this was in September, a time we felt would be safe), I'm not sure it's fair to say it's not a good ship. We had done the Grand and the Golden and figured we'd love Caribbean Princess just as much, but this wasn't the case. However, their mini-suites are very roomy for 3 and they are reasonably priced.

But I would not hesitate to do HAL. I used to think if kids were involved, it had to be Carnival or RCL. However, we just got back from Celebrity Century (Easter week, no less) and we were onboard with my sibs, in-laws, parents, and nieces and nephews. I worried the younger kids would be bored (5 kids ranging from 6-year-old twins, 9 year old, 12 year old, and 14 year old). They all had a great time.

I would consider all factors before you decide. Price, accommodations, itinerary, demographics, etc., before I would make a final decision. We have four sons ages 22 to 25 and I can tell you that while we love HAL, they would be bored to death at night. You know your kids best and are in the best position to decide. I didn't think my nieces and nephew would like Celebrity, but my brother and sister said they would. They were right. They'd probably like HAL also, but I know my kids, and they (being older) like a lot of night life and you just don't get that on HAL.

I agree...we were on HAL for the first time this past winter and the crew was outstanding.

I agree, HAL's crew was excellent, but my sisters and I being ages 17-25 felt like the only people under 40, with not much to do. Things like the art actions, which I loved on carnival, were definitely more stuffy on HAL because they are targeting a different audience.

I'm not criticizing HAL, I just think it is meant for an older crowd (no offense to anyone!)

Hi, Tammy and Kenneth.

Imagine finding you over here! :p I am doing exactly as you, finding out how well HAL will match up to our experiences with X, and for the same reasons. I am just beginning to look around as well. You are getting some great answers.

Have you figured out sizes/names of ships in comparison to Century and Millennium? Those are perfect in size for us.

BTW, we finally got to Asheville (Biltmore) about a month ago.:D Fabulous place. How much of those wonderful mountains are in the rest of your state?

Regards,

Bill (Century, Nov./05)

Have you figured out sizes/names of ships in comparison to Century and Millennium? Those are perfect in size for us.

)

Hello.. At the top of the HA board you will find a sticky named a intro to HA fleet.. It will give you a idea on the size of HA ships..

Bulldog

Hi, Tammy and Kenneth.

Imagine finding you over here! :p I am doing exactly as you, finding out how well HAL will match up to our experiences with X, and for the same reasons. I am just beginning to look around as well. You are getting some great answers.

BTW, we finally got to Asheville (Biltmore) about a month ago.:D Fabulous place. How much of those wonderful mountains are in the rest of your state?

Regards,

Bill (Century, Nov./05)

Hi gum guy, :D

I'm glad to see the two of you finally made it to the Biltmore House. Don't you just wish you could move in? :p I'm not sure which route you took, so I don't know which mtns. you saw. NC does have some beautiful scenery. You should see the mtns. in the fall. Did you guys freeze? The weather in NC has been crazy this winter. My sister visited us for Spring Break, then drove home in the snow. There's nothing like swimming with manatees & playing in the ocean 1 day, then driving in snow the next. :eek: Better her than me. lol

I haven't done a lot of ship comparisons yet. We're also considering Princess, so I've been trying to read as much as possible on both lines. Hopefully, we'll choose correctly. It's looking like we're going to have to find a new cruise line of choice. Celebrity's itineraries don't seem to work for us at all anymore. It's really a bummer.

Hi gum guy, :D

I'm glad to see the two of you finally made it to the Biltmore House. Don't you just wish you could move in? :p I'm not sure which route you took, so I don't know which mtns. you saw. NC does have some beautiful scenery. You should see the mtns. in the fall. Did you guys freeze? The weather in NC has been crazy this winter. My sister visited us for Spring Break, then drove home in the snow. There's nothing like swimming with manatees & playing in the ocean 1 day, then driving in snow the next. :eek: Better her than me. lol

I haven't done a lot of ship comparisons yet. We're also considering Princess, so I've been trying to read as much as possible on both lines. Hopefully, we'll choose correctly. It's looking like we're going to have to find a new cruise line of choice. Celebrity's itineraries don't seem to work for us at all anymore. It's really a bummer.

We haven't quite run out of itineraries yet. As a matter of fact, since I posted above, I booked a southern cruise as far as Panama on Constellation. :) (We were aboard her in August for a Baltic cruise, which was great. And while aboard, I pre-booked a Hawaiian cruise for November, but changed it to this one.)

We stopped in NC about a month ago, driving back from Florida. Took I-26 and eventually I-81, so I believe we saw at least the Blue Ridge Mts. Were even partly in Tennessee, and wondered if we were also looking at the Smokies or whether they are the same ones. In Virginia, I think we were near the Shennandoahs. At any rate, they are fabulous and must be wonderful in the fall. Warm, wonderful weather with early shrubs blooming wild all over the roadsides. We still have snow here in N.B. this year,which is late even for us.:eek:

Good luck in your search for an interesting itinerary. Drop a line when you find it on the Celebrity board; maybe the folks at X/RCCL will take note of posters who are leaving their ships for others! Bill

Archived