Are jacket and tie compuslory in dining room?

den23

hi there

this is our first cruise on a carnival ship.we are on the Freedom in july. we are really excited about it but concerned that we may get the dress code wrong so since you guys on this site seem really well informed can anyone tell me if my husband needs to wear a jacket and tie in the dining room. thanks

Carnival has relaxed their definition of what is considered formal to include sport coat/blazer and tie. 85-90% will comply. There will be suits and tuxedos also. For those that don't want to dress for dinner, the Lido buffet will be open in the evening.

I saw two that wore ties, but no jacket, and they stood out like sore thumbs. Especially when the maitre d' was commenting how smashing everyone looked, and to give themselves a round of applause.

They didn't return the second formal night.

I saw two that wore ties, but no jacket, and they stood out like sore thumbs. Especially when the maitre d' was commenting how smashing everyone looked, and to give themselves a round of applause.

They didn't return the second formal night.

MrPete

I guess the maitre d' made his/her point on their dress expectations.:D

Dark suit and tie is recommended on formal night. But, you will be fine with a sports coat and tie. On some cruises (Conquest) there tend to be more people that come informal. They won't kick you out of the dining room for improper attire on any of the Carnival ships that I've been on (but they will on Princess).

Except on formal night.

They won't kick you out on formal night either. Just look real nice.

Please don't flame me. I know many of you think I'm terrible, but DH looks nice and I really never notice what everyone else is wearing.:)

We took my dad on a cruise in September. We were on the Valor and it was his first time o nthe ocean since 50's when he was i nthe Navy. On formal night he was wiped out from the excursion, so he took a nap. Dinner time he didn’t show up, so I got concerned. I ran to his room to find him waking from his nap. He said he would be up in a few and to order his dinner. He showed up in shorts and a polo shirt unaware it was formal night. Our table Maitre D told us not worry and to enjoy dinner. Got him in his suit for the Dinner Club though, lol.

My DH only wears a suit and tie on formal nights. On the other nights he usually wears beige kaki type pants and one of those loud hawaii type shirts. He has had so many comments on them but none of them negitive.

My DFIL wear shorts to dinner in the dining room almost every night except on the formal nights and no one said anything to him. We told him shorts aren't allowed but he didn't seem to care and neither did anyone else. They where nice dressy shorts but still shorts. I figure at 75 years of age he can wear what he wants.......Just my opinion...:D

Kim

a Polo shirt and Docker type pants (clean and fresh every night not something I've worn all day). I don't like to wear ties and jackets. Nobody has ever said anything to me and I've seen plenty of men dressed similarly (even on formal night). My thoughts are that if you want to dress up that's fine, do it. I don't like to so I don't.

Steve

My DH only wears a suit and tie on formal nights. On the other nights he usually wears beige kaki type pants and one of those loud hawaii type shirts. He has had so many comments on them but none of them negitive.

My DFIL wear shorts to dinner in the dining room almost every night except on the formal nights and no one said anything to him. We told him shorts aren't allowed but he didn't seem to care and neither did anyone else. They where nice dressy shorts but still shorts. I figure at 75 years of age he can wear what he wants.......Just my opinion...:D

Kim

Your DFIL was the most interesting man! I just loved meeting him and his wife! What fun they were! :D

On our Destiny cruise in March the only people I saw asked to leave were the two guys who showed up in togas(bedsheets) with flower crowns on their heads on formal night. Other than those two I have never seen anyone sent away from dinner for not following the dress code.(And I did see jeans and shorts).

They won't kick you out of the dining room for improper attire on any of the Carnival ships that I've been on (but they will on Princess).

Yes they will!

I have seen them do it many times.

Last Carnival cruise, they kicked out 4 diifferent parties of people on the first night.

And from there on out, there was even more being told they needed to eat at the Lido.

Op, you will be fine if you follow the required dress code for each night, the required dress will be stated in your cruise docs,

you DH will not be required to wear a jacket or tie on normal dining nights.

Archived