Pearl Penthouse (AE) Question

mom58

Hi! I know someone has already asked a similar question about the Spirit, but I'm new to NCL and don't know how alike the two ships are. I've searched every way I know how on these boards, and I can't find out if there is a difference between the AD (romance) penthouse suite and the AE penthouse suite, other than the AD is a deck 10 instead of 8 or 9.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise without our children (we've had cruises on Carnival) and we're incredibly excited to be booking a suite. We had oceanview on the Sensation and a balcony on the Glory, and had a wonderful time on those cruises. But to be alone . . . woo hoo!

So, we have an AE on deck 8 booked, which is an aft. The AD's look to be the same on the NCL website, but are they really? Would it really make any difference to be on deck 10 as opposed to 8? The only AE's on deck 9 still available are handicapped, and I certainly wouldn't want to keep someone who actually needed those cabins from having them.

And, if anyone has real pictures of 8630 I would love to see them. Any particular information would be fabulous. Reading all of this is part of the fun for me!

The AE and AD cabin lay out ist the same! The Ad has a very huge balcony with 2 lounge chairs and a table with 2 chairs while the AE only has 2 chairs and a little table.

I had friends staying in both cabins and had a look at them...they are really qute!

Personally I'd get the AD only because you'd have an aft suite; overlooking the wake. No wind and pretty smooth sailing. The price might be a little less than an AE too. And you still get all the perks of a PH passenger. :D

You mistaking it with an AC penthouse, which I would never go for!

Personally I'd get the AD only because you'd have an aft suite; overlooking the wake. No wind and pretty smooth sailing. The price might be a little less than an AE too. And you still get all the perks of a PH passenger. :D

The AE is also an aft penthouse overlooking the wake. The AE is cheaper than the AD. Maybe you're thinking of an AB, oceandreaming?

Hi! I know someone has already asked a similar question about the Spirit, but I'm new to NCL and don't know how alike the two ships are. I've searched every way I know how on these boards, and I can't find out if there is a difference between the AD (romance) penthouse suite and the AE penthouse suite, other than the AD is a deck 10 instead of 8 or 9.

My husband and I are going on our first cruise without our children (we've had cruises on Carnival) and we're incredibly excited to be booking a suite. We had oceanview on the Sensation and a balcony on the Glory, and had a wonderful time on those cruises. But to be alone . . . woo hoo!

So, we have an AE on deck 8 booked, which is an aft. The AD's look to be the same on the NCL website, but are they really? Would it really make any difference to be on deck 10 as opposed to 8? The only AE's on deck 9 still available are handicapped, and I certainly wouldn't want to keep someone who actually needed those cabins from having them.

And, if anyone has real pictures of 8630 I would love to see them. Any particular information would be fabulous. Reading all of this is part of the fun for me!

Hi, mom58! When are you cruising on the Pearl?

We're booked in AE 9670 for our cruise to Alaska on June 17th. It is my understanding that both the AE & AD penthouses are the same (about 287'), but that the AD has a larger balcony (54'-65' on the AE & about 88' on the AD).

We were in an AE on the Star last year and from what I've read they're about the same on the Pearl. Take a look at my Yahoo pictures from last year and you can see what the AE looks like. We love it!

Cabin 8630

Crib (1)

Duvet (1)

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Sprinklers (1)

Pier aft (1)

Sitting Area (1)

Tea and Coffee Maker (1)

Internet access (1)

Bar Counter (1)

Port Side (1)

Balcony Square Footage (54)

Cabin Square Footage (287)

Private Balcony (1)

Bathtub (1)

Shower (1)

Queen Size Bed (1)

CD Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Player (1)

Stereo/CD Player (1)

Aft Section (1)

Oceanview Stateroom (1)

Butler Service (1)

Concierge (1)

Dining room area (1)

Livingroom area (1)

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

I was on an AE handicapped accessible suite on the Pearl (deck 9) last week. The room was great, and in some ways better than my sister's cabin (Romance Suite on Deck 10). The negative is that the balcony is smaller on 9 than on 10 (and corner balconies are slightly bigger it appears). Balcony furniture is not as nice (plastic versus some kind of rattan looking material) - but I was able to get one lounge chair (with a pad) out there, thanks to my cabin attendant. I was unhappy with the explanation from the butler that there was no lounge chair because it was a handicapped cabin. So what? The cabin itself is extremely roomy because there is no divider, and the bathroom is very roomy too. The roll-in shower takes some getting used to in order to keep the bathroom floor dry. It is a super quiet location and even though the cabin attendant's station is outside the cabin door, they are very respectful in the morning about noise - I never heard them.

Hi All. Thanks for all the info. Brunolvr, it was my understanding that some of those aft AE's on 9 were handicapped accessible. Do you have one of those? I almost got one by mistake, and that's why we're on deck 8 instead of 9.

I don't think I want to spend the extra money just to go up 2 decks, even for a larger balcony, so I guess I'll just leave it as it is. We're going to the Caribbean next January, so I've got a long time to be excited. I'm sure the suite will be the nicest of anything we've done, so I'll be happy no matter what.:)

Hi All. Thanks for all the info. Brunolvr, it was my understanding that some of those aft AE's on 9 were handicapped accessible. Do you have one of those? I almost got one by mistake, and that's why we're on deck 8 instead of 9.

I don't think I want to spend the extra money just to go up 2 decks, even for a larger balcony, so I guess I'll just leave it as it is. We're going to the Caribbean next January, so I've got a long time to be excited. I'm sure the suite will be the nicest of anything we've done, so I'll be happy no matter what.:)

Hello again, mom58! There are 8 AE's on the Pearl with 2 of those being handicap accessible (9672 & 9172). We're in 9670 which is right above you aft on the outer port side. I'm sure your AE will be very similar to ours except for the room colors. I'll be taking a lot of pictures in June!

You'll love the VIP treatment! We were in our first AE penthouse last year on the Star and now my husband is spoiled and that's why we're booked in another AE this year.

was on the 3/16 sailing of the pearl we stayed in cabin #8630, what a wonderful room i was nice and quiet back there, huge flat screen, plenty of storage, a capuccino machine, nice sized bathroom, will try to get pictures posted as soon as i figure it how to:cool:

Hi, mom58! When are you cruising on the Pearl?

We're booked in AE 9670 for our cruise to Alaska on June 17th. It is my understanding that both the AE & AD penthouses are the same (about 287'), but that the AD has a larger balcony (54'-65' on the AE & about 88' on the AD).

We were in an AE on the Star last year and from what I've read they're about the same on the Pearl. Take a look at my Yahoo pictures from last year and you can see what the AE looks like. We love it!

Cabin 8630

Crib (1)

Duvet (1)

Refrigerator (1)

Hair Dryer (1)

Telephone (1)

Safety Deposit Box (1)

Television (1)

Sprinklers (1)

Pier aft (1)

Sitting Area (1)

Tea and Coffee Maker (1)

Internet access (1)

Bar Counter (1)

Port Side (1)

Balcony Square Footage (54)

Cabin Square Footage (287)

Private Balcony (1)

Bathtub (1)

Shower (1)

Queen Size Bed (1)

CD Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Library (1)

Digital Video Disc Player (1)

Stereo/CD Player (1)

Aft Section (1)

Oceanview Stateroom (1)

Butler Service (1)

Concierge (1)

Dining room area (1)

Livingroom area (1)

Floor to ceiling sliding glass doors (1)

Did you love your cruise on the Star ?

Deldenon, I would LOVE to see those photos! I can't help you with the technological aspects, though!

Still trying to decide if the Romance suite is worth the extra $$. Why is it called the Romance suite? Is it decorated differently or anything?

Thanks, all of you!:)

Archived