Arcadia - Aft Cabin E187

KimmyUK

Have just come back from Caribbean Holland America MV Noordam. Fantastic !! Having read the threads on P & O and the problems with the air line don't know whether I should just lose my deposit for a cruise I've booked January 2008. In June last year I returned from Barcelona (Grand Princess cruise) on a Quantas flight. If they are all owned by Carnival, why can't they use decent air craft.

Anyway, has anyone had the above cabin, and if so, can they please advise or post a picture.

Many thanks.

:) :) :) :)

Canberra 12/1994

Grand Princess 06/2006

Noordam 02/2007

Kimmy,

Never had that cabin, but I have attached a photo showing the view over the aft handrail! All the balconies are overlooked. E187 is at the top right and cut off. Remember your modesty or beware of peeping toms!!

If you go to http://www.pocruises.com/arcadia/decks.aspx and select the virtual tour for E deck, you will get a reasonable representation of the cabin.

David

Aft_Balconies.jpg.828c9ec89a0d24532df232642d4de6a4.jpg

Kimmie,

WE had Cabin E184 last year and believe me they are DEFINATELY worth going for.

I was worried about being overlooked but being on E deck you are the lowest aft cabin and to be honest, the only people who really do overlook you are those on D and C deck and they have to be sitting right by the edge of the balcony.

the people from the top stern cannot see you as you are so far down and sitting their watching the wake with nothing obscuring your view is fantastic. Remember E deck has the only aft cabins with nothing in front to obscure the view.............

I beleive E187 is one of the cabins at the end of teh row before the mini suite. You will find that this in cabin size, will be exactly he same size as the port or starboard cabins (on the side) but the balcony is certainly a lot larger.

If you can, try and go for one of the four middle cabins (i.e. like E184). It does not tell you on the website but these are actually bigger inside than the two end cabins such as E187, with extra length between the bed and lounge area - I beleive approx. 330 sq feet in total.

We had a large queen bed and then 2 additional chairs placed enxt to the bedside units BEFORE the curtains. and then the sofa, table and utility area with fridge, TV, hospitality tray etc so we made a very nice lounge area with it all..........

Our friends had a side balcony cabin on deck A and just couldn't believe the size of our cabin (longer than theirs) and the additional length of the balcony.

Anyway, I cannot endorse how wonderful Arcadia's aft cabins are but suffice to say that we are travelling on her again this year and have D184, direclty above E184. Our main criteria on booking Arcadia was to get one of these Aft cabins - that came before the Itinerary so you will understand the great experience we had.

You really never need to go and sit with the hoards on deck as you have so much of your own personal space with such a fantastic view and when you come into and go out of port, the best views possible!!!!!

We have been reliably informed that the aft cabins on D deck are in fact the largest and P&O have confirmed to me that D184 is actually 370sq ft so certainly larger than E184. Again, this is not shown on the website or in the brochure so do not go on that being accurate.

Kimmie enjoy your aft balcony - I know you will:) and I wanted to answer your question but have also given some good secrets away - damn will have to book those cabins even earlier in future.:eek:

Kind regards,

B

Hi

Thanks for that Barbarella.We have E184in january.You have convinced me it was worth upgrading.Imagine having a lie in in the morning and still being able to get a sun lounger Heaven!!!

We also have an aft on the maiden Ventura

Happy cruising

Kimmy

We had E 187 on our Christmas Panama Canal cruise. It was fantastic. here is a link to some photos:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=3248

If you put Arcadia in the search on the above site there are some other photos I took as well.

We absolutely loved this cabin, it has spoilt us for future cruises now. There is nothing better than looking at the wake of the ship from your balcony, truly mesmerising! In fact I wanted and aft balcony on the Ventura Xmas cruise but my TA was beaten to it so I wouldn't book it, bit like a spoilt child! To be honest the aft balconies on Arcadia are better than the Venturas will be as they get the sun due to the tiered design. One day we had a force 9 at sea and a lot of the public decks were closed off but we were able to use our balcony and sunbathe as it was so sheltered! we didn't really feel too much movement at the back either, just a little vibration when the ship was at full speed.

Keep this cabin, you won't regret it!!

In regards to the flights, I hope by next Jan P&O should have taken notice of all the complaints about the flights and be using better aircraft. If you get Thomsonfly or First Choice they have more legroom than Thomas Cook who tend to fly out of Gatwick and Manchester.

Any more questions feel free to ask!

Lisa

Just got back from 17 night cruise on Arcadia. We were upgraded to cabin E187. This cabin is directly over the propeller on deck 4 so it does vibrate quite a bit when the captain puts his foot down. We chose to change to a cabin in mid-ship.

That said, if you don't mind the vibration, the cabin is excellent, best view in town when you leave ports. Hope this helps.

We have noticed the same vibration in the restaurant. The faster the ship goes, the worse is the effect. It seems to appear when the ship gets above 18ish knots. Once you start to get to 24 -25 knots (Arcadia's real maximum) it does affect normal conversation.

I'm no expert, but I wonder whether it is cavitation.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Have not logged on to Cruise Critic for a while, so was pleasantly surprised to see all your replies. Thank you to each of you..............

Also, thank you Abbafan for the photographs...........it has convinced me to keep the cabin but to date I still don't know what airline we are flying with. Unfortunately, we will be flying out of Gatwick so having seen the new adverts with Thomson for extra leg room, I just hope that we are lucky enough to have that airline and not Thomas Cook. I'm only 5' 2", but my friend's husband is over 6 foot. They may decide to change to schedule, but it does seem a little mean from P & O that they won't give you a discount if you decide to fly 'solo'.

Shall keep looking at the Boards.........

Regards to you all:)

Archived