What is the weather like in New York in October

darcydoodle

Early Oct can be very cool or very warm. I am a native Nyer and there were a few times when I remember the weather here to be quite warm. I even remember when we had Indian summer when the temps got into the low 80s for a few days. So it's difficult to tell. Hubby and I went on a CTN last Oct out of NY at the end of Oct and the temps were in the low 70s. So it can go either way. Just listen to the forecast before you come and pack accordingly. :D

Just wondering if it's cold in New York in Early October. What should I wear. What should I take in my carry on. I guess flip flops and swimsuit are out of the question.:(

We cruised out of NY last Oct 29th and it was freezing on deck for the sail-away.....everyone was in parkas.......definately no swimsuits in sight. :eek:

You can usually count on a daily high of between 60 and 70 in early October. You will need a light jacket or equivalent. You won't need your bathing suit on that day but lots of people still wear nice flip flops in NY.

I'm from Brooklyn and I can tell you its freakin Cold in Oct. Don't let those occasional India Summers fool you :D Thats why I live in Sunny San Diego. :)

Fred

Probably 60s. Flip Flops will be a go, but not bathing suits. People here wear flip flops year round unless there's snow on the ground. When are you sailing? We'll be on the Miracle on 10/2

I Live In Ny And Went Out In Jan 2007 It Was 65 To 70 Out

Yeah well it was 80 here in PA about 2 days before we got a major snowstorm. lol :D

To the OP - like the others said...just check the forecast. Judging from all of the pictures I've taken of my kids over the past 7 Octobers....it's REALLY not swimsuit season.

Just wondering if it's cold in New York in Early October. What should I wear. What should I take in my carry on. I guess flip flops and swimsuit are out of the question.:(

By October of this year, B will have been a died in the wool nooyawker for 60 years. October is very variable weather wise. The day I was born in was 93 degrees, but that is unusual. October is the middle of the fall, so temperatures can vary from 45 degrees to 75 degrees. It isn't as rainy as November usually is but it could be beautiful and sunny in the morning and cloudy and rainy by noontime.

You just never know.

If you wear flip-flops and a swimsuit traipsing around Manhattan in October, you might be mistaken for a homeless person at worst or an idiot at best.

On the other hand, if you intend on spending the day in Greenwich Village, no one will notice.

Of course, EVERYONE WILL NOTICE, they simply won't say anything. Of course, if Bill Clinton walked by, everyone would notice, but no one will say anything either.

The best way to be tagged as from out of town is to shriek if some celebrity walks by. ( A relative of ours once did this, and we wanted to crawl into the nearest manhole.)

BnB

i love NY in October but more often than not I am in my leather jacket and jeans. That being said My husband will go out in shorts if it is sunny lol however he is from Brooklyn:) I would have the flip flops out but reconsider them in a heartbeat should you need to...and remember you are in Manhattan....anything goes we have naked singing cowboys:)

I'm from Brooklyn and I can tell you its freakin Cold in Oct. Don't let those occasional India Summers fool you :D Thats why I live in Sunny San Diego. :)

Fred

Hey Fred, where in Brooklyn are you from? :D This past Oct was quite nice. Actually we had nice weather until Feb....then we had the winter blast....LOL!!!!

Archived