brooklyn bridge

sunsetme

can you walk to the bridge from the marriott brooklyn bridge?

yes you walk out of the lobby make a right and you will see it. Its not too far but really be careful at the corner near the bridge(tillary street) a pedestrian was killed there on Friday....(the Pedestrian was crossing against the light--they have it on tape from the Building next door)

yes you walk out of the lobby make a right and you will see it. Its not too far but really be careful at the corner near the bridge(tillary street) a pedestrian was killed there on Friday....(the Pedestrian was crossing against the light--they have it on tape from the Building next door)

What else is in the area that's safe for a family?

What else is in the area that's safe for a family?

except for walking East down Fulton street its a relatively safe area. You are in the 84th precinct one of the safest in the city...The walking areas are the Montague street Brooklyn Heights area which has many family restaurants....The Heights Cafe and Theresa's are both good for families. These are west of the Hotel down Montague Street, The Plymouth Church on Pineapple street also in the heights is historic as Lincoln went to Church there as its Henry Ward Beecher's Church(Harriet Beecher's Stowe's Brother), they also have a piece of Plymouth Rock(the official name of the Church is Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims) at the end of Montague street further west after the Restaurants is the Brooklyn Heights Promenade---a world class view of Manhattan, the Statute of Liberty and the NY Harbor.

South From the Hotel and slightly east is Smith Street and its Restaurants and funky shop. The best restaurants are the Grocery and Patois(in my opinion) more family orientated is Gravy, Pacifico and Mamma Rosas(these are owned by the same people---cash only at Gravy). Good for any meal but its food not dining if you know what I mean.

There are many more but this is enough...

What kind of food do you like? You can get anything in the area from Indian to Chinese to Vietnamese to Thai to Fusion to Japanese to Arab(mostly west on Atlantic)

Oh of course I left off Juniors which is in fact East on Fulton Street(I don't like the food but it has excellent cheese cake for really outstanding pastries I prefer Downtown Atlantic)...

There are other restaurants farther afield new the cruise terminal that are good Family style and inexpensive is Hope and Anchor with Karaoke Friday and Saturday night with a drag queen running it and 360 Van Brundt which is excellent and reasonable.

North as you know is the River Cafe(most expensive in the area) and Pete's Downtown(on the same street as Pete's Downtown is Jacques Torres chocolatier to die for).

Also worthy or Mention east on Atlantic Avenue are Stan's Place, Jolie and Downtown Atlantic.

that should be enough...

any one for revolutionary war history? let me know I'll answer that too(the Battle of Brooklyn was fought in this area)

Thanks for your quick reply and good information. We'll be staying at the BB Marriott on July 4th and are hoping to see the fireworks. We are a family of 2 grandparents, Mom & Dad and 2 children ages 7 and 10.

We'll be loooking for dinner and will check out your suggestions.

Also, if we wanted to go into Manhatten during the day how convenient, and safe, is public transportation?

Also, we're from Valley Forge and are interested in revolutionary war history. Sorry to say I'm not familiar with the battle of Brooklyn.

Thanks again for your help.

Public transportation is extremely safe. An all day pass is available for $7.00 per person for unlimited use. You are on top of the Jay Street-Boro Hall Subway(IND A and C trains) stop to midtown 34th and 6th or eight th avenue its less than 20 minutes. You are also accross the street from 3 more subway lines(east and west side IRT and the BMT lines)... Late at night after 11 I would take a cab home.

The Battle of Brooklyn and Brooklyn Heights was a defeat for Washington and caused him to abandon NY City. In fort Greene park there is a monument to the martyrs of the revolution who died on prison ships in Wallabout Bay(the current site of former Brooklyn Navy Yard). The bones of the thousands who died on the ships are in the Monument. In Brooklyn Boro hall accross the small park from the hotel is a visitors center that will have maps and more info...Its the five or so story building with a big American Flag...

Archived