Is there an iron in the cabin or should I bring my own travel iron?

CruisinMed

Irons provided in the laundry facilities......there was talk that now they will give you one in the cabin to use and they'll take it right back when you're done......don't know if this is true.

If not and only available in the laundry....DO NOT wait to do it before your formal.....if you don't know where the laundry is.....just check the cooridor at about 4:30.....if you see a bunch of people standing around waiting.....:D

It's my first time to be on a cruise....(Carnival)..
Irons are a no-no...........Not allowed. Fire hazzard....

They do have laundry rooms with irons or you can send items for pressing.......

There was a thread put on here about two days ago on the same subject...Someone supplied pics of the laundry room.....;)

I smuggled a small travel iron I got for 7 bucks at WalGreens and we never once needed to use it! Don't know how we got away with that! I do remember a couple of times putting our clothes in the bathroom while we showered to release some wrinkles.

Hmm. Just curious, Amber, why you would do that, knowing the iron isn't allowed?

CrusinMed - Read your "Welcome Aboard" booklet that comes w/your docs. Twice, it says what items are NOT allowed in cabins. Have a happy and SAFE cruise.:)

I smuggled a small travel iron I got for 7 bucks at WalGreens and we never once needed to use it! Don't know how we got away with that! I do remember a couple of times putting our clothes in the bathroom while we showered to release some wrinkles.

The bathroom does work wonders. ;)

Hmm. Just curious, Amber, why you would do that, knowing the iron isn't allowed?

Well, I actually didn't realize I smuggled it until after I got home or on board (I can't remember) and realized they weren't allowed. I just used the word "smuggled" loosely because it was brought on board when it's not allowed. When we went to get my boyfriend's tux, the guy fitting him had been on a cruise and told us a travel iron was a MUST for a cruise.

When I said "Don't know how we got away with that," I was talking about not using the iron, not getting it on the ship.

Which, it was in it's brand new box on the top of my bags, I guess they just didn't notice it. It stayed in my bag all week long.

Not that I don't bring things that aren't allowed, I do bring alcohol on board. There are worse things to sneak on board than a travel iron, though. You make me feel like I just offered pot to an 8 year old or something.

As everyone has said, travel irons are not allowed. But so you know, the cabin has a few closets for you to hang clothes in. If you have clothes drycleaned, leave them in the bags. This helps stop wrinkling. One tip I had taken from somone here on the boards was to bring some extra wire hangers incase I didn't have enough and then just leave them when you disembark.

Pam

Bring your own. They're not allowed, but they won't stop you if you pack it in your checked bag - in fact, they'll never know. And if they don't take it from you, that implies a tacit approval. Having to schlep all the way to the laundry room to use an iron is a PITA, no reason you shouldn't be entitled to the convenience of an in-room iron.

Bring your own. They're not allowed, but they won't stop you if you pack it in your checked bag - in fact, they'll never know. And if they don't take it from you, that implies a tacit approval. Having to schlep all the way to the laundry room to use an iron is a PITA, no reason you shouldn't be entitled to the convenience of an in-room iron.

Umm...yeah. And if you forget to turn it off when you go to dinner and start a massive fire that forces the other 2000 passengers to jump in the lifeboats, it's their fault for booking on the same ship as you.:rolleyes:

Umm...yeah. And if you forget to turn it off when you go to dinner and start a massive fire that forces the other 2000 passengers to jump in the lifeboats, it's their fault for booking on the same ship as you.:rolleyes:
I think ParrotRob was being tounge in cheek on his post....;)

I think ParrotRob was being tounge in cheek on his post....;)

Was there any doubt? ;) If you pack correctly, there will be little or no need for an iron of any sort. What few wrinkles you get can be taken care of with steam in the bathroom, a travel steamer, Downey Wrinkle Release or a quick press in the laundry room.

Isn't it amazing. You can't have a travel iron but you can smoke. Now that makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes: After all, we hear of fires being started by travel irons all the time. Cigarettes never cause fires. Think about it.

Isn't it amazing. You can't have a travel iron but you can smoke. Now that makes a lot of sense.:rolleyes: After all, we hear of fires being started by travel irons all the time. Cigarettes never cause fires. Think about it.

Well Said !:rolleyes:

I could have swore the "OP" asked about an iron....and nothing was said about cigarettes........

never fails.......:rolleyes:

I could have swore the "OP" asked about an iron....and nothing was said about cigarettes........

never fails.......:rolleyes:

You are right, but I think you missed the point. It's hypocritical to say you can't have a travel iron because it is a "fire hazard" when you allow things that have been proven to be a greater fire hazard. The comment was not an anti-cigarette comment, but rather a comment on the insanity of the rule if you are going to allow people to smoke.

It like saying the speed limit is 70 as long as you are going under 100, but anything over 100 is ok. It doesn't make logical sense.

You are right, but I think you missed the point. It's hypocritical to say you can't have a travel iron because it is a "fire hazard" when you allow things that have been proven to be a greater fire hazard. The comment was not an anti-cigarette comment, but rather a comment on the insanity of the rule if you are going to allow people to smoke.

It like saying the speed limit is 70 as long as you are going under 100, but anything over 100 is ok. It doesn't make logical sense.

No..I did not miss the point.....

Smoking is legal on the ship....irons are not....or candles....or insense(SP).....and other things.

It is illegal to speed....it is illegal to bring an iron on a ship....

It is not illegal to bring smokes onboard......

I for one obey the the rules.......;)

It's wonderful to know that you obey the rules. I think that's great. You deserve a ribbon.

The comments I made were not about anyone, they were about the rule. THE RULE IS INSANE.

By the way, the comment about speeding was an analogy. But it is wonderful to know that you've never broken the speed limit since you obey the rules.:) Have a nice day.

Welcome aboard! I see you've only posted 3 times and I know several posters are very snarky in their responses, this wasn't caused by you, but those several posters feel entitled to make rude comments because it is a hot issue (no pun intended) on this board. I truly hope you will ignore those people because there are twice as many who will answer your question in the manner it was asked......honestly. Some people forget they were new once too..........

I believe your question was answered in the second post, so I will just add that for me, Downey wrinkle releaser works very well. I hope you enjoy your first cruise.

Welcome aboard! I see you've only posted 3 times and I know several posters are very snarky in their responses, this wasn't caused by you, but those several posters feel entitled to make rude comments because it is a hot issue (no pun intended) on this board. I truly hope you will ignore those people because there are twice as many who will answer your question in the manner it was asked......honestly. Some people forget they were new once too..........

I believe your question was answered in the second post, so I will just add that for me, Downey wrinkle releaser works very well. I hope you enjoy your first cruise.

It is wonderful that the question posed concerning the usage of an iron can be answered honestly. :) But, I think the answer to the question is based on the "rule". So open discussion concerning the "rule" as it is related to the question and answer should be permissible.

As I read through the different responses, it seems as there were quite a few different comments on this subject since it was brought up by the OP. Discussion concerning the rule and how it does not make sense is not rude because it is not aimed at any poster. :)

However, when you make comments that are aimed directly at those who are discussing the issue ......

Having cruised numerous times, I understand the rules and abide by them. But this particular one does not make sense. :)

BTW, in the CC forums that I have read, there always seems to be an evolving of the topic. Where it may start one place, it does lead to others as different things are mentioned and then discussed. If it is the simple answer of one question that is acceptable, then there would probably not be the need of any more than one or two responses to any thread. Just for your consideration. :)

True, but I'd rather sit next to a person in rumpled clothing than a grumpy smoker who's been denied nicotine for 7 days! :eek:

Archived