What's for dinner? The good, the bad & the ugly!

cruiselubbers

Well guys the way I see it we have plenty of threads here concerning alcohol & ways to smuggle it. How to drink it, where to drink it & what it comes in. But I am interested in seeing what was your favorite meal was while you were on the ship? Which ship were you on? Where was it served? Also the nastiest tasting food that you'd definitly stay away from what was it? Or worse yet the worst thing you seen somebody eat?!

Be blessed, be a blessing! Counting down the days till Inspiration! :p

I wouldn't touch snails even if you paid me :confused: The shell alone would be too crunchy

Fred

Oh my gosh! How NASTYYYYYYYYY!

I thought I had read that somewhere...but they really do?!? YUCK!!

I have PET snails!! Man I'd never eat my own kind! I'm not a cannibal!

Thanks for the REAL warning that they really do serve them!

Be blessed, be a blessing! :p

The escargot (snails) I've had twice on cruises on Carnival. The first time on Carnival was also the first time I've ever tried them. They were delicious! Of course, I suppose you could make carpet taste good if you drowned it in enough garlic and butter! :D They aren't served in the shell, its just the inside swimming in gallons and gallons of garlic butter.

The lobster tail was terrific last Thursday night. I wish I had ordered more than one. The other diners at my table were "experienced cruisers" and I apparently wasn't paying attention when ALL 6 people ordered 3 tails each!! :)

DH & I could eat escargot every night if they would serve it and we both feel Carnival's ``snails'' are more tasty that the other cruiselines we've been on. They use less butter and just the right amount of garlic.

Enjoyed all of the beef tenderloin dishes we had on the Valor except the Beef Wellington. However the Beef Wellington on the Legend was among the best we've had ever.

Carnival does a terrific job on pastries. I can't resist eating 2 or even 3 Danish pastries in the morning.:eek: Yet I've never been impressed with Carnival's bread rolls. Most seen too doughy to me.

Dessert offerings we had on both Valor and Legend seemed weak to us in comparison to those we've had on X, NCL and Princess. And while most people seem to drool over the chocolate melting cake, I need at least 3 or 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream with it to cut the richness. I will order it once on a cruise and then wonder why I did.

Deli on Valor and Legend: I'm tasting another great reuben sandwich right now as I type. Love their reubens and can't wait to get another slice of Carnival's pizza the end of this month. Doesn't matter which variety of pizza, I love them all.

Dianne

And while most people seem to drool over the chocolate melting cake, I need at least 3 or 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream with it to cut the richness.

Dianne

I agree 100% with you there, I had one on the Spirit to last me 1 whole year, thats how rich is was for me, Im not a Sugar and love diet soda so as you can see that was a Suger Overload for me.

I know this isn't that special to most but you need to try the Grilled Tuna on White with extra mayo !!! Its the best.

Fred

I agree 100% with you there, I had one on the Spirit to last me 1 whole year, thats how rich is was for me, Im not a Sugar and love diet soda so as you can see that was a Suger Overload for me.

I know this isn't that special to most but you need to try the Grilled Tuna on White with extra mayo !!! Its the best.

Fred

Hey Fred....I'll take you up on that order! I love fish!

Anyone know if there was any good salmon on board? :D

One of my favorite items is the smoked salmon on a bagel from the deli. I've had it on the Elation, the Triumph, and the Miracle. I'll usually have one a day, usually before lunch around 11am. Love the deli!

Love Carnival's smoked salmon too but I prefer it served on pumpernickel or black bread with slices of tomato and onion with a dash of capers.

DH normally goes for the pastrami out of the deli.

We both feel the deli's offerings on the Valor far over shadowed the famed fish & chips area.

Dianne

Thin sliced Smoked salmon, :D always for breakfest and sometime at dinner with onions when they serve it. The escargot in wine and garlic butter :D :D even the chicken livers once in awhile

Beef Wellington got to be in the mood for, the brits know how to make this , sometime its just a tad strong.

penguin_waiter_with_tray_sm_wht.gif.daa74f9928011aac8c99f17ceb965be9.gif

Carnival does a terrific job on pastries. I can't resist eating 2 or even 3 Danish pastries in the morning.:eek: Yet I've never been impressed with Carnival's bread rolls. Most seen too doughy to me.

Dianne

This is interesting because I do not like their pastries at all. They are all made with the same flaky sort of dough that I really don't like.

Everytime I fill out one of those post cruise evaulation thingys I always write in that I would really like some breakfast type rolls made with yeast.

But I agree on their bread rolls...not worth eating....a bit too supermarket tasting.

Room Service: shrimp salad sandwich, fresh veggies with blue cheese dip and brownies & cookies--YUMMY

Dining Room--I actually liked the escargot, lobster, jerk pork loin, all shrimp dishes, all salads, tiramisu, some pastry that has chocolate and chestnut mousse in it. BAD-one of the desserts came with an "herbal ice cream" that tasted like chilled Bath & Body Works lotion. BAD BAD BAD.

Buffet: german potato salad, cheese danish.

Lido stations: Caesar salads, chili dogs & fries, ruebens, soft serve

Or worse yet the worst thing you seen somebody eat?!

Okay....I wasn't going to share this but since you asked........

We just returned from our first cruise. My 11yo son ordered his best friend an order of escargot for a starter. His friend psyched himself up to try it so I went over to take a picture of the boys eating the snails but just as I grabbed the camera to snap the picture he put the snail into his mouth and then vomitted it right back up all over the table. YUCK! The parents were totally grossed out but the boys seemed amused.

Wow ... everything I had on the Holiday was pretty darned good. The only thing I could complain about was the Rainbow Trout .. but only because it was a little to 'fishy' tasting for me. On the other hand, the grouper was great.

Now one person at our table ordered (from the Starter menu) what appeared to be 3 small octopi (?) on a plate ... YUCK! Wouldn't have touched it unless I were dying of starvation, but it was probably delicious.

I also have to give an honorable mention to a chicken salad that was on the buffet ... had pineapple chunks in it. Way too much mayonnaise for me, but it was still great!

- Bama

I like the Tom Turkey!! :) I've also enjoyed their jerk pork. The beef dishes are hit and miss for me.

They had some new ice cream or sherbert thing that was purple and tasted like flowers. It actually was made from a flower, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Don't order it. bleck.

This is interesting because I do not like their pastries at all. They are all made with the same flaky sort of dough that I really don't like.

Everytime I fill out one of those post cruise evaulation thingys I always write in that I would really like some breakfast type rolls made with yeast.

But I agree on their bread rolls...not worth eating....a bit too supermarket tasting.

To each his own. We enjoy Carnival's morning pastries because they have a very flaky crust and know how hard it is to achieve it when baking for a mass market. Also enjoy the fact that you can actually see, as well as taste, the filling inside, unlike those we've had on X and Princess.

NCL has great bread rolls. We eat more than our fair share on NCL ships, but I can honestly say I can pass the bread rolls up on Carnival.

Dianne

On the Spirit (1-26-07/2-3-07) I enjoyed the rabbit, the duck(both starter and main course) the quail and everything in the supper club. did not care for the beef wellington or the lobster(look where I'm from). There was a dessert that I did not care for but will not mention the name because I"m tired of being flamed for not liking it.

They had some new ice cream or sherbert thing that was purple and tasted like flowers. It actually was made from a flower, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. Don't order it. bleck.

Lavender ice cream maybe? It was kind of trendy in nice restaurants around here a couple of years ago. Not my favorite flavor for ice cream, but I've also had lavender lemonade, which I do like.

Archived