What's for dinner? The good, the bad & the ugly!

cruiselubbers

Please explain that to me...my DD is the same way. One Christmas I bought her a Corelle partitioned plate as a joke, and it was her favorite gift!

That one's easy! It plain old doesn't taste good! LOL Mashed potatoes that have been sitting in jello taste horrible. LOL A soggy dinner roll is disgusting. :p

First of all: T-Rex, the other white meat!

I love the escargo, I order 2 when they have it! I have had it at other restaurants and hated it so was glad I tried it again on Carnival. I love to try unusual foods. Especially when I can order something else if I don't like it! I would be all over the octopus, rabbit, quail, gibbon or water buffalo. I don't care for calamari which is probably a lot like Octopus but I don't hate it. I don't think anything makes me "sqeamish"...at least not anything I'd find on the cruise menu!

I've been on the Sensation-pre-Katrina and the Holiday last year. There was nothing I "hated" but there were certainly things I liked better than others! I loved breakfast, everything was great. And, even though we went out of New Orleans and Mobile so I shouldn't have worried...I'm just always thankful whenever I go anywhere and there are grits on the menu!

I wouldn't touch snails even if you paid me :confused: The shell alone would be too crunchy

Fred

Too funny. Escargot is my hubby's favorite. He was thrilled that they were on the menu at the supper club then again on the dining room menu the next night!!!! I've never tried them nor do I want too. LOL

Hey Fred....I'll take you up on that order! I love fish!

Anyone know if there was any good salmon on board? :D

ON the Spirit (Apr 07), grilled salmon is offered as an alternate entree each night. I had it one night and it was very good.

We both liked the lobster dinner, it was really good. However the lobster dinner in the supper club was FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Some of my favorites: Beef Wellington, Filet Mignon, lobster, salmon.

Favorite on Lido Deck: The deli roast beef sandwich from the grill. Had it almost daily.

Dessert: It was truly hit and miss. We found that they just look better than they taste (but we have found that on most cruise lines). The birthday cake you purchase (chocolate/chocolate) was wonderful and rich/gooey. The chocolate melting cake was really good.

We were given chocolate covered strawberries as a gift. They were so good we had to go buy more during the week (5 for $3.75). They sold out by the 2nd to the last day.

Yep, I think I'll add cold soups to my list now of pb&j to the room, salmon, hubby's chocolate/choclate bday cake, pasta & pizza.

I'll stay away from anything purple or lavendar!

Any more suggestions? My taste buds wanna know! They only have a few more days to wait! YEPPIE!

Be blessed, be a blessing! :p

Well guys the way I see it we have plenty of threads here concerning alcohol & ways to smuggle it. How to drink it, where to drink it & what it comes in. But I am interested in seeing what was your favorite meal was while you were on the ship? Which ship were you on? Where was it served? Also the nastiest tasting food that you'd definitly stay away from what was it? Or worse yet the worst thing you seen somebody eat?!

Be blessed, be a blessing! Counting down the days till Inspiration! :p

My fave for sure was the lamb, and of course followed by the melting cake..

i dont recall anything nasty!!!....but ahh the lamb

The bitter and blanc dessert was my favorite!!! Dark and white chocolate bread pudding!!! Haven't had anything like that before!! Can't wait to try it again!

Agree with everyone on the rolls too.. blah. The ceaser salad I also didn't care for... it was room temp. when I got it and was pretty wilty and not crisp. I like my salads cold and crispy!

For starters every night I got the Tiger Shrimp cocktail!! YUM!! Perfect amount too!

My husband tried the escargot and LOVED it!! yuuuuckkk! No thank you!

I love to try unusual foods. Especially when I can order something else if I don't like it! I would be all over the octopus, rabbit, quail, gibbon or water buffalo. I don't care for calamari which is probably a lot like Octopus but I don't hate it. I don't think anything makes me "sqeamish"...at least not anything I'd find on the cruise menu!

Have you tried alligator? Had it in Florida...yum!!!! Also tried beef brain at an Armenian engagement party...it tasted fine, but I couldn't get past how it looked...:o. I'd have to eat it blindfolded. My philosophy: I'll try anything once (at least anything that people have eaten before)...:)

I am so looking forward to the FOOD on Fantasy....

The beef wellington is the only dish I've ever had to send back and get something else - it was awful!

I've never seen a dish or display on the gala midnight buffet that looked appetizing. Interesting, but not appetizing.

I don't know why they cannot make crisp bacon for the lido buffet.

Warning: steer clear of the baked eggs in the dining room. Several of us tried them on the Paradise and it was unanimous, terrible. Rubbery on top, uncooked on the bottom. And the came with a gross eggplant sandwich wedge. Thank goodness I ordered french toast to go with them. I will skip the dining room in the future. It takes too long to get served.

I like escargot but haven't been able to touch 'em since a little touch of noro on the Pride in '03. Let's just say that the second time around they looked like little chunks of rubber. LOL.

Lamb is always top notch. Beef generally good. Almost all soups especially the roasted pumpkin and the chilled ones. Love the chevre pizza. Lobster on Carnival is nothing special but still good. Most deserts and pastries really don't excite me on any cruise ship. Pride in '06 had tasty sushi.

I am also wondering about turkey burgers, turkey bacon etc. My daughter is 23 and also doesn't eat any saturated fats. Can't wait to eat the brie and roast beef sand, i don't usually eat sandwiches but this is like the 10th post about that sand:)) We are sailing the Valor in Aug, but I am a tad worried about all the pizza hype. We are from NY and nobody makes pizza like us ( sorry New Haven:)) and my husband is the pickiest about both bagels and pizza so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Can't wait to eat now lol

My fave for sure was the lamb, and of course followed by the melting cake..

i dont recall anything nasty!!!....but ahh the lamb

I'm with you on the lamb chops. I'll add the Caribbean Lobster as a favorite too.

The bad - no ship I have been on does justice to steak. It's below Outback quality. Breakfast is not good. RCCL has great breakfasts. Carnival could learn from them.

Also very good was the duck. They should serve it on a different night from the lobster. My wife and I shared it as a side. Indian food was surprisingly good too.

We are from NY and nobody makes pizza like us ( sorry New Haven:)) and my husband is the pickiest about both bagels and pizza so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Can't wait to eat now lol

Being from the NY area as well (the burbs), I wouldn't worry too much about pizza on the ship. My philosophy is this; the best pizza in the world can be found in NY and Chicago. If you come from one of those areas, why bother worrying about pizza on vacation when there are so many other exotic or regional things to try?

And to reiterate, sorry New Haven... You didn't honestly think we'd let you get away with that one, did you? ;)

BTW, FWIW I am a former pizza maker.

Along those lines...last cruise we sat with cruise buddies at dinner. One of our friends has, in the line of work, travelled for years to exotic places. We had been talking about great cruise food, and I happened to ask him what was the most exotic food he'd tried in all of his travels. Without a second thought he said, "monkey brains." I struggled to not lose the dinner I had already eaten, and learned to be careful of what I ask:)

Is it just me, or are the steaks as tough to eat as they seem ? Even the filet mignon seems tough and real chewey ?

I agree. I keep ordering it, hoping it will be nice and tender. NOT!!! The terayaki beef was superb, though.

Also enjoyed the tilapia, shrimp and salmon, and I'm not a fish eater. Lobster was okay, nothing to rave about. Love the chilled soups. Pork chops too thick.

They can keep the warm chocolate melting cake, seemed like just brownie mix with a little bit of liquid.

Escargot fabulous!

Breakfast buffet is typical breakfast buffet - cereal, yogurt, pastries, bacon and sausage too greasy. Nobody makes a good omelet like Christine did on the Destiny last year, though.

Burgers from the grill were okay, nothing to write home about.

I loved the lobster and the Reuben sandwiches on the Valor but most of all I loved the fish n' chips!!!!!!

The dish I thought was terrible was the lobster bisque they served one night. Me being a lobster lover thought I would like it but OMG it tasted awful and was the color of....well I can't even describe that without grossing out!!

How is the Key Lime Pie?

MY favorite dessert :)

I don't wish to brag, but I make the BEST in the world Key Lime Cheescake.

Key Lime Cheesecake

3 cups graham cracker crumbs

2/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup butter, melted

Filling

1 cup fresh lime juice

1/4 cup water

2 envelopes unflavored gelatin

2-1/2 cups sugar

5 eggs, slightly beaten

2 teaspoons grated lime rind

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature

2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, at room temperature

1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled

1 tsp vanilla

Whip one cup of heavy cream for the top layer.

Prepare crust:

Stir crumbs, sugar and melted butter in a medium-size bowl. Press over bottom and up sides of a 9-inch springform pan.

Prepare filling:

Combine lime juice and water in a small saucepan; sprinkle gelatin over top. Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Stir sugar, eggs and lime rind into pan. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until almost boiling, about 7 minutes or until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F.; do not boil. Remove from heat.

Beat butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until well mixed, about 1 minute. Gradually beat in lime mixture until well blended. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens enough to mound slightly when dropped from a spoon, about 45 minutes.

Beat chilled cream and vanilla ( I use Kalua) in a small chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into lime mixture. Pour into prepared crust. Cover; refrigerate until firm, 3 to 4 hours.

Run a thin knife around inside of pan to loosen sides; remove sides of pan. Whip one cup of whipping cream with powdered sugar and a little vanilla as sweet as you like it. Put it over the top of the chilled pie and serve. I like to really pile it high, so you can even whip more if you like .Garnish with lime slices if desired. Store in refrigerator.

I had this on the Victory last May...can't remember what it was but it wasn't very good. My favorite thing was the chilled strawberry soup. After a day in the sun, my daughter and I would share a pb&j from room service with a glass of skim milk. I know its only pb&j but it was super good.

Is room service free?

Archived