What's for dinner? The good, the bad & the ugly!

cruiselubbers

The most disgusting thing I have had (I didn't eat it!) was on our last cruise I ordered the ravioli at lunchtime. It was greyish brown in color. I put it on my fork and the smell was just too much. I don't know WHAT it was but I couldn't eat it. I felt bad about asking them to take it back and bring me a cheeseburger, BUT......I couldn't eat it. Ugh!

I've had many many good things that I can't narrow it down to just one. Oh, I do have to say that the Thanksgiving dinner that they served (we were sailing over T'giving) was not very good. Ugh!

You know what you cannot get on the ship? A chicken salad sandwich. You can get tuna salad....but no chicken salad! I wish you could.

Do they make their own tuna salad? Or is it pre-packaged? I would think that if they made their own they could make chicken salad, too. But.....oh well, there are so many other good things to eat!

I am also wondering about turkey burgers, turkey bacon etc. My daughter is 23 and also doesn't eat any saturated fats. Can't wait to eat the brie and roast beef sand, i don't usually eat sandwiches but this is like the 10th post about that sand:)) We are sailing the Valor in Aug, but I am a tad worried about all the pizza hype. We are from NY and nobody makes pizza like us ( sorry New Haven:)) and my husband is the pickiest about both bagels and pizza so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Can't wait to eat now lol

Don't get your hopes up bagel-wise. We are from Jersey and are spoiled with all the bagel bakeries in our area. I have only had half-stale hockey pucks on any cruise I have taken. These MUST be toasted to give them any flavor at all. Picture the frozen Lenders-style bagels and you will have some idea.

As far as pizza, it is more of a California style: decent crust and imaginative toppings. While it will not stand up against a true NY pie, it is very tasty and the best I have had on any cruise -- rivaling any I have had outside of the NY metro area.

The best meals I had on the Pride were the pasta dishes. Each one was delicious. I dont remember any names, but they were all good!

The last night they had a chicken dish and a mushroom chicken pasta. Id have to say both were delicious. I got the Chicken, Fiance got the pasta..

I was feeling ill the night of the escargot, and event hough I wanted to try it I couldnt. My parents had it, and both enjoyed it.( And they have had very good escargot before!) It smelled very good.

I was surprised at how Tasty the pumpkin soup was. But I was disappointed with the Lobster Bisque.

The Lobster was ok. It was a little rubbery, but bigger than I expected, and still good overall.

Room Service made a killer BLT, and chocolate cake. Mmmmm.

The best part however, was the Melting Cake. I didnt even care about dinner some nights, because I wanted 2 desserts. Lol. I enjoyed the Hazelnut Creme Brulee and the melting cake one night. And the Key Lime Pie and melting cake another night. Every other night I stuck to just the melting cake..But I would have had a melting cake for every course if I wanted to go into sugar shock. My brother, however, indulged on double melting cakes every night after the first night. They are very sweet, but both my brother and I love uncooked brownie mix and brownies that are undercooked, and thats what the melting cake reminded me of. So delicious. Im ready to book another cruise just for that!

To Answer your question about the Key Lime pie..

Its one of my favorite desserts too! nobody in my group liked it. I loved it.

They arent huge key lime fans to begin with, which was ok by me, because I didnt mind eating it at all. I wish they offered it more than the one night though!

I'll second the notion about the teriyaki short ribs looking good!

I love the lines that offer shrimp cocktail every night. I always tell our server the first night that I will have one every night. On the Summit, on the last night, our server brought out a salad plate FILLED with shrimp and cocktail sauce on the side. Everyone got a laugh out of that. I enjoyed every last one.

To Answer your question about the Key Lime pie..

Its one of my favorite desserts too! nobody in my group liked it. I loved it.

They arent huge key lime fans to begin with, which was ok by me, because I didnt mind eating it at all. I wish they offered it more than the one night though!

Don't get your hopes up bagel-wise. We are from Jersey and are spoiled with all the bagel bakeries in our area. I have only had half-stale hockey pucks on any cruise I have taken. These MUST be toasted to give them any flavor at all. Picture the frozen Lenders-style bagels and you will have some idea.

As far as pizza, it is more of a California style: decent crust and imaginative toppings. While it will not stand up against a true NY pie, it is very tasty and the best I have had on any cruise -- rivaling any I have had outside of the NY metro area.

Yeah, they're not REAL bagels, not from NY METRO..they are more like Lender's clones. There isn't enough "chew" in them. As always it's the water they are made with, and the dough recipe (which is of course EVERYTHING in a bagel!) If you toast them (you must otherwise it is like eating a WonderBread bagel, ugh) they are passable. We basically skipped them and just ate the smoked salmon and other breakfast fish naked. (Well the fish were naked, we weren't because we were in the dining room which is the only place you can get smoked fish at breakfast - NCL serves this on the buffet, maybe CC should follow suit.)

BnB

One more thought, grilled cheese? Just a piece of cheese? That is WILD!! I would have NEVER thought that one! I was thinking bread & cheese!

Just imagine the guy preparing it! Oh, these crazy Americans! What will they think of next! Grill a piece of cheese! #@$%!

On Princess line I ordered a fish dish that had some sauce poured all over it and tasted like dirt. Asked for steak instead. It was rubber! When I told the waiter it was tough, he brought me a sharper knife!!!

On Miracle early December last year I'd get some appetizer and the waiter would put some minuscule item on the huge plate and walk away. I felt like I was on Candid Camera. My son and I were looking around when the waiter returned with the REST of the dish! That happened several times. They were gorgeous presentations...we learned to be patient until the whole dish was served but I swear, he was gone so long to get the rest I thought well, that's tiny!!

Those little octopus things were exactly what came to mind when I saw this thread! I am pretty adventurous and always try at least one new thing every cruise. If I don't like it, I ask for something else. At lunch the dining room one day I ordered the antipasto starter. Even the waitress looked at me like I was crazy! Anyway, she brought it out and I cut a couple of legs off that little sucker and put them in my mouth. Absolutely the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted! I am warning everyone on this board to proceed with the octopus with EXTREME caution. I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy! LOL Oh, BTW the lobster, escargot, and the chateubriand are my FAVORITES!

I was thinking the same thing. I knew that somebody else was going to say this. Ours was served on the Holiday during a lunch buffet. Those things were NASTY!!! My husband couldn't believe that I even put them on my plate let alone actually put them in my mouth. They were so chewy and the taste was disgusting. Needless to say they ended up in the garbage. I'm still not sure what they were though. It looked like a minature octopus. This is one of those things you just never forget.

Well guys the way I see it we have plenty of threads here concerning alcohol & ways to smuggle it. How to drink it, where to drink it & what it comes in. But I am interested in seeing what was your favorite meal was while you were on the ship? Which ship were you on? Where was it served? Also the nastiest tasting food that you'd definitly stay away from what was it? Or worse yet the worst thing you seen somebody eat?!

Be blessed, be a blessing! Counting down the days till Inspiration! :p

Believe it or not...this is not the first time this thread has been done......There was a very long one about the week before this thread was started....but......

I'll go with the Roasted West Indian Pumpkin Soup as a "MUST" have......;)

I am definitely NOT a picky eater, and learned from my dad to always try new things. I have really enjoyed the escargot (love that garlic) and the Tiger Shrimp cocktail. Can't remember ever having cruise food that I absolutely hated, and I love the fact that you can order multiple entrees. It was a big adventure trying caviar for the first time on Sensation -- an acquired taste, but I'd try it again. I can't wait to try Hong Kong Noodle and the Deli on Triumph in October for lunches. I've also heard that there is a Mexican midnight buffet one night.

Archived