OK- How do I tip? At every meal or at the end the the crusie??

I know this question has been on here several times but I just need one

simple answer- My hubby and I are new to this crusing thing and I don't want to be embarassed. What would you suggest? I tip based on service-

Do we bring cash to the dining room every night or do I hand in my seapass? Do I specify what comes off the card or do they jusy go by the basic rate?

Please explain in the most simplest terms!!

Thanks in advance!

If you choose to put the tips on your seapass account there is a deadline and it will be noted in the Compass. If you choose to prepay then it is a fixed amount and you will be given vouchers and envelopes to hand out the last night. You may add additional cash to any envelopes you choose to.

Simple answer-you get the envelope on the last night and it explains suggested amounts. However, we pre-tip on the RCI website and then add extra at the end if warranted. If you use room-service, you tip as you use it. Drinks have an automatic 15% added to your Seapass.

Enchantment-July 2005

Explored-May 2007

Bar drinks already have a 15% tip added, but there is a line on the SeaPass charge slip that allows you to add more if you'd like. A tip is included in the fee for the specialty restaurants, but again, the SeaPass charge slip has a line where you can add more.

If you want to put your tips on your SeaPass (for your cabin attendant and dining room staff), you have to fill out a form and turn it in to Guest Relations before the stated deadline; you will receive vouchers in your room. You can only have the "suggested" tip amount done this way.

The suggested guidelines for dining room staff are $3.50/guest/day for the waiter, $2.00 for the assistant waiter, and $.75 for the headwaiter. That's a total of $6.25 to cover all three meals -- so if you assume a tipping rate of 15%, that assumes a total meal charge for the day of about $42. A different staff is involved in room service delivery, so the consensus on these boards seems to be that the delivery person should be tipped at the time of service in cash (just like the pizza delivery guy! :) )

On the last full day of the cruise, you will receive tip envelopes in your room for your cabin attendant and your three dining room personnel. If you have vouchers, they can be placed in the envelopes. I have added cash to the envelopes of people who have done an exceptional job.

I suppose you could leave cash tips in the dining room each time you eat, but this system makes it a whole lot easier. There is not, to my knowledge, a way to tip on a nightly basis using your SeaPass. In fact, the only times I ever needed my SeaPass in the dining room were the first night (when they want to see it, and then show you to your table) and when we ordered alcoholic beverages at the dinner table.

The most simple way to explain is that you can pay with cash or vouchers or both. Either way it comes to about $10 a day per person. If you wish to put your tips on your SeaPass, you will have to fill out a form and in turn you will be given envelopes with vouchers to put in the envelopes.

If you wish to tip in cash, then you will still get the envelopes and your docs will give you suggested amounts to tip each person. In either case, you can always tip more than the suggested amounts.

We put our tips on the SeaPass, but put in additional cash for those we feel gave us extra service.

All tips are given at the end of the week such as the dining room staff is given theirs at the last dinner, your cabin steward is given him just before you go to dinner.

As mentioned, all drinks have 15% automatically put on the charge and if you wish to tip additionally, you may do so when you receive your drink. I hope this helps you.

Katie

Archived