travel insurance questions

Hi,

Haven't posted in a while. I booked our first cruise a few months ago but didn't even think about trip insurance at that time. Now it's kind of late. But another itinerary has opened up that is actually better suited for us, and I'm going to switch to that one. I want to do it RIGHT this time, and get the trip insurance early. :)

A while back I had read postings about pros and cons of different travel insurance policies, but can't find them now. Can someone please either point me in the right direction, or give me suggestions (including url's if possible)?

DH is wheelchair bound and there is always the possiblity of some health issue arising between now and the cruise....or on the cruise itself. :eek: Of course we want coverage for the typical things like delays/cancellations/etc.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Three Rings

Can not point you to any particular insurance company because we always use the one used by the cruise company we are sailing. But in noticing you were talking about switching from one itinerary to another, I am making the assumption it is with the same cruise company. If that is the case, you need to make sure that it is considered a new booking, because in order to cover "pre-existing conditions" the insurance normally needs to be purchased within a limited number of days of the booking - let us say 10 or 14, because they vary. If your there is an accident or illness related to current disability or illness, you need to be sure you are covered for pre-existing. And remember, if you are on Medicare, it does not cover anything outside US and territories.:)

Thanks leoandhugh,

We are booking directly with Royal Caribbean. I wasn't aware that they offer their own trip insurance. Have you had experience with it, and would you recommend it? Do you know if it covers pre-existing conditions?

By the way, DH has a Medicare Advantage policy (Aetna Medicare Premier) which does cover emergencies worldwide.

Three Rings

Thank the good Lord we have never had to use it, but always take it, so experience wise we have had none and hope to keep it that way. The only time I got sick on a cruise, I was still working and therefore covered by my AT&T Medical policy. Ended up being taken off a ship in St Petersburg and flown to Helsinki in a medivac plane with 2 doctors and then 3 weeks in the University Hospital in Helsinki - bill was over $125K and that was over 15 years ago.

The RCCL policy does cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase it within the stipulated time of making your deposit. I don't remember specifically what RccL is but it is either 7 or 14days of making the initial deposit. If you have any problem using that site I gave you my email is leo2hugh@msn.com.

We had to use a medvac while on a Celebrity cruise, which uses the same insurance. One company handles the emergency and another the remaining claims. The emergency part went well, however the other company lost our paperwork a number of times. For preexisting to kick in, the cruise deposit as well as the insurance premium must be made within a few days of the booking. Many travel agents do not apply the insurance until the final payment and this could cause problems.

We never buy travel insurance from the cruise company - it will not cover you if the cruise company goes bankrupt. Granted, most of these lines are doing very well, but you never know. The great web site where you can compare the policies is http://www.insuremytrip.com We use it all the time. Try to buy a policy where medical coverage and evacuation are primary - that way you do not have to try to use your other insurances like health insurance and homeowners first, which will delay your reimbursement.

We've used our trip insurance twice now. It was definitely worth the under $250 cost ( for 2) to get our $1200 and $771 bills paid in full. The first time my DH got ill from cellulitis--the second time it was me. Both times the medical treatment we received was exactly in line with what we would have received at home albeit a tad more expensive.

I ALWAYS get it just in case. Most of the time I chalk it off like the money we "donate" to the slots hehheheh but when it was needed it was there :)

I would mention that we had to pay for the services and then we were reimbursed.

If you would like to know who we used just message me and I'll be glad to tell you.

Archived