Question about buying souveniers in port.

CruisinMama27

Nope they would confiscate the item and it will not be returned. They do the same thing with candles and such. They are very specific in the talks about what can and cannot be brought back on board the ship. If he really wants the item have it shipped home from the store that you purchase frm.

Nope they would confiscate the item and it will not be returned. They do the same thing with candles and such. They are very specific in the talks about what can and cannot be brought back on board the ship. If he really wants the item have it shipped home from the store that you purchase frm.

He was just curious but thanks alot for the answer:D Happy cruising.

If my husband was to buy as a souvenier, a knief or some other type of weapon. How would he bring it back onto the ship? Would they use the same procedure they use for when you buy liquor while in port? Thanks:)

Carnival's web site states:

Scuba Gear Diving Knives: Diving knives are permitted on board. Due to security reasons, the knife will be confiscated by Shoreside Security at embarkation and turned over to the ship's Chief Security Officer. The guest will sign for the knife for diving excursions and return it to the Chief Security Officer upon returning to the ship. At the end of the cruise, the knife is returned to the guest in the cruise ship terminal.

That probably doesn't answer your question fully but it gives you a place to start. If you're unsure of anything it's always best to call Carnival and get the straight story. It costs nothing but a little time.

Enjoy.

I bought a couple of fairly good size pocket knives in Alaska and I handed them over as I reboarded just like I would have a bottle of liquor. I thought it was funny though because they returned them to me the last night of the cruise so I had them in my possession for almost 12hrs before I disembarked. I don't know what damage I could have done before that I couldn't have done in that 12 hrs.

They confiscate candles? I didn't know that. I have enough common sense not to burn them on the ship I just never knew they would actually take them....good thing that's not usually an item I buy abroad.

They confiscate candles? I didn't know that. I have enough common sense not to burn them on the ship .

You have enough common sense but many don't, thats why they take them away.

Don't know about buying a knife in port but i did see these 2 little boys get their plastic swords confiscated as they reboared from Cayman and they didn't get then back.

I bought a couple of fairly good size pocket knives in Alaska and I handed them over as I reboarded just like I would have a bottle of liquor. I thought it was funny though because they returned them to me the last night of the cruise so I had them in my possession for almost 12hrs before I disembarked. I don't know what damage I could have done before that I couldn't have done in that 12 hrs.

While sailing on Princess my brother bought a large machete to take home to his son. They did the same thing, took it from him and returned it the night before disembarking.

My husband bought two swords and they held them until the end of the cruise. they delivered them with the liquor the night before. Another time I had bought a nice letter operner and they took that and gave it to me as I disembarked the ship. You should be able to buy weapons and have them store them for you. just make sure they go in checked luggage for the flight home!

I read that TSA took all those cutting blocks and knives from travelers returning from Alaska. That was probably the best souvenier they sold along the Chotcka trail. I thing national security is getting out of hand. @ more years and we can return to a democracy unless W cancels the election.

When I purchased a sling shot in Mexico, they held it & returned it to me at the end of the cruise.

DH & I boarded the Valor in December directly in front of a lady who had purchased 3 sling shots for her grandchildren who were not on the cruise with her.

Security confiscated the items and told the lady they would be destroyed which lead to a very harsh verbal yelling match with the unhappy grandmother. Grandma did not win the argument.

I believe confiscation policies of such items must be up to the discretion of the individual ship's security force.

Dianne

I read that TSA took all those cutting blocks and knives from travelers returning from Alaska. That was probably the best souvenier they sold along the Chotcka trail. I thing national security is getting out of hand. @ more years and we can return to a democracy unless W cancels the election.

I bought three of those while in Alaska. No one took them from me. At which point were the confiscated? My Alaska trip was May of 2006. I absolutely love mine and use it all the time. They are great. For those interested, even for those not interested :D , they are called Ulu Knives.

I have to agree, national security is definately getting out of hand. If a terrorist wanted to use something such as this, they can be purchased online.....weapons can be bought anywhere here.

My husband and I were on the Legend last summer. While in San Juan my husband bought a replica pirate pistol at El Morro, it was a children's toy and boxed. They would not let him board the ship. They did not confiscate it. They wouldn't even let him throw it away on the gang way. They made him leave the ship to get rid of it. He wound up going into one of the shops right at the terminal and paying them to ship it to our home. It worked. It arrived about 5 days after we had returned home.

So did they return them to the original sellers so they could be sold a gain?:eek: Talk about enterprising.

So did they return them to the original sellers so they could be sold a gain?:eek: Talk about enterprising.

Sailed NCL Star to Aaska last year and brought several Ulu knives on board from multiple ports with no problem from security. Sailed Carnival Valor in November the same year and saw sling shots confiscated from passengers boarding in Roatan. Pax were told the items would be destroyed,.

Different cruise lines, differnet ships, different views from security.

Dianne

Archived