Snorkeling and Certification

I'm debating taking a snorkeling course and becoming certified. I know I would love it! My question is, what happens when I'm qualified? What equipment do I need to take on cruises? Do vendors supply equipment? What, specifically? Please, help me. Silver:cool:

If you have never snorkeled before, taking a class is a good way to learn. All of the snorkel excursions I have been on give you a quick class before they let you in the water.

All of the snorkel excursions provide the equipment for free but you do have a risk that their equipment doesn't fit or isn't clean.

Snorkel gear isn't very expensive. If you own your own gear, you can snorkel for free at most beaches. You only need a mask, fins, snorkel, and maybe a snorkel vest (use to inflate in an emergency). Some of the snorkel gear comes with a nice backpack to keep everything in.

If you ever decide to get SCUBA certified, you may be able to use the your snorkel gear with your SCUBA (if it is good enough quality).

If you have never snorkeled before, taking a class is a good way to learn. All of the snorkel excursions I have been on give you a quick class before they let you in the water.

What confused me was being certified in snorkeling. Prior to learning how to SCUBA, it is a requirement to be proficient in snorkeling.

What confused me was being certified in snorkeling. Prior to learning how to SCUBA, it is a requirement to be proficient in snorkeling.

I am a PADI Master SCUBA Diver and there is not a requirement to be proficient in snorkeling prior to learning how to SCUBA. In the SCUBA Open Water Certification class, they teach you how to use a snorkel and how to clear water out of a snorkel.

BTW, I have never heard of a snorkel certification.

Archived