Madrid Hotel

We will be in Madrid in eary July this year, we are looking for a nice medium priced hotel, in a good location, convenient to get to things. Can you make any recommendations.

Hi, Tony...

I can't be all that helpful here (mostly because I can't even remember where I stayed the prior time (some small pensione), but this last visit--summer before last--we stayed at the Emperatriz...and I can at least give you a report on that one...

http://www.hotelemperatrizmadrid.com/

We chose the hotel because we found an incredible deal on the rate (like under $100 per night) and most of the nicer hotels closer to the center of town were extremely pricey...

This hotel is in the Salamanca District, a little north of center...About a block from the US Embassy...

We enjoy walking, so we tended to walk most everywhere from here...but it is a fairly long walk to most places...There is a pretty good subway system, the hop-on, hop-off buses stop fairly close...and Madrid is a fairly easy city to get around...For our tours to Toledo and to Avila/Segovia, Viatur came and picked us up at the hotel (but left us in Downtown each time)...

The hotel itself was very nice...well worthy of the 4-star rating... Our room was very comfortable and attractively decorated...Front desk personnel were polite, helpful and accessable...

It may not be the right choice for you if you'd prefer to be closer to the Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol...

But, if you want a little quieter neighborhood and lower price...and are willing to walk a bit or take some buses, subways or taxis, it may be a good choice...

Hopefully Gunther and Uta will see this and maybe know of a few more options...

Good luck...

We will be in Madrid in eary July this year, we are looking for a nice medium priced hotel, in a good location, convenient to get to things. Can you make any recommendations.

Thanks

Cruiser53

I don't know what you consider "medium priced". The hotel I always stay in Madrid is Hotel Villa Real of the Derby chain of hotels. Location is great, almost in front of the Prado, and also very close to Plaza Santa Ana which I love for the tapas bars there. Also is walking distance to Plaza Mayor.

The last 3 summers I have paid between 130-140 Euros for a double. It is considered a 5 star hotel but I would classify it more as a 4 star. Regardless, it is very nice , great service.

check the website at http://www.derbyhotels.com

Summer is actually considered low-season for hotel rates in Madrid. You should be able to get a really good deal at almost any hotel.

If you state what you consider medium-price, I'd be glad to give you some suggestions.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Thank you everyone for all your recommendations. By medium priced I am talking about $150-$175 per night. I was just given a recommendation by my agent "GRAN HOTEL CANARIAS" It is literally directly in front of the Prado On Paseo Del Prado. Have you ever heard of this hotel. If you have any other recommendations I would appreciate it. I am looking to stay in the center of things.

Thanks

Cruiser53

Hi Cruiser,

Yes, I am familiar with the Gran Canarias. It sits almost on the Paseo del Prado, in front of Museo del Prado. A good friend of mine stayed there recently. I think she was fine with the hotel but had some issues with the Concierge regarding lack of information. I don't remember the details. But I think she didn't have problems with the room.

Like Gunther said, summer is low season in Madrid. You should have no problem getting a good hotel. The Villa Real would probably fall in your budget. Its location is very similar to the Gran Canarias, it is a little further back from Paseo del Prado. I like the location slightly better as you are still very close to Prado and the other museums and closer to Plaza Mayor, Plaza Santa Ana.

I suggest that you check the reviews for both hotels ( and any others) in Tripadvisor.

Archived