Formal nights

schnauzersrule

Hi everyone,

My DH and I are slated to sail in the Med next month. It is my understanding that there will be three formal nights on our 12 day cruise. I plan to bring one gown and two cocktail dresses. Is one of the formal nights more formal that the others? Which night do you recommend I plan to wear the gown? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Some people say that the first night is the more formal. You see gowns and cocktail dresses all formal nights.

My personal rule of thumb is to wear the dresses in order of fit - the tightest one first, the loosest one last. If you do it the other way, you might end up wearing one of the dresses twice!

We have been on several cruises that had 3 formal nights. We will be sailing on the Century 4/26 with 3 formal nights. What I do is bring 2 formals. I wear one the 1st night, the 2nd the second night and the 1st one the 3rd night. No one remembers what you wear and who needs to bring all that extra clothing? I bring a gown for 1 & 3 and a long skirt (which I use for other nights) and formal top for #2.

Hope this helps.

Bon Voyage,

Arlenedow

On cruises with three or more formal nights, it seems as though the last one is the "baked Alaska" night...but I wouldn't say that was necesarrily MORE formal than the others...I mean, it is Lobster night, but the lobster certainly doesn't care what you wear!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. You might want to look at the schedule once you board, as I don't always have the energy to go hog wild getting ready if the formal night falls on the evening that we are leaving port....and the Med cruises tend to be very port-intensive. I'd save my 'best' efforts for those formal nights that coincide with sea days....

Andrew

schnauzersrule,

Hi everyone,

My DH and I are slated to sail in the Med next month. It is my understanding that there will be three formal nights on our 12 day cruise. I plan to bring one gown and two cocktail dresses. Is one of the formal nights more formal that the others? Which night do you recommend I plan to wear the gown? Thanks in advance for your advice.

None of the "formal" evenings are any more or less formal than the others. The same "modified formal" dress code applies to all three. Also, passengers seem to wear dressier outfits on cruises to Europe than on cruises to other destinations.

Frankly, I think your best option would be to bring three different sets of jewelry and other accessories for the gown and wear it on all three "formal" evenings. Those cocktail dresses would be perfect for the three or four "informal" evenings.

Norm.

schnauzersrule,

None of the "formal" evenings are any more or less formal than the others. The same "modified formal" dress code applies to all three. Also, passengers seem to wear dressier outfits on cruises to Europe than on cruises to other destinations.

Frankly, I think your best option would be to bring three different sets of jewelry and other accessories for the gown and wear it on all three "formal" evenings. Those cocktail dresses would be perfect for the three or four "informal" evenings.

Norm.

I don't think there are too many woman who would want to wear the same outfit for ALL three formal nights. Some of the formal nights DO seem to be more "formal" or dressier than others. The one with the captain always seems to be soomewhat more pumped up. Wear what makes you feel special and pretty.

Jenn.

snowmouse,

On our Galaxy 10 day in June we have 2 formal nights. Our itinerary only has 2 sea days. Would it be safe to assume that these will be the designated 'formal' nights?

Not unless they fall on the second day and the next to last day before disembarkation day. On my cruise to Hawai'i aboard GTS Infinity last year, the second "formal" evening was on the Sunday that we were in port, and that cruise had eight days at sea.

Norm.

Jenn,

I don't think there are too many woman who would want to wear the same outfit for ALL three formal nights. Some of the formal nights DO seem to be more "formal" or dressier than others. The one with the captain always seems to be soomewhat more pumped up.

On Celebrity, the "one with the captain" actually are both the first (Captain's "Welcome Aboard" Toast) and last (Captain's Farewell Toast)....

Norm.

Archived